Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Used Phone: iPhone 4s or Nexus 4?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

thinking along the lines of likely battery health, ‘fullness’ from updates and consequent slowness.
    usage demands won’t be too heavy. little data usage etc. mostly calls and audiobooks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whats the budget?
    The old Nexus 5 was getting sold off cheap

cp

I just got a nexus 5 16gb from eBay (from Hong Kong) for 108 delivered. Bargain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

For the price of them you could get a new Moto X I think…

hammyuk
    Free Member

You really need the processor speed of the 5/5s onwards to run os9.
    Similar money for a 16gb up to £200’sh for a mint 64gb 5

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Probably wouldn’t recommend a Nexus4, seems to be a lot of them experiencing problems post Lollipop OS update. Mine turns itself off at least once a week and doesn’t turn on again at the first attempt, Sister’s was doing it more frequently (post lollipop update) and then died completely (I tried changing the battery, but it was completely dead) lots of reports of issue on the internet. Chances are that lots of them are being sold on ebay with intermittent issues, but not all sellers are going to necessarily state this, so it’s very much going to be a lottery for you. TBH I think that buying any smartphone 2nd hand is too much of a risk, they’re fragile little items, packed with lots of little electronics, used regularly outdoors, often dropped etc etc

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m still running a nexus4. Tbh, compared to modern phones, it’s showing its age. As a device it was released about 3 years ago, which is pretty ancient.

Its perfectly capable of doing most things I need, but the lollipop update isn’t particularly stable, which is annoying because lollipop brought some nice functionality with it. I’ve just replaced the battery for the princely sum of 12.95.

Tbh, I’m torn between side loading kit kat back on it, but it’s mostly just stable enough that I haven’t. If you’re not a heavy user and can get a kit kat one, I’d say you’d be fine.

PePPeR

I just bought an LG G flex 2 from Debenhamsplus for just over £200 I can’t see the point in buying second hand.

As a case in point to pay for this I sold 2 cracked and overheating Samsung Note 2’s for spares and repairs and they sold for £60 each and a cracked screen and frame LG G3 for £65.

Why pay silly money for second hand phones?

The LG brand are good to look at, as they have the same processors and updates as the other brands but sell for far far less.

ampthill

We need a budget

I did used note 1 for 2 years. So i owned the phone from years 2 to 4. It was OK but I decided that physically phones don’t age that well

So this time I went newer but more budget orientated phone

I paid £126 for a new but unused Sony M4 aqua. It could do with a bit more memory but its been great for about 3 months so far

Oh and older phones have the aging battery problem

My daughter has nice windows phone £60 new (Nokia 630 I think). Does everything she wants and seems responsive

Neither of these phones has a great camera though

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks all
    budget is kida SFA. it my mrs who’s buying and she wants to spend €100, but let’s say £100 for the sake of the discussion
    i wouldny bother and would get a newish nexus 5,but she wants smaller

good to hear about nexus 4 issues

matt_outandabout

I bet you can get Moto g, 3rd gen in a January sale fir that. We pay £119 at work for them from Vodafone.

PePPeR

Ah. With that budget get the moto g end of.

I have one for work and my kids all have them. Brilliant phones.

al2000

As above, a Nexus 5 would be a better bet than a 4. Nexus 4 is decent enough but getting a bit long in the tooth.

kimbers

Just replaced my nexus4 for a moto g 3rd gen off Amazon.fr 135 quid black Friday deal

I miss the wireless charging, but SD card slot is great and is definitely an improvement overall

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Used Phone: iPhone 4s or Nexus 4?’ is closed to new replies.