Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Used, good SID or NOS Reba Team for twice the price?
  • snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

Hi guys, I’m being offered a good condition set of white 2009 SIDs for £150 or ‘new’ unused 2009 Reba Teams for £300.

I ride mostly on road so would be locked out, but want sus forks for the odd bit of rough track with potholes.

I guess this means that weight is more important than specs but I think they weigh about the same.

Brakes are Shim 515s, currently on Judy 100TTs…I’m assuming they can direct-mount.

What are your thoughts?

njee20
    Free Member

SIDs

2009 could be post or IS mount, if the former you may need an adapter for your brake.

Why not get a light rigid fork though?

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

Thanks…it looks like the SID is post-mount. I need to make a phone call to find out about the Team Rebas.

Unfortunately it seems that the 515 brake can’t use an adapter to go to post mount so I’d be looking at a new caliper too…only hope there’s a cable-operated Shimano pm caliper in existence…

I’d rather have some cushioning than being bounced all over the place on the mile of rough potholed track I have to cover before I get to the roads, and the idea of a rigid fork on a Stumpy frame just seems sacrilegious, as if using it as a road bike wasn’t enough insult 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Sounds a bit crazy to me to compromise on the rest of the ride, but hey!

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

So you mean that to keep shocks would compromise the road ride because of the weight?

I’ll look at P2s and maybe On-One…

andrewh
    Free Member

Given that choice I would go for the SIDs (can’t beleivethere is no brake adapter, must be one somewhere!) but for that money you can have your choice of rigid forks which would probably be more suitable.

colande
    Free Member

I’d go with rigid forks and if you want a bit more comfort get some larger volume tyres.

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

That’s an idea – just went from 1.75 to 1.5 and can feel the difference even with that. Maybe I should keep nice fat-mounted wheels to swap over at the end of the track! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a mile. I’d ride that on a road bike!

Scapegoat

The SID for 150 sounds good, but if it’s only for a bit of rough track and mostly road, you could pick up a Tora for less than £100 and spend the rest on some Deore brakes that will fit any fork.

fathomer

I’d go ridged as well. But £300 for 2009 Rebas is expensive isn’t it, have a look on Merlin, pretty sure you can 12/13 cheaper?

andyl
    Free Member

Surely your shimano disc brakes are post mount already and use an IS to post mount adapter. They should just bolt directly up for a 160mm rotor or use a post mount + 20mm adapter for a 180mm disc.

I wouldn’t take the rebas, as above you could get a 2012/13 version for less than £300 if you shop around but out of the 2 I would go SIDs and save £150.

But I would also go with a carbon rigid fork for that. Will make the rough track much more fun tbh and be a lot better for the road.

edit: ahh no, you have old cable brakes. Looks like they are not post mount capable unless you buy a post to IS adapter and possibly a 180mm disc and keep the existing adapter. Or just buy a new post mount caliper for a few £ and swap it over. Easy to do with cable brakes.

Link: http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/post-mount-adaptor-help-739314.html

andyl
    Free Member

This should convert your brake but will need a 180mm disc which you can pick up cheap from the classifieds: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-74mm-post-mount/

GeForceJunky

£300 will buy you some 2013 Reba RLs new from merlin cycles!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Used, good SID or NOS Reba Team for twice the price?’ is closed to new replies.