Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Used car and no documents
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Seen a lovely cheap runaround ideal for me and the bikes. Goes great.
    Only thing is the used car dealership doesn’t have the log book.

Long and short I cant tax it right away can I?

JulianA
    Free Member

Hmm. Do they actually own it and can they legally sell it?

peteimpreza

Walk away

oldgit
    Free Member

Ahh bugger, it’s on the forecourt and on auto trader.

Cougar

On the one hand, a dealer should be trustworthy (because everyone knows used car salesmen are never dishonest).

On the other, they must’ve bought / accepted a car without evidence that the seller was entitled to sell it. In which case, that’s not a trustworthy dealer.

Is it HPI checked, at least?

iolo
    Free Member

Tell them you’ll buy it when they have the paperwork in order. Its something a dealer can sort out quite easy.
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book

JulianA
    Free Member

HPI check is only about £35…

iolo
    Free Member

He can’t tax it until the logbook is available. That takes 6 weeks.
    So you can’t drive a car you’ve just bought for a month and a half.

drewd

I think you can tax it if they have the green new keepers slip. I think it’s the V62, it has a document reference number on it that you can use.

That said I would want to know why they have no paperwork for it.

tonyg2003

Also there is the risk that it’s a log book loan car. Walk away.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lots of cars out there , I’d walk away

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Don’t walk; Run!

chewkw
    Free Member

^^^ … Run then nuke the place.

garage-dweller

It’s easier than that he doesn’t need to walk or run away. He just needs to stay away / not go there thus saving energy, time and a whole heap of potential problems.

craig5

It may just be a case of its a part exchange, which the seller had only owned for a few weeks and hadn’t received the v5 yet when they part exchanged it. The garage would be waiting for the change of ownership. I don’t see how they can sell it until this is completed with their seller. I was in this position a month ago, the garage retained money against my part exchange until I gave them the v5 I was waiting for.

chewkw
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    He just needs to stay away / not go there thus saving energy, time and a whole heap of potential problems.

True, true or stop looking at it on inter web … 😆

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What is it?

PePPeR

You can tax it, you just have to fill in a V62 at the post office to apply for a log book and pay the fee to purchase the log book at the same time!

steveh

Having the V5 is no proof of ownership, as it says in big letters across the front nowadays. Ask them for reasons why it isn’t present but as above you apply for the v5 and tax at the same time. Invoice from them delcaring they have title to sell and your risk is low.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wonder why its cheap……

gonzy
    Free Member

if its this car then you’ll be fine…

murf
    Free Member

Shameless plug: I’m about to flog a mk4 Golf 1.6 petrol estate, it’s been a great wee bike wagon for us.
    Where abouts are you?

oldgit
    Free Member

Sorted. V62 at Post Office checks out it with a dealer. All clear, fees refunded by dealer car now on drive.

We’re buying a brand new car late next year so just needed a stop gap.

Liked this 1k banger, Diesel Scenic 76,000 miles. All good and straight and will be a great bike car for me when the new one arrives.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Used car and no documents’ is closed to new replies.