Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Used bike purchased, doesn't quite seem to be as advertised. Advice please!
    Free Member

Hi there,

I bought a used bicycle from another bike forum, engaged in lots of communication with the seller and he agreed to sell me the bike using paypal as the payment method (bit of security for me) and as the bike was at the other end of the country, viewing in person wasn’t an option. A deal was made knowing that it needed a new spoke or two in the rear wheel, the forks leaked a little oil and one of the bottle bosses was loose.

Anyway, the listing on the buy/sell forum has been removed, so difficult for me to use before/after images.

It arrived well packaged, after taking off the packaging and out of the box I notice afew things that I wasn’t aware of previously:
    A crack in the fork steerer near the top (not below the star fangled nut).
    Several severe rub marks, almost gouges to the paint finish. (don’t know whether any of the metal thickness has been affected, but it’s down to the metal)
    Heel rub marks would be putting it lightly, paint finish removed in two fairly large area’s on the swinging arm.
    Both bottle bosses are seized, not just the one.

I’ve contacted the seller but have never been in this situation before so I’m a little unsure of how best to proceed.

In total, I paid £500 for the bike, it’s a 2011 model and has some upgraded rim/hub combination so the price reflected the additional work that was to be done. I don’t think there’s any intent from the seller to rip me off, more just not noticing these issues or simply forgetting to mention them.

Any guidance/advice most appreciated.

cheers.
    JT

peter1979
    Free Member

If youre not happy then email the seller, raise your concerns and ask for a refund then send the bike back? Paypal covers you for this.

bikeneil
    Free Member

and as the bike was at the other end of the country, viewing in person wasn’t an option

There’s your problem. No help now though, sorry.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How was the thread removed? I thought you had 10 mins to edit, then it stayed?

nealglover
    Free Member

…..another bike forum

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

You cant get to see the bike as you say.3 things are mentioned that are wrong with it doesn’t that get the alarm bells ringing!!!!.That a lot more will be wrong with it?

julians
    Free Member

Its a 4 year old second hand mountain bike, you’d expect heel rub marks and cable rub marks wouldn’t you?

I would, but if I was a picky person id inspect in person before buying, that way you wont be disappointed.

I think people buying things second hand from private sellers on the internet are getting more and more unrealistic about their transactions.

Its second hand, you’re not paying full price (hopefully nowhere near it) , the law is clear that its sold as seen in a private sale, with no guarantees offered at all. Caveat emptor and all that.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

…..another bike forum

Ah, yes… 😳

user-removed
    Free Member

It’s easy to get used to slight imperfections on your own bike. Nothing other than the crack sounds like a worry. Perhaps send the seller some photos and request a small partial refund.

boxelder

using paypal as the payment method (bit of security for me)

There you are then

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Used bike purchased, doesn't quite seem to be as advertised. Advice please!’ is closed to new replies.