Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • USE skewers
  • ventanarider
    Free Member

Anybody had any issues with them coming loose?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

you have

radar
    Free Member

First set I ever owned the thread stripped off, USE replaced them. Other than that no issues at all. Don’t know why more people don’t use them. Superlightweight, not too pricey.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t know why more people don’t use them

Because those of us who’ve had other USE stuff and seen it (repeatedly) fail, snap and fall to bits daren’t hold wheels in with their stuff.
    Wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole, TBH

lovewookie

Mine snapped. fortunately while I wa trying to tighten them up in my flat, rather than on the trail in the middle of nowhere.

never again.

See the really old USE seatposts seemed to go on forever as long as you remembered they were XC posts. My carbon alien snapped after a month, the Alien heads are great once you get them into position, but if there’s any adjustment to be done it involved loosening the bolts off all the way then smacking the shit out of it with a rock.

The cyclops head was supposed to solve all the problems. Unfortunately, instead of gripping the shaft of the bolt, meaning that undoing it would splay the sections of the alien head apart, thus loosening it’s grip, it slid along the shaft, meaning that you just had a slightly larger bolt to smack the shit out of with a rock.

The SUB fork is great too. Works exactly how it should. Apart from the internals heating up so much that you go from just enough damping to syrup forks if you go over anything more than stutter bumps. I ended up taking a small drill bit to my damper bits of plastic, just to get the thing working OK. It was fine if you rely on friction to damp it.

grumble grumble…..

Stoner
    Free Member

Apart from the internals heating up so much that you go from just enough damping to syrup forks if you go over anything more than stutter bumps. I ended up taking a small drill bit to my damper bits of plastic, just to get the thing working OK. It was fine if you rely on friction to damp it.

wookie, can you take me through that please? what did you drill and why again?

lovewookie

sorry, bit slow to respond.

Basically from what I remember it was the bore of the plastic insert that you get with the forks. cant remember if it was just the main bore, or the side hole as well, it was several years ago. Anyway, it wasn’t big enough as it was overdamping the fork, so I widened it until it let enough air pass.

Worked fine after that.

molgrips
    Free Member

My carbon alien snapped after a month,

They had a bad batch of those. I had one that went (albeit after about 4 years) and the next two I’ve had have been spot on.

the Alien heads are great once you get them into position, but if there’s any adjustment to be done it involved loosening the bolts off all the way then smacking the shit out of it with a rock.

There’s a knack to it. Loosen the bolt, stick a larger allen key between the pieces of the clamp and gently lever them apart on both sides. Don’t blame the company if you can’t work stuff out 🙂 Well ok – do blame them, but it’s not rubbish – they’ve just saved as much weight as possible by making a clamp that’s usable but more fiddly. The post falls into the weight-weenie only category, they should advertise that more.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

my alien lasted years and only snapped after a large hit at glentress. even then it was the aluminum that went, not the seriously scratched and abused carbon. and i’m not a lightweight.

STATO
    Free Member

Having issues with the new sumo post, but not skewers. Been using the skewers for years, no problems at all, Ti ones dont add much strength to the front end tho so not good for a noodly fork. Also you might think they arnt properly tight when doing them up as they can twist due to springyness of the Ti.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘USE skewers’ is closed to new replies.