Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Use of NAS at home – streaming DVDs/etc
  • clubber
    Free Member

I have three computers at home (2x XP, 1x W7) all on the network – one XP via ethernet, the other two wifi (N router and N on the computers, getting about 108-135Mbps).

Currently one of the XP computer connected via wifi has all the music/ripped DVDs/etc on it but I’m thinking of getting a NAS connecting it via ethernet to the router so that it’s easier to get play around the house and doesn’t need the other computer turned on all the time.

So, the main question is will it work? Will it be fast enough to stream DVDs?

Any specific recommendations would be good too though looking at the cheaper end of the market.

TIA

richmars

I’ve got a Western Digital ‘World Book’ NAS, works fine for music but not tried it with ripped DVD’s. Can also stream to my ipod touch with an app.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve got a ReadyNAS Duo that streams to TV’s, PS3’s, XBMC & iPhones around the house. I can stream mkv video files to 2x LCD’s & still use it for music and video for the iphone at the same time.

I’m not sure if WiFi could cope with a 4-8gb 1-2hour files to multiple clients, we’ve got cat6 all through the house.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

I use a Buffalo Linkstation NAS 500gb. It has a built in BitTorrent client so you can download stuff while your PC is off and will stream media to any DLNA device. Xbox, PS3 etc. Is also itunes aware so you can stream your media from that too.

It will be fast enough to stream DVDs as it has a 1gb ethernet connection.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Wireless N should be fast enough. Even G is fast enough, depends on the bitrate of the video you are streaming. Should be fine for most HD content.

stevehine

I stream video / music from my server to a media player – it’s fine over the wired network; not reliable over wi-fi; however I haven’t bothered switching to an ‘N’ based router as I’ve installed network cable instead…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

It’s a great idea to free up your data, turn off a machine and also reduce power consumption.

I have one set up as a server – media and web – and it’s up to steaming hi-def and playing music all round the house.

The more you spend, the more capable it gets and more features you have but even the basic ones have all sorts of built in servers, for doing stuff like iTunes and bitorrent etc.

DNLA will also let devices connect and share content – my Samsung TV can stream direct from the NAS.

I upgraded from an IcyBox 4220 to a Qnap TS239 Pro, mainly for faster file transfer (hi res photos, large video files) due to the much faster CPU. Expensive, but if you are moving large files and backing up lots, it could be worth it.

However, the slower Icybox could still steam a DVD rip to at least two different machines at the same time and handled all my iTunes. Backups off the NAS to the network were a bit slow.

Don’t know if it’s of interest but the IcyBox is for sale, £45 posted, just needs drives.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/02/01/icy-box-ib-nas4220-b-network-storage/4

cranberry
    Free Member

I stream ripped DVDs from my Qnap219p no problem over wireless N( though generally only to 1 machine at a time). It also doubles as my file-server/web photo server, and when I re-installed a laptop at work I simply used ftp to copy down the 50Gb of music on there over the course of a day.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks all. grav-slav – where was the icy box at £45?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Sorry, bad wording and a cheeky punt on the thread – I should have said ‘my’ Icybox instead of ‘the’. I am selling mine, along with a licence for the trial of Twonky Media that is bundled. Email in porifle if you are interested. If not, get a NAS anyway, they are very useful!

clubber
    Free Member

GS – YGM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Use of NAS at home – streaming DVDs/etc’ is closed to new replies.