Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Use of a Running Track in Manchester or Nearby
  • Duggan

Hi All

Does anybody know if local running tracks are generally open to the public and specifically of any in Manchester or nearby?

I’m aiming to run a sub-40min 10k and so looking to do a heart rate test and some speed drills etc, so being able to use a running track for an hour every now and again would be ideal.

Even my local park seems sufficiently busy that going full-pelt for 30mins would be slightly reckless as there’s a fair few kids, grannies, dogs etc.

I know there’s a track at Woodbank Park in Stockport and I think one at Wythenshawe Park but not really sure what the protocol generally is for using them?

I’m not affiliated to a running club or anything.

Interested to know if anybody else has needed to use one recently?

Harry_the_Spider

There’s one in Bury too. Maybe worth dropping them a line.

irelanst
    Free Member

Not local to Manchester but I’ve had to be a club member of every track I’ve been to.

Maybe look into which club has sessions at your local track – membership is usually quite cheap

Ro5ey
    Free Member

How about local secondary schools? Many will have their athletics tracks marked out this time of year.

Obviously out of hours, jump the fence and away you go…. Im lucky there is a school about 2K away (nice warm up) who’s track is easy accessible.

Good luck

bartesque

linky
    directory of uk running tracks some of which are open to the public.

I have not searched for any local to you.

spacey

Trafford and Sale running clubs both have tracks. Surely makes sense to join one of them and tap in to their training and coaching programmes. I know Chorlton Runners use the Trafford track every Friday and they are pretty welcoming to new members.

Duggan

Thanks for all the replies. Some good ideas and I didn’t think about checking local schools.

I’m only really running in the short term whilst I (hopefully) recover from a cycling injury so not sure if it’s worth joining a running club.

I’ve emailed the admin at Woodbank Park track so will update the thread when I get a reply just in case anybody is interested.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Use of a Running Track in Manchester or Nearby’ is closed to new replies.