Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • USB v Flash drive
  • Trekster

Explain the difference pls.

Which is best?
    Ta

GrahamA
    Free Member

Are they not the same thing?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Your USB drive will have flash memory in it.
    USB = the hole it fits in
    Flash drive = memory in the cute little plastic lego brick/branded freebee/essential work transporting device.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

… or something like that anyway…

CountZero

Universal Serial Bus (USB) is a specification[1] to establish communication between devices and a host controller (usually personal computers), developed and invented by Ajay Bhatt while working for Intel.[2][3] USB is intended to replace many varieties of serial and parallel ports. USB can connect computer peripherals such as mice, keyboards, digital cameras, printers, personal media players, flash drives, and external hard drives. For many of those devices, USB has become the standard connection method. USB was designed for personal computers, but it has become commonplace on other devices such as smartphones, PDAs and video game consoles, and as a power cord between a device and an AC adapter plugged into a wall plug for charging. As of 2008, there are about 2 billion USB devices sold per year, and approximately 6 billion total sold to date.[4]

tails
    Free Member

both f**kin useless when you don't save your work on them. grrrrr

rs
    Free Member

dropbox better than either

Tracker1972
    Free Member

CountZero- like I said, something like that 🙂

CountZero

both f**kin useless when you don't save your work on them. grrrrr

So true. I was always told that you do it quicker second time around. Little consolation when the Photoshop file you've been working on for three quarters of an hour crashes when you do save it. Grrrrrr indeed.

Trekster

Tracker1972 – Member
    Your USB drive will have flash memory in it.
    USB = the hole it fits in
    Flash drive = memory in the cute little plastic lego brick/branded freebee/essential work transporting device.

Excuse me for being thick 😳 regards pc stuff but are you saying they are the same thing?
    Some makers are calling the device a flash stick and some a usb stick?

From countzeros description I take it that it is the "plug" that is the usb connection point and the memory bit is the flash bit, if that makes any sense?

rs – Member

Elaborate and example please.

Del

Excuse me for being thick regards pc stuff but are you saying they are the same thing?
    Some makers are calling the device a flash stick and some a usb stick?

you're excused 😀
    same thing.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Trekster – yes, you're right in your assumptions.

The 'USB' bit refers to the name of the 'plug' that the memory connects to. Sort of modern day PC equivalent of a 3-pin plug.

The 'flash' part is the actual memory on the card.

You can get them for pennies especially if you only need a small capacity one, but it's worth spending a couple more pennies for a decent brand. It's not unknown for them to got kapput which can be annoying if you're now sitting at home trying to get to the work you've brought home (ironically on a USB memory stick with a logo of you own compny on – cheapskates!).

Trekster

Cheers all.

Learn something new every day, old dog, new tricks etc 😆

Any idea what the Aldi stuff is like?

Cougar

Their tinned tomatoes are quite nice.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

cheap and cheerful like the rest of their stuff I imagine 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

rs – Member

Pretty shat if you've not got an internet connection though.

Stoner
    Free Member

dropbox cant handle multiple accounts on one pc either.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘USB v Flash drive’ is closed to new replies.