Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • USB sticks – any way to tell they're close to dying ?
  • scaredypants

They have a finite number of “saves” onto each bit of memory I believe

Can I test mine somehow to see if it’s close to death ?

spooky_b329

Don’t think thats true, they are solid state i.e. no moving parts.

Just make sure you never unplug it without ejecting it from start bar/menu first.

faz083
    Free Member

solid state do have a finite number of writes, however an SSD for the PC will last about 10-12 years with normal usage, so I highly doubt it will fail due to normal end of life, more likely something else.

BigJohn

If you keep the only copy of a really important file on one, that should do it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If you keep the only copy of a really important file on one, that should do it.

That’s true but the USBstick won’t break until you really really need the file.

There’s nothing to beat that smug feeling when you remember you have a back up copy.

Cougar

I’m not aware of any lifespan testing routines (other than writing continually till it fails, which will give you your answer but won’t really help in any practical way), but I’d say that it’s not worth worrying about. The drive will probably be obsolete before it fails. I’ve still got a working 16Mb (sic) USB drive somewhere.

Just make sure you never unplug it without ejecting it from start bar/menu first.

That’s not right either; USB is electrically hot-pluggable by design (it’s why the pins are different lengths), you’ll not damage it by failing to ‘eject’ the device within the OS.

What you might do is corrupt the data. The ejection procedure flushes the write cache out to the device, so failing to do so (or ripping it out in the middle of a write) can cause data loss. But that’s not the same as physical damage.

scaredypants

Ah, yes, good point about really important stuff

So if I keep a picture of me in speedos or something as 1st file in the list, it’ll NEVER fail – that also right ?

Cougar

For optimal results, set it to autoplay.

scaredypants

animated gifs – dancing ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘USB sticks – any way to tell they're close to dying ?’ is closed to new replies.