Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • USB rechargeable rear light up to £30
  • joebristol

Ive searched for threads on this (there must be some) but failed to bring up anything useful.

I’ve got 2 very cheap USB rechargeable rear lights hatbsit on the seatstays of my commuter which give good side visibility, but also run a bigger flashing light on the seatpost. The light is used there for years died and I bought a battery powered one in a sale but it’s chewing through batteries at a silly rate which seems unusual.

I fancy a new USB rechargeable one – up to £30 budget. I’d like to get it at lunchtime today ideally – I have access to Evans Cycles, Cycle Republic and Mud Dock (in in bristol near temple meads), but don’t have time to get to all 3.

I like the idea of a light that is permanently lit but also pulses at the same time – I’ve seen a few bikes with them on but not long enough to see who made them.

Any ideas on this / will £30 be enough for that type of pulsing light?

If not I just need a decent USB rechargeable rear light that fits easily to a seatpost and has various flashing / solid modes and lost ok battery life wise, is as bright as possible and is waterproof enough for all winter riding.

Thoughts?

otsdr
    Free Member

I have this one (modes here – *loud music warning*); bonus, it doubles as a retroreflector:

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ro/knog-blinder-mob-v-mr-chips-rear-light-44-lumen-EV314219

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you didn’t need it urgently I would recommend the alpkit tau rear light, great wee light and you could by two for £28. But since you need it today I won’t 🙂

joebristol

Evans it is then – looks like both those lights would probably do the job. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen large stocks of lights in Evans Bristol so hopefully one of those will be in stock! Cheers guys.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Exposure TraceR? Had lots of favorable comments using one in respect of being seen! £36 at Wiggle so slightly above budget but Evans or Cycle Republic will usually price match is asked.

prawny

If you can get a cateye rapid x2 for £30 I would recommend it, brilliant (no pun intended) things, battery lasts ages and can be post or stay mounted.

joebristol

So Evans didn’t have the cheapest exposure tracer in stock. Or the knog blinder detailed above. They did have the lezyne light above but I didn’t like the design where you plug the whole light into a USB socket to charge. Ended up with a moon nebula Witt 10% knocked off the £39.99 price. Just realised I could have price matched with an online store and probably got it for £30. Cba to go back round for £6 though.

Should do the job!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nebula is great, had one for just over a year, was going to mention them earlier but couldn’t see them on Evans website.

You probably won’t want to use anything stronger than the weakest flash mode… Think of drivers’ retinas! 😯

barrykellett
    Free Member

I’ve killed every single rear light I have ever had.
    Apart from these.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Bicycle-Bike-Front-Rear-Tail-Light-USB-Rechargeable-3LED-Lamp-4-modes/253087949620

£4.99

Buy half a dozen if you must spend the budget

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

FWIW, I just got one of the Exposure Tracer reakt ones off Wiggle at £36.
    Ordered at lunchtime to the newsagents down the street for Collect+ and was there 24 hours later.

Also, a damn good light. Recently saw a guy with one of these daybright lights and they are damn good. No idea what make (maybe a Bontrager Flare or something?) but this Exposure does well on the stand a way down the street and look at it test.

Plus, you know Exposure make a solid product and have great backup

mcnultycop

Flare or Flare R City.

joebristol

Charged the nebula – will try it out on the way home from work in a few hours and see how it goes.

Meant to be 100 lumens on the brightest solid mode and 180 lumens on the brightest flashing mode. Sounds ridiculously bright – if someone runs me over with that on, plus my existing 2 flashing seatstay lights then they need shooting.

I’ve found it’s even come with 3 mounting options – seatpost / saddle rails / belt clip. That’s a nice touch. Going on seatpost for now, but the saddle rails could be a good option when I’ve got time to play with it.

avdave2

Bontrager Flare is £31 at Sigma Sport – could get Evans to price match if it’s more convenient. I’ve been really impressed with mine.

joebristol

The Nebula is retina seeringly bright on the brightest solid setting. Ran that on the way home.

Some of the flashing settings have big gaps between the flashes – and the brightest one is a bit too much.

There is one flash setting where the light is constantly on low but flashes bright through it. I might try that mode next time as seems pretty good.

eskay

Joe, I think I have read that you commute to Bath. Longwell Green Aldi have the Fly rear camera copies reduced to £29.99. I have bought a few of them and are great as a light and camera quality is good as well.

joebristol

Hi there, I commute from temple meads to warmley so out that way yes! Also longwell green is just down the road from where I live. Do you live out this way then?

What are these camera / light things you’ve mentioned?

As it happens I’ve bought a back light today at lunchtime from Evans. Very happy with the modes / ridiculously bright leds- also fits easily and very sturdy!

If someone runs into the back of me they won’t be able to say they didn’t see me that’s for sure.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Nebula for me. Nothing comes close.

eskay

I am from Longwell Green Joe.

The light is the one shown here: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/aldis-cycling-kit-expands-in-every-way-except-the-price-351158

There were some initial problems with them that were resolved in a firmware flash. I am very impressed with mine and it gives me a modest sense of security that if someone is a ****t I may be able to prove it.

I have had a couple of issues in the last 12 months that could not be progressed because there were no witnesses or camera footage.

joebristol

That doesn’t sound too good if you’ve had some accidents / near misses! The driving in Bristol is pretty crap by and large – much worse than it used to be. That said I drive a lot with work and most big cities seem to be the same.

I try to commute (where I have time) the long way round – dropping down to Warmley off the main roads as much as possible then doing the 8 miles or so down the cycle track so nowhere near any roads (although you get some crazy riders causing accidents on the cycle track too now).

It’s the 4.5 mile route that worries me more – I go through crews hole – it’s fine along he towpath section – it’s going up Conham Hill where you get close passes as it’s slow on a bike and too narrow for cars to pass each other in the middle bit. People get impatient waiting to pass.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘USB rechargeable rear light up to £30’ is closed to new replies.