Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • USB pen drives from where?
  • bruneep

needing 10 or so pen drives for son(s) size around 16gb

ebay looks minefield of potential fakes. anywhere else to look?

Ta

samuri
    Free Member

amazon?
    mymemory

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

amazon, ebuyer, scan, dabs etc

unsponsored
    Free Member

Amazon. I use Sandisk Ultra at work – usually 32GB but they run at 80mb/sec. So far (pretty reliable), what is he using them for, it may make a difference as to what speed/usb 2.0 or 3.0 etc

bruneep

No 2 son, Needs to hand drive into different class teachers so they can check homework and upload new work onto it, hence why need multiple drives. Did ask if they could use google drive or dropbox etc but no.

No1 son off to uni taking some for pron sharing nae doot.

tonyplym
    Free Member

mymemory have some deals on multipacks – 4 @ Kingston GE9 16Gb for £18.89 delivered.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use scan.co.uk
    Dabs good too
    I try and avoid Amazon but they have plenty of options

CountZero

7dayshop are always reliable, and do good deals.
    These are £5.99 each: http://www.7dayshop.com/usb-flash-drives-1/sandisk-cruzer-fit-usb-2-0-flash-key-drive-16gb
    but they will discuss bulk prices. Pretty much all of their 16Gb are the same price, the Cruzer Blade is cheaper, but they’re out of stock at the mo’.

footflaps

There is an amazing difference in read/write speed between flash chips, I have 16 GB USB sticks which are 10x slower than others and all cost about the same…

johnners
    Free Member

Needs to hand drive into different class teachers so they can check homework and upload new work onto it, hence why need multiple drives. Did ask if they could use google drive or dropbox etc but

Inherent USB vulnerability exploited

Might be time to start thinking again about that, BadUSB is a bit theoretical/proof-of-concept for now but it may be the shape of things to come.

molgrips
    Free Member

Blimey… paranoid..

Anyway OP – what’s wrong with email?

Jamie
    Free Member

@johnners

Not sure that is a concern for a kid doing his homework.

Manufacturer > Retailer > Kid > Teacher.

Not sure where the rogue firmware can be flashed in that chain, as well as to what end.

euain

I would have thought some kids would think it’d be a laugh to trash the teacher’s computer. I can imagine doing it for shits and giggles when I was young and foolish.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think the USB vulnerability is the kind of thing you can easily do yourself.

However, putting a normal virus on it might be easy.

johnners
    Free Member

Not sure that is a concern for a kid doing his homework.

It’s an exotic vector and i don’t think it’s been reported in the wild so I’d agree it’s not something for a kid to be concerned about, at least for the moment.

However, the infection works 2 ways, USB device infects computer, which then flashes the amended firmware to any USB inserted subsequently. If a stick has ever been mounted it is potentially infected. even assuming it was initially bought from a reputable retailer who was sure of its provenance rather than from a grey importer or random eBay seller knocking out counterfeits. Once sticks start being passed back and forth the whole system is very vulnerable.

The end would be whatever malware usually targets, it’s unlikely to be the homework.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I would be surprised if a school computer even had access to mass storage devices via USB in the first place.

kcal

Amazon Kingston. 16GB might be quite big for what I’m suggesting, but maybe tout around local businesses bruce? Firms like Expro and the like must dish them out at conferences, open days..

RustyMac

Bruneep,

Just noticed this offer and thought it may be what your after.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/SanDisk/SanDisk-16GB-Cruzer-Blade-USB-Flash-Drive—4-Pack

bruneep

I asked school whats wrong with dropbox I got a blank stare..their way or no way it seems.

Elcheapo from amazon have been ordered

johnners
    Free Member

Oh, to answer the original question ebuyer have a few at £3.99, I can’t vouch for their performance but it’s unlikely to matter much for school work, surely?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘USB pen drives from where?’ is closed to new replies.