Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • USA trip purchases
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Im off to the states in a fortnight and just wondering if there is anything bike related that is worth looking out for when I am there that is likely to be significantly cheaper than back here in the UK?
    Cheers

dizcostix
    Free Member

Knolly frames from pricepoint – delivered to your hotel.

linky

Can pick up the endorphin with fox shock for a grand ($1700) or a little bit more with a CC DBAir.

In the Uk the same frame is £1700 as a comparison

TooTall
    Free Member

Other than bikes and frames, it depends where you are, what shops are there and whether they have deals on anything. The best bet is to just look and see what catches your eye. Remember sales tax adds to the tag price as well.

sandwicheater

Wander if you could pick up Rapha gear cheaper over there.

Chris King headset bling?

Are coke and hookers cheaper?

tonyg2003

The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment but you probably need to be looking for a good shop “close out” sale (clearance to you and me) to get a real bargain. Clothing/shoes etc… are obviously easiest to get back. However let me put it this way, I have a US credit card and US address that I can buy stuff via but due to warranty hassles/ getting stopped by customs I mostly don’t bother.

kayak23

Remember sales tax adds to the tag price as well.

Also, bear in mind customs problems.
    I came back with my bike from peru which was essentially made up from second hand components I’d bought in the UK, and a customs dude decided to make a point with me, trying to suggest that they could take my bike off me if I couldn’t prove that I had bought it in the UK.
    👿

TooTall
    Free Member

Wander if you could pick up Rapha gear cheaper over there.

‘Wonder’. The word is ‘wonder’. I’ve never seen Rapha in a shop in the UK.

Finding cheap Chris King in the US is like finding cheap Hope in the UK. Unlikely but it might happen.

midlifecrashes

Walmart for G-shock watches from $35, Clif bars by the boxload. Topeak tools in most LBS at £=$ pricing. Most bike shops I’ve been to over there seem more upmarket and service orientated than bargain bin culture. Quite a few Spesh, Trek and other brand stuff never makes it over here, and brands like RaleighUSA, JAmis and others you hardly see here, so still worth a mooch and a chat.

GHill

Unless you actually want to buy a full bike, my experience when living there was that it was more expensive on the whole – especially compared to the likes of CRC.

hot_fiat

Go-pro stuff. Bought my 2 in costco in Kona for £130, with the full wireless backpack. Camelbak bits & pieces – you can get packs of three valves for about $10. Oakleys are the same figure in $ as they are in £. Where abouts are you heading? As said above, factor in GST which is added onto the price at the cash desk (unless you’re in the states of Oregon, New Hampshire, Delaware, Montana or Alaska).

wolfenstein
    Free Member

JensonUsa sale delivered to your hotel, i guess..

Can you get me a reverb remote only? 😐 its almost double the price here

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘USA trip purchases’ is closed to new replies.