Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • USA, Police, are they corrupt?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Because i got pulled over for allegedly speeding in Arizona last week. The officer alleges i was doing 78mph in a 65. This was definitely not the case and i challenged him. I asked to see his evidence. He said his evidence consisted of him viewing his radar and my speed apparently showing 78mph! But because his Radar wasn’t recording he couldn’t show it to me so it my word against his! He said i could pay a fine or go to court, im tempted to call his bluff and say ill see him in court.

Innocent until PROVEN guilty?

grahamt1980

Be thankful you are not black. You stayed alive

bruneep

Undoubtedly some are, but let’s not tar them all with the same brush

MSP

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjpmT5noto[/video]

footflaps

I had the most bizarre speed ticket experience in Jordan a few years back. I was been driven my our ME Sales guy and we got stopped speeding nr the Israeli border, which was a fair cop. Only Kamel, our Sales Guy, has a massive shouting match with the cop (all in arabic) which eventually resulted in Kamel paying the fine in utter disgust and then the traffic cop throwing the money back at him in even more disgust, and riding off on his motorbike. Kamel had so offended him he wouldn’t even take the fine. I have no idea what either of them said to this day…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Be glad you were’nt carrying cash
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-29228851
    and
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks[/video]
    So…yes.Very.

seosamh77
    Free Member

In 2008, state and local law enforcement agencies employed more than 1.1 million persons on a full-time basis, including about 765,000 sworn personnel (defined as those with general arrest powers). Agencies also employed approximately 100,000 part-time employees, including 44,000 sworn officers.

All of them? Doubtful I would think! 😆

globalti
    Free Member

The UK Police have mostly got the process dialled so that if you really are speeding their case is pretty watertight. The DPP won’t prosecute if there are any flaws in the case presented by the Police. In the USA though, although I have very little first hand knowledge beyond a written warning from a very cute female Canadian traffic officer, I would expect that the balance is much more in favour of the officer’s word against yours so if you’re going to contest, expect them to go to court and the officer to perjure himself in order to save face and the court to find you guilty. Unless you have lots of money of course, in which case you’ll be dandy.

edward2000
    Free Member

Pretty much my line of thought too Globalti

br
    Free Member

But were you speeding, ie doing above 65 but below 78?

If so pay the fine, and if not, pay the fine…

I’m guessing by the fact you’ve posted this on STW that you’re not ‘local’, so no point getting tangled up in this – and faced with the possibility of your card been ‘marked’ in the USA.

antigee

hire car? out of state plate?

not corrupt, just an easy target and doesn’t agitate the locals

Pigface
    Free Member

I had a real run in with a cop in South Padre Island a long time ago, roided nutter and well known in the town for being a dick.

Last year in Wyoming was sleeping in my hire car and all of a sudden there are lights and a car driving away quickly. I decide that I can find somewhere quieter to sleep and sit up to be confronted by four cops 3 with what looks like M16’s. They asked me for my id and car details. After 10 mins comes back addresses me by my name asks where I was going and where I had been. Very professional, I told them about the car driving off quickly and ask them about the guns. His reply was he wanted more firepower than might be coming at them.

I was nearby to a store that had been broken into and they were responding to the silent alarm. Gave me back my stuff and wished me a good holiday. The Sheriff’s department of Hulett Wyoming get a thumbs up from me.

I got a very dodgy parking ticket in Ocean Park, paid for parking at a meter came back with 30 mins still to go on the display and a parking ticket for the meter next to me. From all accounts it happens to hire cars as they think holidaymakers won’t contest the fine after it has gone through the hire car company. I didnt contest it just moan about it on bike forums 😆

Swansea police in one case are defo on the take.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The police corrupt? Well I never. In the Philippines, there’s a saying that roughly states that if the police respond quickly to your house robbery, then it’s the police who are the ones robbing you. In less developed countries the near universal response to the police approaching is usually to hide under your bed and pray that you will not be dragged into the street and beaten like a rug.

globalti
    Free Member

Just about anywhere in Africa it comes down to how much you are prepared to give the officer to overlook the matter; they set up road blocks looking for reasons to take bribes.

edward2000
    Free Member

Tom, Globalti, but the USA claims to be the greatest nation on the earth with a high living standard. It is too unreasonable to expect the Police to behave accordingly so?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tom, Globalti, but the USA claims to be the greatest nation on the earth

😆

globalti
    Free Member

I’m sure that at street level American Police officers are about as corrupt as British Police officers – very few in other words, the majority doing an excellent job under difficult circumstances. What is more worrying is the institutional corruption further up the food chain and the old boy networks that protect the high and mighty, Janner for example, from the same laws they enforce upon us.

I have a couple of neighbours who are PCs; both are fair but assertive personalities and although I’ve never tested this, I have strong feeling that if caught by the Police for a misdemeanour you have a dramatically higher chance of getting off with a stern warning if you are contrite and apologetic than if you are rude and argumentative. Just a feeling, mind.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I saw a man hit by a bus! Reported it to the Police as bus driver stopped, drove off before the medics arrived.

Police didn’t care or do a thing.

They’d rather fine someone black than prevent real crime.

rene59
    Free Member

the USA claims to be the greatest nation on the earth

North Korea probably does too!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

not corrupt, just an easy target and doesn’t agitate the locals

That makes no sense whatsoever .

zippykona

The traffic wardens in Cheam are.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I had the most bizarre speed ticket experience in Jordan a few years back. I was been driven my our ME Sales guy and we got stopped speeding nr the Israeli border, which was a fair cop. Only Kamel, our Sales Guy, has a massive shouting match with the cop (all in arabic) which eventually resulted in Kamel paying the fine in utter disgust and then the traffic cop throwing the money back at him in even more disgust, and riding off on his motorbike. Kamel had so offended him he wouldn’t even take the fine. I have no idea what either of them said to this day…..

Fantastic.

TooTall
    Free Member

That makes no sense whatsoever .

Not really. Cars in the US are registered to the state and have different plates showing this.
    Police forces in the US are often county, city or town-based. Several of them are known to pretty much fund the county, town or city through the collection of fines, be that arresting and fining for low level crimes or motoring offences.

So, an out-of-state car stopped for speeding will get the fine without upsetting a local.
    Got it?

ninfan
    Free Member

So, an out-of-state car stopped for speeding will get the fine without upsetting a local. Got it?

Which it why some US townships redrew their city limits to include a nice tasty stretch of freeway, kerching!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/09/us/hampton-florida-corruption/

Boss Hogg would have been proud…

underthethumb
    Free Member

Home

They work on the premise that the officer must attend the court to present evidence either the officer shows up with the evidence and you take the fine or the officer is a no show on two occasions (either too busy or realizes that his evidence is weak) and you just pay a nominal court fee.

Though its not clear if you hold a UK or US driving licence, if a UK licence maybe email them first to see if they can help in the first place

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

So, an out-of-state car stopped for speeding will get the fine without upsetting a local.
    Got it?

But if he’s getting a ticket based on him being accused of doing a speed that he wasn’t doing then how can that not be corrupt ?

dingabell
    Free Member

Lol @ zippykona.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘USA, Police, are they corrupt?’ is closed to new replies.