Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • USA Hire Car Insurance
  • ehrob

Hi all,

Off to the US next week, going to be driving round in a relatively posh hire car (Mustang). Would like to insure it independently of the hire car company.

Any recommendations? Cheers

hot_fiat

Used Questor previously. Be prepared for the entire excess to be pre-authed against your card by some scum companies and surreptitious pre-payment of fuel to take place – the bolt ons are where the agent make their money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Read the policy about deposits a d email them for clarification, as the Italy thread never had to cover the full excess.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some for Canada, where the included cover is similar to USA. It’s not a matter of excess; the included cover was 3rd party only, and $200k limit, so if the car is stolen or written off, you’re liable for the full value. I looked at various providers, and ended up getting comparative quotes on http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk, and a short term policy through them from carhireexcess.com – I’ll find out on Friday how that goes down with the rental company.

johndoh
    Free Member

OP – are you hiring in the US or doing it beforehand in the UK? It’s much cheaper if you do it here (we used Holiday Autos UK and got Quidco cashback too).

rone

Mine was fully included. Didn’t pay any extras in the US.

fillip57
    Free Member

Hello ? dont have any recomendations ,only congratulations)

andyg1966

I’d try and do it all through the hire company and bite the bullitt on cost.

Do you really want ‘000s blocked on your credit card and then having to fight to claim it back from a 3rd party.

I’d just did 2 USA hires from Alamo via rentalcars.com and there was zero XS and zero blocking on my CC a very painless experience. The hand back was very easy too, none of the scouring the car for minor damage like you get in say Spain

rone

I’d just did 2 USA hires from Alamo via rentalcars.com and there was zero XS and zero blocking on my CC a very painless experience. The hand back was very easy too, none of the scouring the car for minor damage like you get in say Spain

That’s pretty much my experience.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do ensure your covered for out of state. The us is one of them countries I’m a bit wary of having seen a buddy get involved in a head on and the hospital’s chasing him because his insurance only covered him to a set lower amount when he took his car out of the hiring state.

ehrob

Thanks for all the replies.

The hire car has already been booked through an American company. Price seemed alright to me, though must admit my other half has been arranging the trip so I’m not totally clued up.

I will look into these alternative options for hire, and thanks also for the recommendations on standalone insurers – and the point about different states, as we’ll be in Nevada and Cali. I’ll mull it over, we’re not flying till a week Saturday.

Cheers again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘USA Hire Car Insurance’ is closed to new replies.