Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • US Ti frames
  • operator
    Free Member

Morning Singletrackers, anyone ever dealt with any of the high end US Ti frame dealers? I am thinking about Moots, Indy Fab and Seven. I was looking at Seven for a winter road bike and wanted to know what anyone thought of the build quality, ride quality etc. I did think about UK steel but was concerned about the durability of steel in our great British winters, hence the reason I am on a MTB web page (after all, you lot know a thing or two about durability and crap weather!!!!). Any views welcome.

wwaswas

UK Ti from Enigma?

Steel is fine too, tbh, you’d be amazed how many steel mountain bikes get used in the mud 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

I had a bad experience with Indy Fab, when things went wrong they were utter shits to be quite frank about it. I lost $500 in the process.

I’ve got a Soulcraft if you’re considering steel, I’ve not built it up yet but apart from looking great and the service being seamless ( a longish seam) I’d recommend them. Much cheaper than TI too.

Also, have a steel Enigma which is the actual one tested by Singletrackworld in the mag a few years back – I’m sure a search will reveal the article. What I would say though is that the guy who made my frame no longer works for them, so can’t really vouch for the new master frame builder there – but no reason to think otherwise. Another thing, they said to me when I was there (I did some work for them) was when they gave out frames to sponsored riders, the riders were happy to give back the Ti frames, but managed to hang on to the steel in some cases – good steel rides nice.

If you can afford it, Steve Potts or Eriksen for US Ti

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

many years back I had a very good relationship with Ibis in their Ti days and they were very helpful and beautiful frames. More recently I would recommend Steve Potts, his work is frankly fantastic. Black Sheep also did me a rigid fork. All of the above did great work but in terms of customer service I would say that you need patience. Most are welders first and business men second. Communication can require the patience of a saint but the end result has always been worth waiting for.

tang
    Free Member

Get along to the UK hand built bike show this weekend. Lots of US/UK/Euro builders there. How about stainless steel?

rewski
    Free Member

Why not UK Ti? Kinesis build and ride quality is excellent. Maybe deal with Mosquito in UK rather than direct with US.

qwerty
    Free Member

Speak to Ted James Designs about 953. Being Reynolds test welder carries mucho kudos.

brassneck

I rode a bit of a sportive with a guy on a Seven (he was chatting happily whilst I was bursting a lung on my limit, so I reckon he rode a bit) and it was the nicest looking bike I’ve ever seen. If I had the spare sitting around it’d be going there or Enigma.

eshershore
    Free Member

would take quality True Temper or Reynolds steel frame over titanium alloy, any day 😉

Rik
    Free Member

Seven – beautiful and sublime ride!

Gotama
    Free Member

Engin is worth a look too. Beautiful Ti bikes.

operator
    Free Member

Thanks all. I did ride UK steel some years ago, and that was Reynolds 853. Very good, but recently ridden TI and I think that is different, and easier to clean over winter. I was thinking of Seven actually, but I agree that the steel bikes look and ride great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘US Ti frames’ is closed to new replies.