Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • US ski resorts in summer
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looking at the map for our upcoming trip, do places like Boulder, Aspen, Steamboat Springs etc have walking/biking and so on in the summertime or are they just deserted holes or uber-posh places that cost too much to stay?

thehustler
    Free Member

Aspen is quite a big cycling area I believe (home of someone called lance)

ianv
    Free Member

Winter Park and Keystone are the best. Breckenridge has some but its no where near as good as those two. I think Vail has some stuff as well.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Winter Park, we are heading to boulder this summer to stay with a friend. He says there is loads and we are off to Winter Park and Crested butte for some riding. I can't wait.

iDave
    Free Member

IME Vail, Durango, Telluride, Crested Butte, Big Bear all good.

molgrips
    Free Member

Munque, see you there in three weeks? 🙂

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Boulder isn't a ski resort, so I wouldn't put it on your list of places to ride.

other ones that havent been mentioned are Sol Vista (US mountain bike champs are there this year again) which is just down the road from winter park.

Vail doesnt let you take mountain bikes on the Gondola, so avoid unless you want to pedal

If you're heading to Aspen, I would go to Snowmass instead; quieter, cheaper and the trails are beyond imagination

Crested Butte rocks. go there.

Angel Fire, New Mexico is worth a trip if you're in Southern Colorado, and the Boundary trail which runs from Durango to Angel Fire is amazing.

Hope it helps!

any more info, let me know!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Don't know where we are going yet. Hence the questions. We are limited by how far we can drive to get down there without our kid going mental. We have to drive down from Wisconsin and we want to see the SW, so we might end up having to do an overnight run to say Denver and start from there…

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

If you decide to go to steamboat (which is lovely, but never been there in the summer) I would recommend staying with these people. They're a lovely couple and the house in fantastic, right in the middle of steamboat.

where are you flying into?

Si
    Free Member

Tahoe….

molgrips
    Free Member

Chicago. We are going over for my sister in law's wedding in Wisconsin, then taking two weeks for a road trip. I'm thinking maybe we can do one big drive overnight to somewhere we can stay for a while then move on to another spot or two, with shorter drives (2-3 hours) inbetween spots every few days. Moab is an option but will also check out those other places.

And we'll be camping 🙂

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I would recommend Denver – winter park – sol vista – steamboat – Fruita – Breckenridge

Any more and you wont fit it into two weeks! If you have any specific questions or want trail info then give me an email 🙂

eistrar
    Free Member

Steamboat is great, very friendly people, great scenery etc. But don't expect too much in terms of night life…

molgrips
    Free Member

Night life? We've got a 1 year old kid, it's all we'll be able to do to get in some walking and biking 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

would definitely be worth checking out winter park, great people and great resort. if you do go, try and get to the summit, insane views!

molgrips
    Free Member

Kitz, are you in the US?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Been to ~WP 3 times in Winter and can't wait to see it in the summer! You need to get up to the top of Parsenne Bowl I'm excited about seeing the view from there already, not too keen about cycling all the way up thE Village Way but hey!

metalheart
    Free Member

Crested Butte and Winter Park. I love CB…

Beware that as they are ski resorts they dont shed all the snow until summer. 2 years ago I was in CB the end of June and 401 still had snow on the top third and the trails didn't officially open until the week after I left…

Boulder is a cool place, heaps of bikes of all sorts everywhere. As pointed out though its not a ski resort…

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Kitz, are you in the US?

Not currently, But lived in Colorado for the last 18 months and moving back permanently to Boulder in July. I've explored a hell of a load of trails in that time so have a fair idea of what's good and what's not.

iDave
    Free Member

if you're starting in chicago, i'd head for the east coast resorts in new york state

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I think Chicago is about 15 hours from Both Colorado and New York state, and the mountains are much bigger in Colorado!

molgrips
    Free Member

The east coast is all trees and stuff, we've seen plenty of that. We want deserts and rocks this time 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘US ski resorts in summer’ is closed to new replies.