Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • U.S. mountain bike holidays who run them from the U.K?
  • oldfart

Seeing the feature on Sun Valley in latest mag has got the juices flowing .Started making enquiries , am also thinking Moab,Fruita area .Contacted Saddle Skedaddle and Cyleactive but i don’t think either of them are doing anything .So is it all D.I.Y. or does anyone know any other companies (reputable!) here in the U.K ?

5AM
    Free Member

I was going to post the very same question, so I’ll now sit back and break out the cookies 🙂

Blackhound

I went with S/S back in ’98 but as you say not doing that trip now (It was good!). Also Rocky Mountain in ’04 but they also stopped a few years ago.

I can’t think of any UK companies currently but Western Spirit mentioned in article have a good rep. Also Kaibab who are Moab based – I have done shuttles with them.

DIY is really easy, done it a couple of times. Fly into Denver or Salt Lake City, pick up a car and go where you want. All the places have plenty of route guides, you can do shuttles in Moab to get out of town and camp sites or accommodation to suit all pockets.

I have done them on my own and met others out there (including a STW’er). People are really friendly and of course no language issues. I should add though that I am happy on my own, would not suit everybody.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheRack

I don’t think there’s anybody about that does organised trips to the States and if there is I expect it’ll be significantly more expensive then DIYing it.

DIY takes a bit of time but is pretty simple. I’ve recently DIYed the following trips:

Moab / Fruita – flew into Denver
    Arizona (Phoenix / Sadona / Flagstaff) – flew into Phoenix
    Breckenridge / Crested Butte / Fruita / Moab / Aspen – flew into Denver

Just about to do Southern California (8 days and counting) – San Diego / Palm Springs / Idllywild / Orange County – flying into San Diego.

Next year is looking like Idaho in September. Fly into Salt Lake City, few days there then up to Sun Valley. Was thinking about prior to the ST article.

If you want any details on the previous trips, where we stayed, what we rode, driving distances / times, costs etc. let me know.

Cheers.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Try Rim Tours or Cog Wild for US companies. Both pretty solid.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I would echo DIY – all of the local bike shops (at least in Breckenridge, Fruita and Moab) will have maps and been happy to point out the best routes. Riding in that area is much more specific trails so less requirement to spend ages studying a map and learning that half the trails are rubbish.

Kestral run in Fruita is still one of my favorite experiences on a bike

sweaman2
    Free Member

Should add – I think Sacred rides (not a UK based company) do a trip in the American SW. I did some stuff with them in Fernie; the guides were excellent but the accommadation (at that time which was a few years ago) left a little to be desired (it was just tired)

d45yth
    Free Member

KE Adventure from Keswick do a few American trips…they do the Moab/Fruita thing and the Rockies/Crested Butte.

keadventure.com

oldfart

The Rack would appreciate any info you can pass on please .Looking at KE Adventure 2 weeks in Fruita etc inc flights and accomodation and guiding is around £2300 .Do you reckon you can D.I.Y. it for a lot less ? E Mail me please at rolandjulie2001@yahoo.co.uk , couldn’t see your E Mail addy in your profile .

TheRack

oldfart – email sent. Any questions let me know.

You’l do it for a lot less than £2300 (how much less dependent on numbers and time of year / flight costs). Self-guiding is easy too. The Falcon MTB Guides are pretty good and the local bike shops are always happy to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Mark

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.mtbikeoregon.com/

This is a brilliant event. I rode the Alpine Trail with a couple of guides in 08. More singletrack than you can believe.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9hOzCdL6k&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I haven’t done the areas they are talking about above – but have done two trips (last two years) to California and can provide you with plenty of information for that area? Email me if you decide to go that far West. (Email in profile).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘U.S. mountain bike holidays who run them from the U.K?’ is closed to new replies.