Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • US ESTA – social media questions
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Anyone done the US online ESTA recently since they’ve added questions asking for social media accounts?

If so, did you fill them in, and if not and you’ve been to US, any issues there is you haven’t?

Not overly fussed on the content of my accounts though they might not appreciate the Trump jokes 😀 . It’s more a matter of principle.

If you’ve done an ESTA recently or not, would you give them the information?

Out of interest, this came in before Trump became president.

p.s. Trump’s administration is currently debating forcing everyone to give this information along with web site history, phone contacts etc. Though highly impractical.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Set to private?
    Giving logins to others is against terms and conditions. Came up with us colleges wanting access to student applicants profiles

deadkenny
    Free Member

I would assume they have a back door in though, despite what FB and others tell us.

My greater concern isn’t the content (it’s just stuff about bikes anyway) but the list of contacts. I haven’t asked their permission to share their details (though with FB people are sharing their friends list unknowingly to third parties anyway, plus FB itself).

Also, who knows, if there’s a link between someone I know who knows someone who happens to live in one of the “evil” states on the list etc. Guilt by association and then being dragged off for interview.

Hopefully one of the questions isn’t “what is your STW username?” though. The stuff on here would get you kicked out permanently, if not locked up. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadkenny
    Free Member

The current situation…

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/26/us-customs-social-media-foreign-travelers

The plan for the future may include handing over passwords also. Initially only those 7 countries on Trump’s hit list, but may be expanded to everyone.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/02/08/u-s-government-may-soon-demand-visitors-reveal-social-media-passwords/

Pierre

It’s concerning because I think Trump is a ridiculous idiot, but I’d still like to visit the US because parts of it are amazing.

The idea that I’d be denied a visa only because I’ve committed thoughtcrime is scary.

allfankledup

Time to get my nokia 6310 back out of the cupboard

BillOddie

I’d be tempted to fill it in with oh I don’t know… @OtterPicsDaily

In fact if the “hand over your password” comes into effect it might be worth having an extra social media account.

That and a “clean” phone…

andytherocketeer

Time for an alt twitter/farcebook account, given what I’ve said about the so-called president.
    No intention whatsoever of going there until they find another president, but I would quite like to visit some of the national parks there.

devash
    Free Member

Being asked for my social media passwords in order to gain a visa would put me off going to the US, regardless of what content I was sharing.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

That and a “clean” phone…

No such thing Dan… 😉

jam-bo

people I used to know who worked for BAe weren’t allowed to take any company electronic devices to the US. they were issued with temporary phones and laptops by their US counterparts when then got there.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

What if you “Don’t do Facebook?”. It’s the new vegan

mikewsmith
    Free Member

people I used to know who worked for BAe weren’t allowed to take any company electronic devices to the US.

Yep you give the US government permission to inspect your electronic devices as a condition of entry and in that they can legally clone them for later analysis (been in effect for years)

whitestone
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve a Twitter account that is more or less moribund. I’ve a LinkedIn account that is similarly active. Not had an account or even visited any other social media site. I suppose I’ll just enter N/A 😉

Of course the only reason you are likely to have your devices checked is if there’s some existing intelligence potentially linking you with “undesirables”. Accessing and cloning every electronic device heading into the USA is simply not feasible (ATM) so you need some form of filtering.

tomd
    Free Member

I got an ESTA last month and successful gained entry. I didn’t give any social media details as it’s none of their f-ing business.

Edit: I’m not very beardy or muslamic looking which may have counted in my favour in the current climate

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m not very beardy

Hmm, that’s me **** then!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Just renewed mine – lots more questions than a couple of years back. I ignored the social media bit.

Got the ESTA fine.

If you delete all your social media apps off your phone and say ‘I don’t use social media’ how could they enforce any mandatory stuff?

jam-bo

they won’t let you in.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Applied last month. Thought the social media questions were a bit off (and were optional), so ignored them. Got accepted anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you delete all your social media apps off your phone and say ‘I don’t use social media’ how could they enforce any mandatory stuff?

Pretty sure they could just google your name to see if you’re lying? I’d be surprised if they don’t already have social media profiles indexed to passports.

Like that kid that tweeted “gonna destroy L.A.” or somesuch, meaning “I’m going to have a few vodka and soda’s like the weekend millionaire I am and possibly steal a traffic cone on the way home”. And got refused entry.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘US ESTA – social media questions’ is closed to new replies.