Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • US Ebay purchase
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Just a quickie.
    Are there any hidden charges I need to know about?
    There’s a BIN and approx postage price. And I assume Paypal automatically exchanges currency.
    Ta.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain that there will be a customs charge but I can’t wait remember if it’s only on goods over a certain amount value.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Import Duty, VAT & Handling Charges.

trebord
    Free Member

You may be lucky with Import Duty.. I’ve been stung before (on a frame) but got away with smaller purchases.
    Not certain of the ins-and-outs, but prob is to do with value.
    If you can get the seller to mark packaging as a ‘gift’, I think you avoid the duty.

househusband

I haven’t got away with anything imported from the US for years, maybe I’ve been unlucky. The import VAT allowance is down to £15 and Customs Duty £135 – and Mount Pleasance makes an admin fee of £8.50 IIRC!

legend
    Free Member

Limit is £16 before they’ll hit you with tax iirc. Marking as a gift makes no difference, marking down the price can be a naughty way of doing it but kiss goodbye to insurance cover

julianwilson
    Free Member

Also iirc the £16 allowance includes whatever you paid for postage, ie the goods plus p&p mustn’t be more than £16. I believe the allowance is/used to be slighly higher for ‘gifts’ but nevertheless there is always still a rather small maximum value even if it is genuinely little Jimmy’s 8th birthday present all wrapped up in wrapping paper.

USPS international postage has apparently also seen a 20% or so increase this year and a lot of ebay etc sellers are cross at this as its tipped the balance of making smaller orders from them worth the money/time or not.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Limit is £16 before they’ll hit you with tax iirc. Marking as a gift makes no difference

Wrong on both counts.

The information is easy enough to find on http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/
    As househusband stated, the allowance (before vat is due) is £15
    For gifts it’s £40

footflaps

If it’s a personal seller, the odds are they won’t put the full value and you’ll get away without being stung for duty. I’ve bought loads of things from the US, eg wheels and frames, and only paid VAT on a small percentage of them. Most sellers just put Gift $20 on the paperwork.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘US Ebay purchase’ is closed to new replies.