Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • urinating contest, what's under the bonnet of your pc?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Anybody else using Geekbench to benchmark where they’re at?

6920 for my new 13″ MacBook Pro
    5843 for my Hackintosh

Not incredible, but certainly not bad

randomjeremy
    Free Member

a pissing contest about computers just proves that none of the contestants have penises

Drac

Mines well outdated now but thinking about going for an upgrade late this year.

E3500 Wolfdale with 4GB after the other 4GB died and GT460, off the top my head though and it runs BF3 ok but I’ve stopped playing it and switched to Star Wars The Old Republic for now.

Have to laugh at he people saying how sad it is posting form their computers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldnpastit

a pissing contest about computers just proves that none of the contestants have penises

I’ll just check….

Nope, you’re wrong.

Northwind

randomjeremy – Member

TBH it’s more likely that every single one has a penis tbh

MrSmith
    Free Member

I.T. is not cool.
    when people say “look at this, isn’t it cool”. it isn’t, it’s just a computer.

oldnpastit

So there you go. Seventy years of people building modern computers and they could have saved themselves the trouble. MrS says they’re not cool, they’re “just a computer”.

Or maybe it’s national ignorance week again?

mboy
    Free Member

I.T. is not cool.

And to the general public, neither are mountain bikes! 😕

In fact, is anything universally cool? As well as Mountain Bikes and computers, I love cars, motorbikes, rugby, cricket, House Music, road bikes and have even been known to play a round or two of Golf! Don’t expect anybody else to enjoy them all or think they’re cool though if tht helps… 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Win 7 64 Home Premium SP1.
    i5 750 @2.67GHz (not over clock … yet)
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 5450 cheapo shite but will do for now.
    Corsair H50 water cool … yes I can.
    ASUS P7P55-M mobo.
    PSU … cheapo 500 watt stuff.

My system has been very unstable since I built it, massive BSOD if system is not used for more than 12 hr. Tried many things so suspecedt it could be the Power Option problem. Now I just leave it to max power option with no sleep or hibernation. Today is the first time I have a gap of 12 hrs without booting up and it booted up nicely without giving me BSOD so let see …

Graphic card is a bit shite … oh well … still working for now.

🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

computers are great when they work properly but still not cool.
    people desire cool things, do people really lust after computers?

Doug
    Free Member

Built my current PC mainly for BF3.

i5 2400
    4Gb Ram
    Radeon 6870
    h67 Mobo

A balanced mid range setup.

BF3 id is MTBDoug

zokes
    Free Member

I should be astounded by the number of morons coming onto a thread on which they clearly have no interest, taking the time to read it, taking more time to post a derogatory comment, then yet more time to reply and contest their futile argument. I say should because of course this is STW, so even if someone has no interest in a thread, they still feel the need to comment.

Anyway:

Work: some horrible Dell box with a C2D and 4gb RAM on XP3 (soon to be W7). This will allegedly last me the next 3.5 years 😯

Home: First-gen Core2 Quad O/C to 3.2GHz and 8 GB RAM on Vista64.

Lappy: MacBook Air, i7, 4GB, 256GB SSD – this runs LR3 in W7 inside Parallels (only 1 GB RAM given to W7) faster than my desktop does natively!

_tom_
    Free Member

Bit outdated now but it still runs well. Q6600 processor (still needs overclocking), 4gb ram, 8800GT 512MB graphics card. Mainly Windows 7 but occasionally Snow Leopard if I’m doing video work.

Was considering a SSD for the main drive but probably not worth the money for me.

bigrich

my does naked ladies.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Not looked through the thread but…

At work I have two of these under my desk.

Dell Precision 7400 with Dual Quad core Xeon CPU’s @ 2.26Ghz
    64GB of RAM
    NVIDA Quadron FX5000 graphics card
    1 TB SATA hard-drive
    Running windows 7 64-bit.

toys19 – I think you might work in the same industry (and possibly even the same company) as me… specs look very simmilar.

MrNutt
    Free Member

WinNT

Milkie
    Free Member

My machine is mainly for video editing and viewing STW..

i7 2600K
    8gb RAM
    Fatal1ty mobo
    1Gb Cuda Graphics Card
    1x Raptor Drive
    3x 2tb Sata Drives
    2x 1600×1200 monitors & 32″ for video output
    Asus Essence STX audio card
    A case that sounds like a hurricane when the fans are on max, they are never on max.
    Shuttle Premiere Pro keyboard
    Griffin Powermate

I can easily run 4 720p@60fps files layered with FX in realtime, which is exactly what I wanted when I built it. I had a cheap mobo and footage would stutter, replaced with Fatal1ty and now its smooooth.

CountZero

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
    1066MHz frontside bus
    4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB
    1.1Tb of onboard storage.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mac clever stuff.

New Macbook has clever-faster stuff.

😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

Mac Pro:
    8-core 2.66 GHz Intel Xeon 3500 processor
    13GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Doug
    Free Member

120Gb SSD drive ordered. Fed up with joining BF3 after the round has started. 🙁

z1ppy

mudshark – Member
    I’m more interested in the older machines still proving good service. I have a P4 3.2Ghz 1gb running Ubuntu which is fine for office applications.

Snap to the machine spec, though happily running Win7 on mine. Not doing anything but browsing, office, iTunes on it though.
    Had thought I’d need to replces it as the primary ATA controller is seemingly dying (not finding the disc & booting), so now running on the 2nd….. & it just keeps going.
    Very impressed with Win 7’s performance on such an ‘old’ spec, got an older P4 I may load it on just how low you can go

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlS3w1GGE8g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

rs
    Free Member

whats under the bonnet, a CD rom drive by the looks of it…

samuri
    Free Member

I have a P4 3.2Ghz 1gb running Ubuntu which is fine for office applications.

I used to have one like that, but then I found a T60 with a broken screen on ebay and bought that for a few quid. It’s used headless so that’s no problem for me.

As far as computing power goes, I have about 500 servers, a thousand laptops and about 4000 desktops. ROAR!

almightydutch
    Free Member

While I’ll happily admit it goes beyond sad, it keep me happy and is yet another one of those expensive past times I seem so keen to enjoy:

Needa a bit of a tidy up in there and some fancy cables to make it look neater but it performs as it should do. Temps never above 45 degrees and its silent apart from when I turn up the rad fans slightly when gaming/stressing.

retro83
    Free Member

On my XBMC machine I’ve got an AMD X3e CPU and an AMD 4550 GPU. Cheap, totally silent and only 40w at idle. Need to find a horizontal case which looks like an Antec Fusion but has 4 3.5 bays to improve its spouse acceptance factor 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of slightly dated OC’d Core 2 Duos. Have just built this for a customer though. Ws 24h prime stable @ 5.2ghz but have backed it of for day to day reliability.

molgrips
    Free Member

My work laptop is an i7 with 8Gb, 1080p screen and Nvidia Quadro 1000M. Battery lasts 6 hours too. Is that good? 🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

[furrows his brow in a desperate attempt to understand the situation]

what language is this thread in – it seems to be a mixture of hexadecimal and some kind of mongolian geek speak.

I wish I could be arsed to understand whats going on.

[/furrows his brow in a desperate attempt to understand the situation]

CaptJon
    Free Member

almightydutch – Member
    While I’ll happily admit it goes beyond sad, it keep me happy and is yet another one of those expensive past times I seem so keen to enjoy:

Needa a bit of a tidy up in there and some fancy cables to make it look neater but it performs as it should do. Temps never above 45 degrees and its silent apart from when I turn up the rad fans slightly when gaming/stressing.

I shared a flat in my student days with a lad who made his own water cooling system. He’d spend hours polishing various bits of metal to them completely flat. He also put luminous die in the water so it lit up at night. I was very impressed it actually worked and didn’t leak.

Edric64
    Free Member

Isnt a pc just a tool ? I dont even know what make mine is .

rkk01
    Free Member

Went on the old desktop earlier this week – first time since the summer 😥

Used to keep up fairly well with PC stuff – homebuilt PC, some of which might even date back 10 yrs or so.

However, performance has always been pretty good – kept it up to “best of outgoing generation” type standard. Currently using an Abit ix38 quad GT m/b, 4gb Corsair DDR2 memory. Cant remember what cpu – Q7700 rings a bell? Not too sure what gfx card either 😳

But lost the time to tinker and keep up to date. Most computing now done on a newish media type laptop, that significantly underperforms compared to the desktop.

Most gaming now done on the PS3 – which is what has really killed off the upgrade cycles on the PC

almightydutch
    Free Member

Oooh CaptJohn, thats takes me back a bit. I’ve prob been watercooling my PC’s for a good 10 years. Done the self made blocks in a mates shed, also using Peltiers to get subzero cooling. Ooh them days!!!

Now its pretty easy for anyone to get into as long as you buy the right components. Admittedly it does look a whole load better than our early attempts but I dont get anywhere near the satisfaction of building a new rig even if performance is leap and bounds ahead fo the early days.

greeble
    Free Member

intel i7 overclocked to 3.8 ghz
    12gb of ram
    two 460gtx cards in sli
    2 2tb harddrives
    runing windows 7 ultimate

almightydutch
    Free Member

Greeble… thats hardly an overclock. Dont they ‘Turbo’ up to 3.8 anyway? Sorry

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘urinating contest, what's under the bonnet of your pc?’ is closed to new replies.