Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Urgent yay or nay needed!
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Sitting in Starbucks and was about to head to the bank, get some cash and buy this:

2004 BWW 530i – 100k, £4,100

Just got off the phone to Mrs Peterfile (who works at BMW) and the workshop foreman told her that a 2004 with 100k might be a hefty one for maintenance bills. Checked the history and it looks like most major work was done at independents.

I’ve got 30mins to decide whether or not to go for it (2 other people viewing the car after me)

That mechanic (although he’s never seen the car) has just given me cold feet, since i suspect he knows what he’s on about!

So, STW always helps me make my mind up….

Would you go for it?

(NB: i know nothing about cars, other than i like the sound of a 3 litre straight six BMW engine 🙂 )

wrecker
    Free Member

Nay.

I’ve got 30mins to decide whether or not to go for it (2 other people viewing the car after me)

probably a lie.

the workshop foreman told her that a 2004 with 100k might be a hefty one for maintenance bills.

Probably not a lie.

binners

Heated wing mirrors? If not, I wouldn’t bother

peterfile
    Free Member

True.

It’s either this or a 2004 Audi A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport estate, with 90K, but costs £5600.

Heart wants a 530i, head says Quattro estate.

Still may even consider a Merc CLK if I have time to view tomorrow morning

matttromans
    Free Member

Nay, purely because from your previous posts it sounds like you wanted a wagon of some sort. Wait until a tourer comes up.

peterfile
    Free Member

Nay, purely because from your previous posts it sounds like you wanted a wagon of some sort. Wait until a tourer comes up.

I know 🙁

Just seemed like such a good deal. I need to curb my excitement and wait for something my head agrees with

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mechanics just covering arse

How ever if it was my money and my first car id buy older and cheaper for a couple of years – you will bash it into something

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sitting in Starbucks

Nay.

binners – Member
    Heated wing mirrors? If not, I wouldn’t bother

^^This^^

ski
    Free Member

Wait for a tourer version?

wrecker
    Free Member

How ever if it was my money and my first car id buy older and cheaper for a couple of years – you will bash it into something

+1. Something cheaper to insure and run, too.
    Maybe a Passat estate?
    Maintenance on a BMW, Merc or Audi will be pricey and at the age and milage you’re looking at; highly likely.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

My inclination would be to say no especially as you have only just passed your test. Insurance may be a tad high.

In your case I would go for something that is cheaper on the insurance to allow you to gain the experience of driving on your own as well as build up your no claims without having to pay crippling insurance bills.

jam-bo

i’d buy the audi.

and an orange 5

Cougar

Get an insurance quote before making any decisions.

Also, 530i as a first car? You’re going to die. (-:

turin
    Free Member

Nay,

but only because Mrs PF works at/for a main dealer, can she get something that has been well looked after/serviced throughout its life from them?

/tuppenceworth

toys19
    Free Member

you are being pressured by someone who knows how to sell. Back off, have a good think, see if it’s still for sale tomorrow, if so make a wicked low cash offer..

peterfile
    Free Member

The insurance is high on everything I’ve looked at, not a huge difference between wee cars and 3litre execs. It’s £1,380 on the 330i, or £1,100 on an x trail, decent engined Golfs are coming in at about £800

I wasn’t a massive fan of Audi, but boy are they nice to sit in. Wasn’t expecting them to be nicer than BMW and almost as plush as some lower mercs.

Estate seems the sensible option.

Quattro with winter tyres would be awesome for the weekly Glencoe jaunts.

Merc or BMW estate would also be good, but will defo need winter tyres.

Why is it sooooo hard to just find a car and buy it.

Please may I have the moon on a stick?

mcboo
    Free Member

Ist car? You’re insurance could be 2k no? Sure you shouldnt do what we all did and get a Golf?

matttromans
    Free Member

So go on then, what have you been quoted for the insurance on either the Bimmer or the Audi?
    Having seen the sort of capers you and your missus get up to (oo-er!), I would have thought the Audi is by far and away the best option out of the above cars. However, I do understand the attraction of a 3l straight 6!Have you thought of the Subraru Foresters? 2l turbo boxer engine, good 4×4, estate, solid and reliable?

ThePinkster

530i as a first car? Not only will die horribly in a ball of flames but you’ll also be crippled (financially).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Please may I have the moon on a stick?

V70AWD with a big turbocharged engine. 😉

binners

Hang on a minute? Just passed your test? First car?…..

Hey… I don’t make the rules

peterfile
    Free Member

£1,380 on the 530i
    £1,100 on A4 2.5 TDI Quattro
    £1,490 on 530d
    £1,170 on CLK270 CDI

All with my mum and her partner as named drivers on the policy (reduced each quote by around 30%).

Admiral.

matttromans
    Free Member

Wow, they’re not as frightening as I thought they’d be. All fully comp I assume?
    So which is winning, head or heart?!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Just passed your test, 3 litre car, now I’m sure that you think you’re a great driver since you passed in 10 lessons but I can see your first car getting wrapped round a tree.

Really, you done much driving on snow then?

binners

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Any of the cars you mentioned will have hefty repair bills at some point. If it’s got a good history go for it…

binners

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Look in the mirror and slap yourself around the face a few times.

Are you mad ^ those cars as first cars, seriously powerful, stupidly expensive to maintain, tax and insure.

One decent tyre for that BMW will set you back around £250+ are you ready for that kind of expense?

I’ve driven BMWs for a few years now, believe me when I say they are not cheap to maintain.

EDIT: I see from the post below that you are in your 30’s I thought you were under 20, still my points still stand.

sobriety
    Free Member

You’ve got through 14 odd years of being eligible to drive a car without one, what’s the rush, wait for an estate you like to come up.

binners

binners

Are you familiar with the term ‘money-pit’?

Gary_M
    Free Member

As a new driver why do you fel the ned to drive a 3 litre ‘exec’ style car? I can understand why you want comfort and all the toys but 3 litres, thats a lot of power for a new driver. If you’re going to be doing a lot of miles then a car thats expensive to maintain probably isn’t the best idea.

A set of winter tyres – £800-£1k. On a car that cost £4k??

standard tyres at least £200 each.

Step back and have a think.

DrP

I’m not ‘anti car’* at all, but it’s quite “refreshing” to be satisfied with a cheap, reliable, no frills automobile….

*I enjoy looking at and driving posh/powerful cars, but in reality all they do is get you to work faster….

The beemer is very nice, but as others have said, with ‘posh’ cars comes an ‘in line’ repair bill.

DrP

Gunz
    Free Member

I passed my test late (34) and just put up with a rubbish Fiat Brava for the first two years as there was absolutely no way I was giving those thieving insurance companies a penny more than I had to.
    As it was I was quite sad to see the old girl go.
    Be patient and you can buy an expensive money pit in a couple of years without getting crucified for insurance/petrol or launching it into a hedge.

peterfile
    Free Member

Just passed your test, 3 litre car, now I’m sure that you think you’re a great driver since you passed in 10 lessons but I can see your first car getting wrapped round a tree.

Really, you done much driving on snow then?

Oh do **** off you pompous, miserable, twerp.

I’m sure you have no idea what i’m thinking. I’m actually thinking that i’ve reached test standard, not that i’m a great driver. I can see you remaining a miserable know-it-all.

Completely unjustified assumptions are a bit unfair wouldn’t you say?

It’s the driver who wraps a car around a tree, not the car. Am I immune from crashing if I buy a Polo?

Not done much driving on snow, no. But then again, not that many people who have been driving in the 30 years i’ve been up and down to the Highlands have a huge amount of experience on snow either – the A82 doesn’t tend to stay snow covered for long, and if it is, you either don’t travel or it’s been closed off anyway.

However, unless I’m mistaken, AWD with winter tyres will perform better than FWD or RWD with winter tyres in cold weather (i.e. winter)?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh do **** off you pompous, miserable, twerp.

Oh get you. I think by that response you’ve just met many assumptions that people have.

Not done much driving on snow, no.

So you’re saying you have done some driving on snow then?

You’re doing what every 17 year old boy who’s just passed their test would love to do, buy a powerful car that you hope will impress people, but thankfully they have their parents to give them a slap and tell them not to be so bloody stupid.

Inexperience driver+powerful car + recipe for disaster.

Gary_M
    Free Member

double post

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I think you shouldn’t buy it. Also ANY car goes fast enough to kill yourself. You just have to remember to be light on the throttle in a car like that. I find in my diesel octavia a slight blip of the throttle sees it speeding and its not really that powerful an engine. Atleast in an underpowered car it takes a good few seconds to be speeding when in the correct gear.

I would be hesitant of buying a BMW after the recent stories i’ve heard regarding their reliability. I would go for a Audi estate. Big boot, very comfy aswell and built upon the golf platforms generally so pretty reliable. You can usually use vw/skoda parts for cheaper stuff 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

You can make assumptions all you like Gary, but that’s all they are, assumptions that you’ve arrived at by looking at a few words on a bicycle chat forum.

You have no idea of my motivations for wanting the cars that I do. I turned down a nice new company car so that I could buy something old. Surely if I was out to impress I would have taken the company car?

I’ve made it to 31 without feeling the need to even drive a car, why would I suddenly feel the need to impress people with one now?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Is there any reason you haven’t considered the skoda superb. Im biased but skodas are very nice…:D Slightly more sensible servicing/insurance costs and basically the same cars if a tad less refined.

With any car my opinion is FSH is king, end of story.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Urgent yay or nay needed!’ is closed to new replies.