Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • >>Urgent TUBELESS HELP REQUIRED please!!
  • rascal
    Free Member

In process of putting Spesh Butcher on front and Purgatory on back on WTB STi19 tubeless ready rims.
    Tapes in place, valves in, Butcher half on front, Stans in, pumped up and stayed up fine (so far).
    Same process with Purg on back – can I get it to go up? Can I ****! Lots of swearing going on.
    What’s wrong? Slacker tyre? Only got duct tape – gonna cut some strips and apply to get a tighter seal – will this work? Front was easy-peasy – this is a f’king PITA and making me very annoyed 👿 – helpful solutions (no pun intended) ASAP please – cheers

*hardly ‘urgent’ but you know what I mean 😉

gavstorie
    Free Member

have you seated the bead as much as you can before you started pumping it up?

sofabear
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to build the bead up a bit more. I prefer good quality insulation tape to gaffa tape, I find it’s easier to get a tighter fit without going too far the other way (IYSWIM).

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve done the same as the front…

rascal
    Free Member

If I use insulation tape, how many times do I need to go round and how close do I get to the sidewall of the rim?…cheers

jekkyl

try and make the tyre so it goes round where the air comes in, like pull it out so the air is hitting the tyre and not hitting the bead, sort of bump it about as you’re pumping.
    or
    inflate with a tube and leave it for a few hours then try again.
    just keep trying and try not to get so angry with it 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Standard track pump? Mine was a pain in the arse, but fine with a flash charger. Took just one layer of gorilla tape

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks all – will pack it out with insulting tape – deliberate dropping of ‘a’ – not even sure why – prob cos this has pissed me off 😉
    Knackers crossed 🙂

Del

tried taking the core out to inflate it first time? get the thing good and hard ( snigger ), then whip the pump off, thumb over, then stuff the core back in.

scaredypants

core out, fairy liquid, pump like ****. Stop, (don’t bother with thumb over if tyre has “popped” on) valve in, pump not like ****. Ride

if that fails, then try the tape

I think those rims have a proper UST “lip” don’t they? You might have fun getting a tyre off if you build them up with tape

rascal
    Free Member

Got tyre off – cleaned rim – applied tape.
    Tyre back on and inflated dry – up straight away.
    Deflated and popped fluid in and reinflated – sloshed around etc.
    Currently doing its 10 mins rest on either side 🙂
    It’s up – just hope it stays up!

Cheers all

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I put a bit of stans on the rim when I out them on, helps them slide into position

sv

Some washing up liquid on the bead/rim interface helps them seal/seat easier.

sofabear
    Free Member

rascal – Member

Got tyre off – cleaned rim – applied tape.
    Tyre back on and inflated dry – up straight away.
    Deflated and popped fluid in and reinflated – sloshed around etc.
    Currently doing its 10 mins rest on either side
    It’s up – just hope it stays up!

Cheers all

Good news. I find getting the insulating tape the critical part. Too little and the bead won’t seal, too much and you can’t get the tyre on (less of an issue with insulating tape compared to gaffa tape).

My tyres do lose a bit of air over the course of a couple of weeks but nothing that 2 minutes with a track pump doesn’t sort.

rascal
    Free Member

Both still up!
    I watched a few Youtube vids – some put soapy water on the tyre wall – one made a thick lather using washing up liquid and applied just the suds with a paint brush (minimal water) so did that.
    Quite unnerving when you the seal ‘pop’ against the rim wall but satisfying too – as you may have gathered I’m a TV (tubeless virgin).

rascal
    Free Member

Question about Spesh tyres specifically – probably not going to max exposure on this thread though but here goes. As mentioned I bought Butcher Grid for front and Purg Grid for back.
    There is a problem with the front that became more evident when inflated.
    When it arrived it was folded – in the crease of the fold a blemish/sunken spot that was noticeable but I thought that when inflated it would disappear. Basically there’s a bulge on the tread and part of the sidewall which is much more noticeable when inflated and on the bike. Called the shop and they want me to bring the wheel in so they can see the problem – never had this on any tyres before – folding or not.
    No probs with the Purg. If they deem it a faulty tyre (it def is) they’ll change it. Problem is they dont have another Butcher Grid and won’t have before I go the the Lakes over NY for a ride.
    They DO have another Purg but Control not Grid….it’s not the same as the Butcher Grid but having never tried the BG will the Purg Control be a good replacement or shall I hold out for the BG? I went for this combo based on all the positive reviews/feedback on here.
    I could wait to get that and actually try the WTB Wolverine tubeless instead of with a tube (as it came with my Cannondale Trigger). Feels like if I go for the Purg Control it’s a compromise and not really what I want. Basically do the Purgatorys work as a good pair – one Grid and one Control?

sv

Less grip than a butcher, I’d hold out for the right tyre and use the temp WTB.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Only just seen this post. My Spesh has Butcher/Purg combo, but with the Control casing.

I find them too soft/wallowy. I wanted to change them for the Grid versions, but I may end up getting different tyres anyway.

rascal
    Free Member

Took the tyre back – it had actually delaminated – something they’d never seen before – new Butcher Grid ordered. Have put the original Wolverine back on front but tubeless for Lakes trip.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Good job you took it back then!

Glad to hear it’s being sorted.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘>>Urgent TUBELESS HELP REQUIRED please!!’ is closed to new replies.