Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Urgent PSA – for those in the real world
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

some forum members are more directly affected than others, some have friends there, some have work colleagues, some are part Japanese, some have family there. Not all STW members are the same.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well hopefully they are intelligent enough to see aracer’s point and not have a titty-lip about it.

CM – are you affected?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CM – are you affected?

Some would say

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh and do i see aracers point? well let me have a look

There’s every need to take the piss

but the doom-mongering is a little tiring

Oh I see, the poor fella is tired because people are talking and I see that he thinks it is necessary to take the piss.

I see those points.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The sense of doom is particularly tiring for the doomed. Have a heart.

Cougar

You’re confusing “taking the piss out of the doomed” with “taking the piss out of the media scaremongering.” Aracer is, I believe, doing the latter.

Cougar

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=fqcn_TPu4qQ[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cougar gets it!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You’re confusing “taking the piss out of the doomed” with “taking the piss out of the media scaremongering.”

No I’m not confusing or conflating them, to take the piss out of the ‘doommongers’ is to invalidate or trivialise the issues which they raise. These issues are part of the the overall threat to the ‘doomed’. You are lucky not to be amongst that number, don’t presume to know what proportion of their suffering is related to the dangers at the power station. Now, if you happen to know how people there feel about the issue and they have told you that the power station is trivial then fine. Still there is little need to be insensitive about it. You should also probably talk to more people who are affected by it. You clearly know little about disaster survival. But, try this, you suffer the biggest earthquake in however long, this is followed by a tsunami which destroys everything you own. Do yu really think you would have an optimistic view about the outcome at the nuclear power station?

Clearly what is missing out there, is a big sign saying, “Don’t worry, I’m sure it will be fine”

and I think neither Cougar, you nor the OP get it.

and in this context linking a cartoon with the phrase “Let’s rain doom on the filthy heads of our enemies” is just poor taste.

twentyniners
    Free Member

You’ve completely lost me there Charlie – in what way do you think I don’t get it?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You’ve completely lost me there Charlie – in what way do you think I don’t get it?

Because of statements like this

You’ve completely lost me there Charlie

Seems self-evident

twentyniners
    Free Member

Very good. Maybe a couple of quotation marks missing. And the answer is?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

🙂 Got you mixed up with aracer!! I meant the ‘firestarter’ rather than thread starter

Sorry old chap!

twentyniners
    Free Member

No probs, I really was baffled…. even by STW standards 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey, I need to start stocking up food …

😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

But, try this, you suffer the biggest earthquake in however long, this is followed by a tsunami which destroys everything you own. Do yu really think you would have an optimistic view about the outcome at the nuclear power station any awareness of, or care for, what some blokes on an unrelated internet forum on the other side of the world in a different language say?

Clearly what is missing out there, is a big sign saying, “Don’t worry, I’m sure it will be fine take offence at everything you can, whether it affects you or not

FTFY

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oooh! that was painfully contrived.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There really ought to be a ban on FTFY …….it might have been vaguely funny once, many years ago – not sure, can’t quite remember, but some people really need to occasionally think of another putdown 💡

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

or at least a limit on the number of words you can change

Hicksy
    Free Member

So, can I not be offended by something that doesn’t affect me then? Not that I was.

You really don’t come across as a nice person cynic-al.

yunki
    Free Member

eurgh.. just done a little bit of sick in my mouth..

agreeing with cynic-al again..

I will probably have nightmares..

trailmonkey

There really ought to be a ban on FTFY

Oh I don’t know. If you really want to get up someone’s nose at the risk of appearing like a smarmy arsewipe, there really is no substitute.

aracer
    Free Member

The thing is, if trivialising the media doommongering is an issue for those most directly affected, how much more of an issue is the media doommongering itself? Correct me if I’m wrong, but none of the people getting all worked up with worry over it on here have actually experienced a huge earthquake followed by a huge tsunami.

aracer
    Free Member

If you really want to get up someone’s nose at the risk of appearing like a smarmy arsewipe, there really is no substitute

Though LMGTFY comes quite close 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The thing is, if trivialising the media doommongering is an issue for those most directly affected, how much more of an issue is the media doommongering itself?

Well, it’s not just those directly affected others are indirectly affected. Calling it doommongering is trivialising it. These things matter and are a concern to them.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but none of the people getting all worked up with worry over it on here have actually experienced a huge earthquake followed by a huge tsunami.

Well, I can’t speak for those getting worked up, but i don’t think you actually need to experience those things to have some connection to the people who have and to be scared and worried for them.

aracer
    Free Member

Calling it doommongering is trivialising it

Well what do you suggest I should call a manual digging implement?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, I suggest you hope to God or providence or luck that you continue to live your sheltered existence of being able to speculate on these things from a position of ignorance and you can call it what ever you like. You obviously get a kick out of demonstrating how aloof and cynical you can be, so i won’t be feeding that.

aracer
    Free Member

Well if I do ever end up in a natural disaster, I certainly won’t be wondering what somebody on the other side of the world is posting on the internet, and I’d actually much rather the media didn’t over sensationalise stuff from a position of ignorance, thus generating unnecessary worry.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well if I do ever end up in a natural disaster, I certainly won’t be wondering what somebody on the other side of the world is posting on the internet,

And what if someone close to you ends up in a natural disaster and you read some idle twittering from some **** who has no idea what they are talking about?

aracer
    Free Member

So you’re far more of an expert than me on nuclear reactors? Or are you suggesting the media are (despite the fact they struggle to string a single sentence together about it without some error)?

My deepest sympathies if you have loved ones caught up in the earthquake/tsunami, but the techies having a bit of trouble sorting out their nuclear reactor is really the least of their/your worries, despite what the media might say. You’d actually be far better off if the media weren’t over sensationalising it – which is really the whole point.

You do remember all those people in Japan who are suffering, a very small proportion of whose suffering is in any way related to a nuclear power station? Yet the big story is the nuclear plant

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My deepest sympathies if you have loved ones caught up in the earthquake/tsunami, but the techies having a bit of trouble sorting out their nuclear reactor is really the least of their/your worries, despite what the media might say. You’d actually be far better off if the media weren’t over sensationalising it – which is really the whole point.

Really now, so what was missing was you telling others in a situation you can’t begin to imagine, what to worry about and what would make them better off.Thanks for that I’m sure everyone feels much better now. I know I do

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’d actually much rather the media didn’t over sensationalise stuff

You keep saying that, but perhaps it’s your fault for reading the wrong newspapers – maybe give up reading the Daily Mail as it tends to over sensationalise most stuff ? Or at least stop complaining about
    it 💡

I’m certainly not having the same experience as you. The articles I’m reading aren’t don’t appear to be over sensationalising anything, and are simply reporting events as they happen, and quoting Japanese nuclear safety agency and government officials.

Now if your are suggesting that the events which are being reported and the quotes which are being attributed to the Japanese nuclear safety agency and government officials are false, then that’s a whole different argument.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Here you are aracer, the latest from Reuters :

“Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said two workers were missing after blasts at the facility a day earlier blew a hole in the building housing the No. 4 reactor.”

So it’s just “the techies having a bit of trouble sorting out their nuclear reactor” is it ?

However much you try to trivialise it aracer, the fact remains that the worst nuclear accident since the Chernobyl is costing lives. And many of the workers struggling at Fukushima today are likely to have an increased risk of developing cancers later on in their lives. Or are you a cancer expert as well ?

So in answer to your smug and arogant question :

“So you’re far more of an expert than me on nuclear reactors? Or are you suggesting the media are (despite the fact they struggle to string a single sentence together about it without some error)?”

I would suggest that the media are better experts concerning what is happening at Fukushima than some geezer on a bike forum, who as far as I am aware, isn’t even in Japan.

Sandwich

“Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said two workers were missing after blasts at the facility a day earlier blew a hole in the building housing the No. 4 reactor.”

They may have gone home, or had enough stress (no judgement on this from me) as the Coryton workers did when there was a bang last time.

The register has had some calm analysis on this in the past couple of days and the mass media do appear to be getting their knickers in a twist about the reactors. Given they experienced an event 30 times greater than their design allowed for, the damage sustained has been relatively light.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They may have gone home

😀 Even on building sites in Britain because of health and safety concerns, workers can’t simply go missing/go home without those who need to know, knowing. If you are seriously suggesting that security and safety is so slack in the nuclear industry, and particularly right now in Fukushima, for that to be possible, then that is hardly likely to inspire people’s confidence.

It precisely that sort of bollox : the cover-ups, the lies, the trivialisations of serious problems, that has created the climate in which so many people are filled with suspicion and mistrust.

The Japanese nuclear industry has a long record (in keeping with other nuclear industries) of cover-up and telling lies. Senior executives have had to resign precisely because of that.

I reckon you best start blaming the industry for the public’s the mistrust, not the media.

Sandwich

That is precisely what I am saying, people went home from Coryton (refinery) without informing their supervisors. Fire and rescue crews wasted time looking for them. And yes I was amazed as well, I didn’t think that sort of thing went on.
    It probably goes on at construction sites as well and gets covered up. (Construction operatives regularly lied to me and my colleagues so I would suggest that your experience is atypical. I was in H&S as part of a respected consultancy working with MCG Companies.)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes I know precisely what you are saying. I was trying to point out the breathtaking irony of you on the one hand, suggesting that everything is so slack and relaxed in a nuclear power plant in terms of security and health and safety, including one on which the eyes of the whole world are cast, that the workers might have just buggered off home.

I have worked on a building site (just ordinary flats) were you could not physically get off the site though the turnstiles without a security fob being scanned, and I know for a fact that security on the Olympic site is horrendous and includes biometric hand and iris recognition scanners.

And you on the other hand, suggesting everyone should feel highly reassured that everything is under control in terms of safety etc, because extremely reliable, efficient, and trustworthy professionals, are in charge and following very strictly laid down protocols to deal with all such events.

If what you suggest is even remotely possible, then it should be the cause of very deep concern. Maybe you can see the irony now ?

I also suggested that the trivialisations of serious obvious problems, and a general dismissive attitude towards people concerns by the nuclear industry, far from reassuring them, is likely to have the completely opposite effect.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Urgent PSA – for those in the real world’ is closed to new replies.