Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • URGENT HELP pls guys in the middle of a build and at a standill
  • kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Can someone please tell me if the bearings in the pick are facing the right way up or do i need to filp them around ??

m0rk
    Free Member

other way up

JRTG
    Free Member

Yep flip em

taxi25
    Free Member

Deff. Flip

tomhoward

Worst. New bike pic. Evah.

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Thanks guys i will take a pic of my top bearing aswell so you can tell me on them to lol

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Ha ha thanks pal ha ha

Top bearings

Flip or stick

cruzcampo
    Free Member

leave the balls should be facing down into the cup to provide smooth rolling 😀

m0rk
    Free Member

Top is fine

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Top is the right way up, but looks like there’s something stuck on the bearing? Almost looks like the compression ring is underneath the bearing, but nobody would be that daft surely..?

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

No mate it was just lifted out to show you guys wiylch way around i had them..

Getting there now though 😉

mrjmt
    Free Member

😯

daveagiles
    Free Member

Its going to take hours to get the vomit out of my keyboard. Thanks.

glupton1976
    Free Member

You need a shorter stem.

seanodav
    Free Member

more spacers under the stem i reckon, ohh hang on you have cut the steerer too short for that

tomhoward

Never mind building bikes, you’ve got weeding to be cracking on with!

Honestly, some people have no shame.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pebble dash?? 😯

cruzcampo
    Free Member

why so many spacers? 😯

I always like to have no more than 2.

scaredypants

pretty steep head-angle there – Hora’ll be cross

tonyd

Definitely more spacers needed. Hopefully you’ve got some super high rise bars to go on there, don’t want back ache 🙂

kayak23

Saddle is high! How tall are you?

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Wow some right ones replying to this thread ??? I im not building a bike for you its for me so.. If you aint got nothing nice to say an all that !!!

Right i do seem to have a tiny bit of play in the front , is this due to the the fact that the top of the steerer is bang flush with the stem ?? What options do i have ? Another spacer ?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

bang flush with the stem

You know what to do.

As for the cheeky / “nothing nice to say” comments (none of them mine btw) helpful stuff often comes from when folk make the effort to be humourous to state the obvious.

scaredypants

is this due to the the fact that the top of the steerer is bang flush with the stem ?

very likely, yes

Another spacer ?

Ys – you are allowed to put it above the stem (to protect our outraged friends from apoplexy)

Addit: you haven’t already tightened the stem on to the steerer when tensioning the top cap, have you ?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

A 5mm spacer on top should sort it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Right i do seem to have a tiny bit of play in the front , is this due to the the fact that the top of the steerer is bang flush with the stem ?? What options do i have ? Another spacer ?

Options:
    If the bar height is where you want it then cut the steerer approx 3mm below the height of the uppermost spacer.

If the bar height is correct but you really don’t want to cut the steerer than add a small spacer above the stem.

If you’re not sure about the bar height then add the spacer wherever you like.

Purely from a ‘that don’t look right’ perspective, you do already have too many spacers. Do you have a bad back, or bought too small a frame?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can I buy you a bike maintenance course for Christmas? 🙂

cruzcampo
    Free Member

i’m trying to help, and I really think you should get the steerer tube cut, a local LBS can do it for £5ish, if you don’t feel confident getting a clean cut on a hacksaw!

scaredypants

kenz – are there so many spacers just so that the topcap fits or are you keeping it that long for good ?

If the former, put them above the stem or the bike’ll feel weird (I keep meaning to cut my steerers but never get round to it

got a couple like this

P1020155 by scaredypants, on Flickr

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Hey i appreciate the genuine help guys , maybe i will just change the stem as the bike geometry doesnt feel quite right and i didnt realise that the stem change would have such an inpact ..

Yes mate you can have my maintenance course for xmas , im pretty good arnt i concidering its my first ever build thanks 😉

And also if your intersted Im pretty good with cars to heres one of mine , a little bit more diffucult than a push iron though ..

nick1962
    Free Member

Shoddy job 😉

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

[*]Scardypants its just were the spacers was with the old stem so i just put them back in the same place lol

Im not quite sure what people are saying looks wrong though ?? Is the handlebars/stem to high ??

tmb467
    Free Member

Looks about 30mm there – nowt too wrong with that

Had an uncut steerer tube on my Enduro that had 35mm below the stem and a 5mm spacer above. Had no real problems with it so if it feels ok don’t worry.

Gary_C

Never mind the bike, lets have more info on the 260Z please !

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

If you bin one of the 5mm spacers you have on there and stick a 10mm above the stem that should allow you to take up the slack.

scaredypants

only you’ll know if they’re too high – don’t listen to us; we’re not riding it

but: Unless you have the seatpost way long too, you’re going to have your bars higher than the designer intended (so what ?!)

If your seatpost is really long too, oyu may have a frame that’s too small for you (in which case a ded short stem may not be helping you)

In the end though, you get to decide what’s right

nick1962
    Free Member

Im not quite sure what people are saying looks wrong though ?? Is the handlebars/stem to high ?

No just the number of spacers underneath the stem for me! Makes it look unbalanced.Some fork manufacturers recommend no more than 30mm of spacers below the stem as well ,presumably (?)because the greater leverage could cause problems.Stem length is another matter 🙂 to do with your reach.
    Just have a look at a few other bike pics to get an idea.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Im not quite sure what people are saying looks wrong though ??

Spacers are generally used to make relatively small adjustments to the handlebar height. 30+mm of spacers is a pretty big adjustment and it look as though you’re trying to compensate for too small a frame by extending the head tube with spacers.

There are exceptions which is why I said it looks wrong rather than it is wrong, plenty of people find that a higher front end suits them but don’t want to go up a frame size as this would normally result in an increase in the top tube length causing them to be uncomfortably stretched out. Ultimately if it feels OK to you it doesn’t matter that it’s a aesthetically challenged.

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Begining to understand now thanks 😉

I have made a few adjustments .. just need to cut the steerer if im kepping this stem as it still doesnt clamp it properly

sugdenr
    Free Member

Enough with bike pics already, now about that awsumz Nissan 😉 of yours, where do you want to start?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘URGENT HELP pls guys in the middle of a build and at a standill’ is closed to new replies.