Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • URGENT help!!! brake bleeding problem in progress
  • highlandmtbgirl
    Free Member

got the basic bleed kit, have the shimano instruction video (shimano m575). followed instructions and as soon as i open the bleed nipple on the fluid starts creeping UP the tube towards the bottle and however hard i squeeze the bottle this continues til i close the nipple. The fluids supposed to go down into the system not some out of it and none of the instructions i can find refer to this happening so i havent a clue what to do and meanwhile i cannot start again cos the tube is full of fluid now. Any ideas????

ilovemygears
    Free Member

pull the lever down as you close the nipple, bleed like on a motor bike

highlandmtbgirl
    Free Member

just tried closing nipple and pulling brake at same time – didnt seem to make a difference. The fluid level in the tube has now risen to nearly the bottle now, argh! even tried releasing the lever while releasingt he brake lever thinking that would suck the tube contents bake into the system, but that didnt work either. Any other ideas?

ilovemygears
    Free Member

as your pulling the brake close the nipple so fluid is comeing out as you closeing it, have you got the pistons held in place with the yellow block

highlandmtbgirl
    Free Member

yes, yellow spacer between pistons, yellow reservoir thingy screwed into the lever, tube and squeezy bottle attached to the calliper bleed nipple. All the instructions say eighth turn open nipple and push fluid in and air and fluid supposed to appear in reservoir, but its backing up into the bottle now even after pulling lever while closing nipple. Nothings coming into the reservoir at the top at all.

Marko

I think you need to open the nipple a bit more.

If the fluid is dropping into your bottle/syringe then that’s just gravity doing it’s thing.It shows that you have no blockage though.

Open the nipple more and squeeze the bottle – a syringe would be better.

Hth – but I doubt it!

Marko

steel4real
    Free Member

Regardless of what the video shows you (does it apply to the M575 levers ??) you need a syringe at the caliper end not a bottle. And I quote directly from the shimano instructions :-

“and then loosen the bleed nipple by 1/8 of a turn to open it.
    Push the plunger of the syringe to add oil.”

steel4real
    Free Member

Oh – I’ve checked the Shimano video and what do you know, they use a SYRINGE !

Why are you using a bottle when all the Shimano instructions describe using a SYRINGE !?

PJay
    Free Member

I think that the M575 are the of the newer type that require a bottom up bleed from the bled nipple (rather than a top down one from the resevoir like my old M585s used to). You really need a syringe. If you’ve got a basic Shimano bleed kit you’ve probably got a length of hose and a small dropper bottle of oil; I’d guess that this is the bottle you’re trying to attach to the bleed nipple. To do the bleed properly you’ll need a syringe filled with the oil in place of the bottle and you’ll also need one of these bleed tools for the lever end. If when you open the nipple there’s oil moving up the tube it sounds like you’ve got a filled system, it might be easier to drain it first and then bleed with new fluid.

Shimano have a handy video tutorial

Good luck, I dreaded my first hydraulic brake bleed but was forced into it when I inadvetently part popped a piston out whilst trying to clean it up. Once I’d managed it once it was fine (and I’ve since replaced calipers). If you struggle though I’m sure that the LBS would help you out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘URGENT help!!! brake bleeding problem in progress’ is closed to new replies.