Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • URGENT email titles
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

Has anyone else had experience of colleagues/consultants putting URGENT as the first word in their email titles? It really irks me for some reason, like no one else’s emails are as important as theirs.

Vent over.

bearnecessities

RE:2/10.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Why are you posting on here when you have that URGENT email to respond to?

wwaswas

“If it was really urgent they’d phone” is my attitude.

Putting ‘urgent’ in the title is just trying to make other people think you’ve got important things that need doing.

Or you’re piss poor at planning and forgot to sort something out in good time.

mrsheen
    Free Member

I just deleted it. Hark at me. 8)

footflaps

Or people who set the priority to High on every email, like IGAF how important they think it is!

jimdubleyou

TOP URGENT

They can **** do one. I’ll get to it when I’m ready.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Misread the name of the thread.

Came in here expecting URGENT email titties.

Is disappoint. 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well if it is urgent thats ok, if it was really urgent they should phone you. In fact you could phone them to ask what’s in the message.

FYI I had a colleague who set up a rule to colour code messages where he was in the To vs messages where he was CC – he generally read all the To and often didn’t open the others till much later. Had another colleague who only read emails in the first hour of his day, people soon understood if it was important they should phone him

pondo

TOP URGENT

People do that? Wow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I just got an urgent phone call…..about a visa. Great -but im on holiday as in bonefida booked in day off out of office is on leave me alone kinda day.

“Can you just”

What part of holiday dont you understand?

As well as my laptop , passport and paperwork being in my desk drawer which is a 30mile round trip away.

Although im not a complete **** if it really was urgent (in my book that is ongoing operations with complications needing assistance) then id be all over it.

senorj

The Read/reply notification thing boils my urine. Sneaky bastids.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I always click dont send on those senor j 🙂

slowoldman

Eh? Work phone left on when on holiday?

P-Jay
    Free Member

senor j – Member

The Read/reply notification thing boils my urine. Sneaky bastids.

I have never, not once, agreed to a read notification.

Yeah I get URGENT all the time, agree with the above, it’s just queue jumping in my workload and it’s inefficient for me because I have to stop what I’m doing to piss about with it.

Really, it’s just people communicating badly – if your house is on fire, you don’t e-mail the fire brigade.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Nah read it but don’t respond. Reply with out of office

Phil_H

Emails marked URGENT usually get left until later in the day.
    As other have said, if it is that urgent then phone me/come to my office and speak to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Slowoldman Waiting on a call about carpet fititng – stupidly gsve them my works number 🙂

Figured the strange locla number was them – nope travel dept,

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Depends if they do it once every six months or six times a day. Having said that I don’t think I’ve ever received one with URGENT in the title.

hot_fiat

I had an idiot manager who, when trying to instill a urgency in an email, put the content of the mail in the subject line – even to customers. She’d then flag the thing as High Importance and switch on read, delivery and wipe own arse receipts. I set up an auto-reply rule for the receipts with a link to the MS KB articles about why you should never send receipts.

househusband

The Rector (headmistress) has this at the bottom of her emails, others in the Senior Management started doing the same:

‘Please note if I am copied (c.c) into correspondence it will not be treated as priority.’

The ‘urgent’ red exclamation mark is, admittedly, seldom used at the school.

senorj

I always click dont send on those

I have never, not once, agreed to a read notification.

Me too – but it’s the cheek of it. 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s really that urgent, use the phone. I’ll send it to answer phone then 😀

BillOddie

I get emails that are marked TOP TOP TOP urgent.

They get ignored for at least a day.

thecaptain
    Free Member

deleted, distracted by my coffee and beaten to it

scaredypants

I’ve not yet come across “top urgent” or any of its more melodramatic derivatives

… maybe I’m out of the loop 🙁

(I mean 😀 , obvz)

bruneep

I have an email filter for that.

Nope I never got your *****urgent****** email

munrobiker
    Free Member

Any email that’s marked High Importance gets ignored. What kind of arsehole even bothers to click that?

tomhoward

90% of requests I get are ‘urgent’, ‘mega urgent’ or !!!!!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!! usually followed with all manner of bare faced lies to try and justify the urgency…

‘It’s for an order today’ (from customer) two weeks later ‘could you refresh your quote, adding 3 different options, expecting an order in the next hour so need asap’ is pretty normal

As is ‘need it by 530 tonight (at say 5.10) followed by ‘thanks, I’ll send that to my client in the morning’

‘Im on my way to a (£500k+) tender submission meeting, so I need my cost from you in the next 1/2 hour.’ That one was genuine, how stupid/disorganised do you have to be to leave getting how much something is going to cost you, especially at that cost, until the drive to the client?!?

He worst thing is they will scream blue murder to management (behind my back) if their requests aren’t done in the ridiculous timescales they set. Both internal people and customers…

MrOvershoot

Just sorted my emails by priority flag and noticed 2 people who send every email with the red “High Priority” flag on 😮

I had sort of guessed it would be those 2 people, and guess what its become like cry wolf with them as I just know its going to say high priority so take no notice and sort things out in the order they came in to me.

jonba
    Free Member

I never send read receipts either, who does and why does the sender think that you will?

Also URGENT can be urgent but I tend to filter based on who is sending the email. Sometimes it is urgent and it as come out of the blue and needs resolving. From some people everything is urgent and that is because they operate in a disorganized fashion leaving everything to the last minute (Just in Time?).

Harry_the_Spider

I get lots of TOP URGENT!!!

All part of the game.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s time to up the game.

From now on all my emails will have headers which include….

A CHILDS FACE MAY BE INJURED!!

or

YOUR PUDDING IS IN JEOPARDY!!

or

SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG!!!

jekkyl

love the people who people who send you an email with urgent on and then phone you maybe 30 minutes later and start with ‘did you recieve my email’ – when what they wanted to say was ‘I sent you an urgent email why haven’t you replied yet’

P-Jay
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

love the people who people who send you an email with urgent on and then phone you maybe 30 minutes later and start with ‘did you recieve my email’ – when what they wanted to say was ‘I sent you an urgent email why haven’t you replied yet’

Yep, in fairness my boss will sometimes e-mail me, then immediately call me because it’s urgent, but he needs to send me lots of info about it to discuss during our call – these usually don’t have headers or subject lines. THAT’S how to use e-mail urgently.

We’ve also started using Skype for Business a lot (it’s wonderful btw) but human nature being what it is… if anyone hasn’t used it’ it’s a bit like MSN messanger from way-back-when, but with lots more functionality – but it tells you if the other person is as their desk, or they’re in a meeting or they’re ‘idle’ (gone for a wee-wee etc) all automatically – but every exchange starts “Hello, are you there?”

retro83
    Free Member

Or people who have pictures as their signature, so Outlook thinks every email from them has attachments thus rendering it impossible to identify the one email which actually does have an attachment.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘URGENT email titles’ is closed to new replies.