Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Urg- Accidents Happen!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Took my house mate out on a ride in Morzine and Les Gets today after equipping her with high rollers and some good pedals on her all mountain rocky mountain element 30. She was slow but steady on Pleney and was really listening to advice well – however.. without warning just after crossing over to Les Gets she lost her footing on a smooth bit of ground that proceeded into a 1 meter gentle slope but as she had at this point lost control she went off the track into some soft grass.

Sounds like nothing?

Next thing I know shes upside down with her leg being supported by my helmet and I’m calling in the paramedics! the chain ring had ripped up the back of her leg a good 5″ and muscle deep! blood everywhere!

Guy comes down with a big bag of bandages, goes “woah” calls in the land rover… rover comes… calls in the ambulance… ambulance comes – goes to the doctors surgery – doctor comes – sends her to Thonon Hospital!

Now shes just had a sterile shower with iodine and is currently in surgery!

She had full body armour head to toe…. and just ridden pleney well!

Whatever the odds are, I don’t like them!

Pictures tomorrow! (not for the squeemish)

carlosg
    Free Member

Sounds nasty , would a bash ring have prevented the chainring cutting her?

highclimber
    Free Member

maybe you should have bought her a chain guard instead! healing vibes to your friend and hope you’re not too mentally scarred either!

alexxx
    Free Member

A bash ring would have helped but the way it unfolded was very very unlucky. Her bike is a do it all jobbie so she needs the gears and where she fell it wasn’t because she was doing something the bike wasn’t designed to do. Infact very much in its comfort zone.

I’d even made sure the rear shock rebound was slowed down and all that caper 🙁 bad looks! not mentally scarred just a bit “ugggg its my fault” but I think its such a freak accident it couldn’t have been avoided.

Could have happened on a fire road (which is pretty much what the track was like where she fell).

boo! least shes hard as nails and wanted lots of gory pictures

highclimber
    Free Member

least shes hard as nails and wanted lots of gory pictures

put ’em up, put ’em up!!

alexxx
    Free Member

I would right now but she has her blackberry on her. I’ve just got a picture of her bed socks haha! good things come to those who wait. Apparently (she can speak fluent french) the doctors were having a conversation that went “…do you think the ligament is damaged… I’m not sure but the muscle is torn” urggh. proper grim!

I hope she doesn’t put my rent up arrrf!

alexxx
    Free Member

(they also said you could see the ligament very clearly!)

kevin1911

Yikes. That’s real bad luck. Could happen to anyone, regardless of skill or confidence level.

Look forward to seeing the pics. Not had a gorefest thread for a while.

Edit – hope she mends quickly

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

jeez!! it was me who bought the bike with her – pass on my best!! was she still on her flats, or had she put the spds on?

have now had 2 mates in morzine having bad bike related injuries – the other came off the road bike going pretty fast – wrecked the bike and lost loads of skin…

M6TTF
    Free Member

Chicks dig scars…

project
    Free Member

Next thing I know shes upside down with her leg being supported by my helmet and I’m calling in the paramedics! the chain ring had ripped up the back of her leg a good 5″ and muscle deep! blood everywhere

Hope shes ok, but you may well want to rephrase the above, just for decency.

alexxx
    Free Member

I will Tom thanks mate, totally crap isn’t it! she was riding a grippy pair of flats I put on for her actually to avoid her losing her footing
    🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Freak accident!

billysugger
    Free Member

Bummer.

Scars are good icebreakers.

When you left her was she “ggggGGGNAAR THAT URT” or is she down about it?

alexxx
    Free Member

I literally thought she had been stung by a wasp or something as she was hopping about saying “come here”… I well wasn’t expecting the damage that I saw! I’m going to go pick her up and see if we can share the gnarrr pictures with you folk 🙂

Apparently she had a spine injection so she couldnt feel her legs whilst they fixed it back together! sounds crazy, guessing it was an epidural type jobbie.

Don’t know how I’d feel about not feeling my legs!

alexxx
    Free Member

pictures as promised… sorry I do need to apologise somewhat as we don’t have a picture of the full wound only the lower 1/2 that was popping out after my attempt to stop blood.

enjoy the montage:

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is she going to be ok with you posting pictures of her gash?

alexxx
    Free Member

yep, just not the bed socks

getonyourbike
    Free Member

that might be a contender for the MBR (I think) award thingy for injuries and gore. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats a beauty.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

‘kin-ell – ‘enjoy the montage’ was hardly warning for pic 5 after the ‘arty shadows’ of pics 1 to 3…. 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

farg…

thomthumb
    Free Member

something about her face too. 😯

Muke
    Free Member

That gash photo belongs on rotten.com

I was about to have a brew and a jam sandwich but am not so hungry now,
    hope she gets better soon

alexxx
    Free Member

hahaha what warning do you need, from post 1 I made clear that it was grim!

footflaps

impressive bit of gore there….

big_scot_nanny

****! OUCH!
    get well soon and all that!

alexxx
    Free Member

ps can I have your jam sandwich im ungrys!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

😯

willard

Awesome photo and a great injury!

Wish your friend a very quick recovery and tell her that STW sends her a big hug.

5thElefant
    Free Member

😯

billysugger
    Free Member

She’s still got a beautiful face

alexxx
    Free Member

will do will thanks for the kind words 🙂 I love it how (myself included) all the guys that see this are freaked out and she’s basking in the glory of being well ard! 😀 amazing she is a legend

retro83
    Free Member

At least she’s managed to keep smiling.

Edukator
    Free Member

A good advert for double and bash.

alexxx
    Free Member

nah a good advert for a freak accident but no denying if we work on maybies then it could have helped.. but whos to say something else wouldnt have been damaged badly!?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m on the BBG website as we speak. Quality injury.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nice gash.

convert

That’s one of those injuries that when its happened to yourself you’d rather have not looked down and seen!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Sheesh! Fair play . . . heal real soon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Urg- Accidents Happen!’ is closed to new replies.