Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Urban seagulls – what’s the law on ‘handling’?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

That time of year is here when the gulls that nest on our office roof are laying/hatching, and they become very protective of their territory, and severely disrespectful of others’, like the cars being coated every day in a big mess o’ guano.
    At another location I attend for work at this time of year (for roof inspection) they are complete bastids, and now recognise me and single me out for attention. Frequent bombing raids are now routine.

What I’d like to know is what I am within my rights to do about it.
    Might I borrow an airgun (with permission for use and from landowner) and take ’em out that way?
    Can I ‘defend myself’ with a slingshot or some such thing?
    I don’t think they’re protected, but I’m unclear.

They’re not a special rare breed or the like, just your common pesky scavenging gulls.

Cheers

uplink
    Free Member

and severely disrespectful of others

😀 😀 😀

antigee

and now recognise me and single me out for attention

not sure if to suggest disguise as a predator – good program about kimodo dragons on kids tv yesterday – dressed up as one of those and most of the animal kingdom and your own offspring will be scared sh!tl@ss (which could be handy) or drugs or both maybe

stuckinarut
    Free Member

They might be

just your common pesky scavenging gulls

but chances are they are Herring gulls and have recently been red listed. Their numbers have dropped 50% in recent years.

So don’t go air-rifling them eh? Praps give them a sacrificial bag of chips?

Seriously, if they are causing a problem, praps you should contact the RSPB – maybe they could re-locate them from your roof.

Jay
    Free Member

If i remember correctly it’s illegal to cull seagulls (unless your licenced to do so) if they pose a threat to health or safety get onto the council, they will conduct a cull if necessary.

thomthumb
    Free Member

[loudhailer]

HORA TO THE FORUM PLEASE

[/loudhailer]

thomthumb
    Free Member

but seriously risk assesment – if they are increasing you risk of being on the roof refuse to get up there.

timber

there are things you can do, but a public forum maybe isn’t the place to let on about the goings on in seagull infested coastal towns

epicyclo

They might enjoy a game of baseball if you take a bat with you next time. Even got team names for you – Flying Rats v Swinging Bats

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tis illegal to inhumanely kill any animal, so you’d better be damn sure you’re a good shot with your slingshot!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Carbide

thats all I’ll say!

VanHalen

arnt all nesting birds protected?

zulu – pop goes the seagull!

beaker

Fishing for seagulls anyone?

bassspine
    Free Member

Beaker: I caught a seagull in Mallaig harbour once with a mackerel lure – I cast and the bastid swooped down and swallowed it.

high pressure hose?

waynekerr
    Free Member

I’m 95% certain it is illegal to kill them when you are on land, but not so from a boat, & BTW an airgun pellet would just bounce off there chest unless you got it up under the feathers, even then it probably would not kill them, you would need a headshot.

hora
    Free Member

Ah seagullying. OP, you have people seagullying against your window at work? 😮

smiffy

Carbide’s good, baking powder is the next best thing.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Hmmmm. All good advice.
    I’m intrigued about waynekerr’s ‘from a boat’ suggestion. Maybe if I hitch a dinghy to a trailer and drive to the trouble spots, park up and sit in the dinghy……

My slingshot broke y’day, just as I was getting accurate with moving targets – one satisfyingly direct hit, so I upgraded to top-of-the-range and shall return tomorrow.

Baking powder wrapped in in wee bread balls? Is that the way?

As for nesting, as part of the roof’s maintenance all ‘debris’ was removed, so, no nests.

More tomorrow.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmm. All good advice.

Even MINE? 😮

ski
    Free Member

you can paint the eggs apparently, that is if they let you ;-0

verses

I’m truly appalled at epicyclo’s suggestion of using a baseball bat against seagulls! What kind of suggestion is that?! I mean this is England FFS!

Surely it should be a cricket bat…

coffeeking
    Free Member
    rkk01
    Free Member

You need a licence from Natural England

epicyclo

verses – Member
    I’m truly appalled at epicyclo’s suggestion of using a baseball bat against seagulls! What kind of suggestion is that?! I mean this is England FFS!

Surely it should be a cricket bat…

Ah, but I have lived in Oz for many years and know how crap the average Englishman is with a cricket bat…. 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

another for carbide. Remarkably humane as its quick.

mt
    Free Member
    AndyP
    Free Member

it’s illegal to cull seagulls

correct. However, fisting them or using them for wolfbagging is positively smiled upon in parts of the country.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

That BBC story is interesting.

“Gulls can live for 40 years” ???

No way! Well, not if I have anything to do with it!

Councils are reluctant to cull them as it may be seen as unpopular?? They’ll take measures against rats…. why not stinky, noisy, sh1tty gulls?

That’s it. Until I can source carbide, the catapult is coming back out. Feckers are gettin’ it the morra.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Urban seagulls – what’s the law on ‘handling’?’ is closed to new replies.