Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Urban mountain biking.
  • kudos100
    Free Member

Anyone do it? I haven’t got the motivation to go out on the quagmire like trails at the moment and road riding bores the hell out of me, so thought I’d give it a go.

I’ll be riding my dj bike and manualling and jumping everything I can 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I often take my Enduro out in That London for a play. Flats on, and just go play on stuff. Great fun.

Have pondered getting some Hookworms as well, for added urban-phatnezz.

watsontony
    Free Member

yes do this most evenings i use my kona stinky and my mate used to use this. with hookworms. only advice on the hookworms is be careful VERY careful in the wet

Conan257
    Free Member

Used to call it street riding, back in the day!

Towns are too busy during daylight hours nowadays, and too busy at night with the clubbers.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Yep, I have a couple of urban rat runs and then out onto cheeky trails(aka footpaths) so i ride them at night in winter when nobody else is using them. It a solo game though so take care in the tough urban world 8) but it beats riding in mud every time.

composite
    Free Member

In my head I have been trying to stitch together a run round the centre of Birmingham. Ridden a few bits of it just getting around town. I guess now the clocks have gone back is the time to start trying to actually put it together. Probably get away with it better in the dark but won’t have to hang around town so late for the streets to get quiet.

PiknMix
    Free Member

In Leicester it’s either street or roadie! I take my 150mm bike to play. Underpass sets of steps and uol double set to the medical building ftw.

kudos100
    Free Member

Think I’m going to go out and put together a little route around the city.

kimbers

i love enjoy down the steps outside brentford courthouse on my way to morrisons

the security guard doesnt even bother to tell me off

billytinkle
    Free Member

only advice on the hookworms is be careful VERY careful in the wet

I’ve got holy rollers on mine, great in the wet for the commute. Could see them working well for urban stuff.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Sunday mornings are great in Bradford town centre, not many peeps about at all

yabzego
    Free Member

manchester city centre,,,,sportcity beswick is my playground, im what you would call an urban xc kinda rider…since being banned(too many speedin tickets) i use my explosif(soon to be stripped parts donated to my new piglet ti)to get about on and believe,,, the cuts i take are as bold as any out in the trails,xc loops etc.
    of course ive put headlights on wiyh the darker nights but thats just to let people.. other traffic im comin thru…i suppose i get a kick out of takin risks..and ive ended up on my arse a few times mostly in the wet..being manchester n all…im not a typical cycalist cycler if u no wot i mean…going off the regulars on here theres too much maths involved for me!…but urban xc love it!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Done it a few times just messing around. There are some good big drops at the fountain at the top of New St in brum. We had some races down the fire escape of Waitrose in Mere Green a couple of times, very sketchy as it was too tight for two bikes. There are some good stair drops to slippy block paving landings in Sutton town centre. We also used to launch off the top of the underpass stairs in brum before they were filled in. That’s fun, two riders trying to get as far as possible down some stairs. Landing to flat would have been impossible 10ft down and at least 20ft in. Landing on wet stairs at 20 mph is as hard as it sounds.

Don’t think I would do any of that these days, I don’t have the stones these days.

nick1962
    Free Member

Swindon’s where it’s happenin’ dudes (behind Nationwide)

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Or is it riding around listening to N-dubz whilst wearing a baseball cap and saying innit on the end of every sentence?!?

chiefgrooveguru

The local uni campus’s steps, pathways and embankments are great fun after a muddy ride, huck it (small) to flat and all that!

andrewh
    Free Member

Any hills in your town?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0VLouJFNQ[/video]

kimbers

aberystwyth uni was great for street riding, on top of a hill steps all the way thru the campus, down the cheeky footpath to the seafront

swingbing
    Free Member

@composite I’m up for a ride around Brum sometime, always good to ride with someone new.

I_Ache
    Free Member

If there is an organised street ride around brum I may well be up for it.

lunge

Street ride in Brum? Yep, I’m in for that as well.

brodie
    Free Member

Bristol has one of the best cycle lanes i’ve ever known, runs from Ashton court down the basin.

shindiggy
    Free Member

New thread needed for B’ham street ride? May make my commute to work more fun.

Stoner
    Free Member

midsummer sunday mornings in that there London…

Houns

Up for a brum ride

Stoner
    Free Member

I misread that houns…

yabzego
    Free Member

BEST tyres for urban xc…..? wet n dry !

I_Ache
    Free Member

Best tyre is probably something with a very soft compound and with a pretty large volume. Do they do a super tacky holy roller or hookworm?

_tom_
    Free Member

Would rather do it on a bmx tbh. Foot high ledges = fast feeble grinds for as long as possible 🙂

Alex

Brum looks fab. I’d be up for that. We used to do a bit in Aylesbury and Oxford. Was good fun.

DSCN2624 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Still have that bike. Would be fun to take it down the millions of steps in Brum.

Stoner
    Free Member

is that the pastley frame?

mbarnes
    Free Member

Anyone seen the carpark racing on the dirt magazine website?

Alex

That for me Mark? If so, nope it’s my venerable DMR Trailstar LT. Shortest number of miles/greatest amount of abuse of any bike I’ve had. It was once run over by a very big bike at Chicky, put a dent in the TT, mailed a pic to DMR who just laughed and said ‘ride it, it’ll be fine’, And it has been.

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought yours was a black one – I wonder who had that?

its easy to be confused with all your bikes eh? 🙂

Alex

😉 Oh this one you mean…

Dunno! June 04 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

No that was an Atomlab Trailpimp. First frame turned up. Was bent. Second frame turned up. Was also bent. Bought the DMR instead. That head angle suggests some brisk steering 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

how inevitable…. 🙂

swingbing
    Free Member

Birmingham street ride, seems it deserves it’s own thread… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/birmingham-streeturban-ride?replies=1#post-4336194

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Urban mountain biking.’ is closed to new replies.