Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Urban Cyclist Magazine
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Found a new magazine whilst waiting at Stansted. It comes out every quarter. Good magazine in my opinion. Bit different from the usual stuff. Lots of fixie content.

Urban Cyclist Mag

BadlyWiredDog

Is it a real magazine, when I saw it on Bikeradar I thought it was an April fool? You’re not just having a laugh?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Made of paper and everything. Similar quality to Privateer.

ahwiles
    Free Member

‘i assumed it was a joke’ +1

kimbers

I saw it in whsmith, Never read it but the cover made me want to scream with rage

aP
    Free Member

I think I’m 20 years to old for it

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

It would appear I’m in the minority then……

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m guessing
    top ten ways to fixie your single speed
    5 tips on how to steal your sisters jeans
    best latte spots no near any big hills?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I’ll pick up a copy on the way into work today, I’m very open minded so will give it a try and an honest, unblinkered opinion,

(and yes I ride a fixie, however any jeans I wear are skinny on me)

BadlyWiredDog

It would appear I’m in the minority then……

Well, let’s be honest, a magazine targeted at fixie-riding, urban, cooler than thou, fashionistas is never going to be exactly mainstream is it? Future’s gamble, I guess, is that there are enough urban life-stylers out there to make it commercially viable. Are there? I don’t know, but it’s a long way from a niche mountain biking title targeted at overweight, middle-aged N+1ers, so yes, you probably are in minority…

mogrim

Well, let’s be honest, a magazine targeted at fixie-riding, urban, cooler than thou, fashionistas is never going to be exactly mainstream is it?

Given the majority of the population lives in urban areas, and has to get to work… I’d suggest it’s probably more mainstream than you think. Not that I’m planning on buying it, though.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Given the majority of the population lives in urban areas, and has to get to work… I’d suggest it’s probably more mainstream than you think. Not that I’m planning on buying it, though.

I bought issue 1 and was hoping it was commuter mainstream with a touch of cool. Unfotrunately it was…

top ten ways to fixie your single speed
    5 tips on how to steal your sisters jeans
    best latte spots no near any big hills

chakaping
    Free Member
    flange
    Free Member

I bought it – its ok, bit Hoxton for my liking but has some decent articles about gear to commute in and stuff. Something different from the same regurgitate articles you get in Cycling plus

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, but it’s not a commuter magazine. And do commuters read magazines about commuting. On that basis you’d expect, oh I dunno, Extreme Tube Traveller to be doing well in London. Or Practical Motorway Driver to be selling like hotcakes. Sure, commuters read but they don’t read about commuting.

What would a commuter bike magazine read like? Ten Great Traffic Light Tips? Ride Like A Death Courier – We Tell You How? Cargo Bag Of The Year? ‘Commuter Route Guide – Five Great London Rat-Runs To Glory with maps and GPX files’? ”High Viz Shoot-Out’?

You might buy one copy out of interest, but you’re not likely to subscribe. Or maybe you are. And I guess if Urban Cyclist exists, Extreme Commuter might have a shot at glory too.

I like the idea of Urbane Cyclist – grooming tips for the urban fashionista, ten top leg razors tested, 30-minute makeover sponsored by Rapha. Post-ride Ceansing Tips – How To Get Mud Out of Your Ears etc. Please Future, I would buy it and so would millions of other dishevelled bikers… probably. 😉

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog makes a few good points. The mag does cater for the wannabe fixie. But at the same time it does seem to full of reviews of useful stuff like what bag to go for. How many of commuters would love a bag that held all the stuff and laptop/sandwhiches/football kit/ipod but didn’t give you a sweaty back.
    And for many people cycling to work is nothing to do with getting run over. it’s about looking “cool” on the road as well as in the office.

Anything that can encourage more people to bike to work is surely a step forward?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Pick up a copy on way into office this morning, flicked through it whilst having elevenses, then found myself reading and enjoying it over my Friday lunch hour as opposed to sitting in the pub, (well it was sunny so I sat outside local cafe with a panini and an espresso) well put together and entertaining, however I can understand why it is not a monthly magazine, I will probably give the next issue as go as a comparison

mogrim

well it was sunny so I sat outside local cafe with a panini and an espresso

Target audience, really – you could have had a sandwich and a coffee, but noooooo…

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Debated a sandwich, but the fat Cuban panini is soo good

imnotverygood

Great quote from the Bike Radar article:

“I think people realise after a while that, if you want to do any decent riding, you’re going to need some gears,” 😀

Looks like the Emperor has no clothes

Aristotle
    Free Member

As we presumably lag behind London, there are still a fair few bikes with one gear on the (very flat) streets of the Manchester conurbation.

I’ve noticed that many do have freewheels though.

It may not score many cool points, but a geared cross-bike, tourer or ‘hybrid'(29er?) ie. what my grandad would have known as “a bike”, with puncture-resistant tyres, mudguards and a panniers on a rack is the way to go for commuting.

bumps
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s not a commuter magazine. And do commuters read magazines about commuting. On that basis you’d expect, oh I dunno, Extreme Tube Traveller to be doing well in London. Or Practical Motorway Driver to be selling like hotcakes. Sure, commuters read but they don’t read about commuting.

What would a commuter bike magazine read like? Ten Great Traffic Light Tips? Ride Like A Death Courier – We Tell You How? Cargo Bag Of The Year? ‘Commuter Route Guide – Five Great London Rat-Runs To Glory with maps and GPX files’? ”High Viz Shoot-Out’?

You might buy one copy out of interest, but you’re not likely to subscribe. Or maybe you are. And I guess if Urban Cyclist exists, Extreme Commuter might have a shot at glory too.

I like the idea of Urbane Cyclist – grooming tips for the urban fashionista, ten top leg razors tested, 30-minute makeover sponsored by Rapha. Post-ride Ceansing Tips – How To Get Mud Out of Your Ears etc. Please Future, I would buy it and so would millions of other dishevelled bikers… probably.

Now that made me laugh. Loudly. I’d even say it made me ‘LOL’…

Anyway, bought issue 1 as was intrigued. Left it in Costa for someone else.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Boneshaker magazine is infinitely superior

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll buy it, it’ll make no difference to my life but I’m interested in the content.

My fixie is a BLS and has been used <10 times in the last 3 months. Too cold for rolled up skinnies and a T. But summers nearly here.
    One gears enough for That Landarn despite the fashion(s)

mintimperial

I’ve not read it but I think it’s great. More bike mags means more people thinking about bikes more of the time, which has to be a good thing. So: the more bike mags the better, and this one gives superior types something to sneer about, double win. 😉

I do like the idea of ‘Practical Motorway Driver’ though, I’d probably read that. 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

My eyes may have been playing tricks on me but I am pretty sure I saw a ‘cycling commuter’ magazine in w12 smiths last week.

Something for urban fixie readers to look down on presumably?

It’s enough to make you weep 🙁

faz083
    Free Member

“top ten cycling caps to wear with the peak up, off the bike”

ronjeremy
    Free Member

it’s not what you ride, it’s that you ride……

bumps
    Free Member

I’ve not read it but I think it’s great. More bike mags means more people thinking about bikes more of the time, which has to be a good thing. So: the more bike mags the better, and this one gives superior types something to sneer about, double win.

Actually that’s a fair point.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Was in a northern bike shop last weekend, buying some new lights, guy behind the counter produces a promotional copy of this while the card reader whirred away, shows me the cover and says ‘don’t think we’re going to be selling this, we’ve got bloody great hills and bloody awful coffee’ – made me smile

MrSmith
    Free Member

Surprised it has nationwide distribution to the turgid backwaters of the shires and grim north.
    Can’t they stockpile them for 10 years then ride the fixie mania wave that’s going to hit in 2022?

epicyclo

imnotverygood – Member
    Great quote from the Bike Radar article:

“I think people realise after a while that, if you want to do any decent riding, you’re going to need some gears,”

Oh boy, am I going to get arrested for indecent riding now?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Not a bad read as I’m just getting into singlespeed. Nice to see the NS Analog featured as I’ve just built one from frame and better bits than full built one – and cheaper too. Handy read for someone looking for a new bike. Bit too much bikes and gear and not enough features for me though. Not going to keep me occupied for 3 months.

Still at least it hasn’t got pictures of open wounds and ugly faceplanted faces. 😯

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Urban Cyclist Magazine’ is closed to new replies.