Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • UR GRING IZ….HOLYCRAPOLA WUD U LUKKATTIT!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

147mph.

Crikey.

Sauce.

ulysse
    Free Member

I often wonder at the decision for guy martin using a truck as a tow…

garage-dweller

What has been seen cannot be unseen. I don’t care what records you’ve set on it that’s no looker! Although in fairness that’s a stonking record.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

What’s with all the suspension? Looks pretty flat.

RustySpanner

Love the brakes.
    🙂

I believe the surface is pretty rough.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

17ers for 2017 then?

joshvegas
    Free Member

At 147mph the first divot would send you sky ward with no suspension.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

At 100mph plus I don’t imagine pretty flat is actually all that flat.

godzilla
    Free Member

Wins Strava.

cheers_drive

Because at 147mph I’d some small bump are going to seam pretty big

cyclistm
    Free Member

Never seen a brake on a chainring before. I guess it’s ‘fixed’ and pretty tricky to slow down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s with all the suspension? Looks pretty flat

I guess at 147mph even undulations become big impacts, same way a road bike manages without any suspension at <30mph (or <70 in the alps), but motorbikes need it at 70-200mph.

[edit, beaten too that point]

Would that disk brake be more or less powerful, I can’t figure it out, chainring spins slower which implies less energy?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

RST and KHS its 1996 all over again.

zippykona

I didn’t know range rovers could go that fast.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I didn’t know range rovers could go that fast.

Assuming it’s the blown 5 litre V8 petrol SVR RR Sport, it’s good for 160+ on a road. What it can do on a salt flat is another question.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

cyclistm – Member
    Never seen a brake on a chainring before. I guess it’s ‘fixed’ and pretty tricky to slow down

I wonder if that chain ring is bloody heavy to act in part as a fly wheel?

rOcKeTdOg

UCI officials would give a time penalty for drafting a team car

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Towed up to 90mph!

twisty

What is most impresses me about this is that it is done on a relatively bumpy salt flat. Surely even higher speeds would be possible on a smooth runway, could run lower rolling resistance tyres etc.

atlaz
    Free Member

They’d need to use something pretty long. They used 4 miles for this record and for comparison, Heathrow is around 2.5 miles

zero-cool
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s cheating unless pedalled from a standing start. None of this getting towed to a certain speed.
    Regardless of what the actual rules are.

Tom KP

joshvegas
    Free Member

I agree castest speed on a bike yes

Fastest cyclist… no

twisty

They’d need to use something pretty long. They used 4 miles for this record and for comparison, Heathrow is around 2.5 miles

Yeah the Kennedy space centre runway and VW’s Ehra-Lessien track are both over 4 miles long but would most likely be prohibitively expensive to hire for a day.

phiiiiil

Would it even be possible to start from a standstill with that truly massive gear? Two 60T chainrings and what looks like two teeny (10T?) sprockets?

PrinceJohn

To much cheating going on there for me. Getting a tow, drafting etc…

wwaswas

from wikipedia;

Bruce Bursford 1996
    334.6 km/h (207.9 mph)

Pedaling on a bicycle treadmill (rollers) after being “towed” to 100 mph, on a custom made £1,000,000 bicycle

207mph on rollers? Did he take off?

for those worried that a tow is cheating all the categories are covered here although most of the non-assist ones use faired recumbents;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_records

atlaz
    Free Member

Bursford’s bike:

superleggero
    Free Member

Re Bursford’s bike pic above why does it need to be so ‘aero’ when he’s on rollers and not moving through the air?

Have I missed something, or was the bike originally made for a different purpose?

funkweasel
    Free Member

What’s the fastest speed cycling “properly”, I wonder?
    I.e. from a standing start, nothing to block the air, all self-propelled, on flat (not downhill).
    I think that would be a proper achievement if you were to set a new WR there.

Not on a recumbent bike either.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A million quids!? Fool.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    greyspoke
    Free Member

Are there any technical regulations for the pacing vehicle? One could design a complex fairing that created tailwind around the bike, such that the vehicle towed the bike along. In which case, the record would be mainly about vehicle design. I imagine a rule along the lines of “daylight between the rear of the vehicle and the front of the bike” might well exist. But careful aerodynamic design might still result in a useful forward flow around the bike.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘UR GRING IZ….HOLYCRAPOLA WUD U LUKKATTIT!’ is closed to new replies.