Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Ur boy iz Saracen
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I did this on a twins thread, but I met a twin brother and sister once in Manchester called Oscar and Oscarina.

hora
    Free Member

Did you offer them a bi-twinfest with you?

franksinatra

Didn’t know whineycockbag was the name of disciple?

Just spluttered tea over my keyboard. Now trying to suppress giggles in a busy, quiet office.

unklehomered
    Free Member

So you’re saying I shouldn’t call my son Commencal?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sick of the usual British-bland disciples names

It’s hardly a British thing. Every country of Christian background is full of them, albeit expressed in the local language. As ours are.

I briefly worked with a Cain.

If you think bonkers names are a new thing, don’t. There are some incredible things in old censuses. I’ve got a book of them.

Banana Bill Shaw (1919-2003)
    Charlotte **** (1799-1870)
    Fanny Felcher (b. 1874)
    Willy McBum (b. 1870)
    Eliza Boobies (married in 1861 in Tiverton)
    Earwacker Deadman (b. 1849)
    Thomas Vegetable (b. 1825)

But for all you people who think you’re being original:

Mabel Helmingham Ethel Huntingtower Beatrice Blazonberrie Evangeline Vise de Lou de Orellana Plantagenet Saxon Toedmag Tollemache-Tollemache (1872-1955)

yunki
    Free Member

Friends of mine had a dog called Chloe which was knocked down and killed. Several years later they had a daughter which they also christened Chloe, which I’ve always thought very odd.

I had a wee Staffy called Piggy **** Face, but I had her put down when my kids were born as she was a proper little daddies girl and would have been dead jealous..

I’ve named all my kids Piggy **** Face in her memory

hora
    Free Member

So you’re saying I shouldn’t call my son Commencal?

My sons middlename is Fox. No I don’t own Fox forks or praise them. I like the name.

Will he get beaten up at school? Having seen him/how he interacts so far with other children he aint no pushover. 😆

yunki
    Free Member

Will he get beaten up at school? Having seen him/how he interacts so far with other children he aint no pushover.

this is a bit of an issue with me at the moment..

My lads are 3 and 1.. I’m trying to raise them to be kind and gentle and intelligent, but it seems that every other dad with kids around the same age is raising their kids to be tough enough to resist bullying.. resulting in a peer group of disruptive and aggressive boys which are going to make school a bit of a farce..
    all the teacher’s time will be taken up with behaviour management leaving naff all time for education..

DezB
    Free Member

Hasn’t it always been a mixture of kids like that, yunki? I’m sure its not “every other” dad.

zokes
    Free Member

She wasn’t from Lewis, Outer Hebrides, by any chance was she? Possibly an associate of

[SNIP]

Emily Big Tits (you know, she’s got reeeeally biiiiig tits)

So that’s where my ex ended up…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im inclined to agree with dezb. I dont want my son to be agressive (he’s not), but some kids are naturally like that, its down to the parents (and to a lesser extent teachers) to tame that from the more boistrous ones.

jruk
    Free Member

How about Cam’ron – I kid ye not.

yunki
    Free Member

Hasn’t it always been a mixture of kids like that, yunki? I’m sure its not “every other” dad.

you’re probably right.. I’m just fretting cos mine’s such a big wuss.. 😀

thx1138
    Free Member

Most of the names mentioned aren’t actually ‘weird’ or ‘funny’ at all; just that some people are obviously rather ignorant of other cultures. I can’t believe someone might find ‘Thor’ at all strange; have you no knowledge of a culture which played a major part in shaping British culture? Thor is a very popular name in a country just over the North Sea. As are other ‘howlers’ such as Odd and Bent.

There appears to be a resurgence in old Jewish biblical names amongst middle class jews here in North London. Jewish names were substituted for more ‘acceptable’ British ones by Jews fleeing persecution in Europe and not wanting to stand out in Britain, where anti-Semitism was still quite widespread. So now we’ve got Noah, Solomon, Amos, Jacob, Seth, Aaron, Ezekiel, Edith, Leah, Shifra, Yona and others, amongst our friend’s children. Many of those names were once popular in Britain, alongside other traditional Jewish favourites such as Peter, Paul, Michael, David, Mark, Benjamin, Rachel, Sharon, Sarah, Helen, Ruth, Judith etc etc.

Good to see people experimenting with names, makes life more interesting. Shows what a wonderfully diverse society we live in.

JoeG
    Free Member

I was good friends with twin brothers when I was in college called Carl and Carlos.

We often referred to them as Los and Nolos! 😀

footflaps

I noticed that a lot of Africans and Chinese give themselves western names, to make life easier for Westerners. There’s a chap in our Nigerian office who calls himself Divine, which always makes me smile as I can’t but help think of the Drag Queen by the same name:

maccruiskeen

Banana Bill Shaw (1919-2003)
    Charlotte **** (1799-1870)
    Fanny Felcher (b. 1874)
    Willy McBum (b. 1870)
    Eliza Boobies (married in 1861 in Tiverton)
    Earwacker Deadman (b. 1849)
    Thomas Vegetable (b. 1825)

But for all you people who think you’re being original:

From mine and Ms Maccruiskeens family trees in the late 1800s and early 1900s: Booster Breckenridge, Spoof MacSkimmings and Bluey Green and several genrations of guys with Fleetwood as a first name.

I mentioned on another thread if you’re going to give your baby a fancy conversation-peice name stop for moment and consider how you’ll feel about having to yell it in a supermarket in three years time when they’re having a toddler tantrum.

In Costco this morning “Javelin! Javelin! put that down! Javelin! Are you listening to me? put it…. Javelin! Javelin! I’m only going to say this onc….. put it……. Javalin!. Right I’m walking away………… Javelin!” repeat to fade.

That aside though, I’m working with a bunch of school kids just now, and while non have got any wacky names the interesting thing is out of 40 of them there are no two share who share the same name, where as when I was that age we only had about half a dozen names the share between the lot of us. The girls were all called Julie, Joanne or Nichola, boys were called Andrew or Stephen (or perhaps for variety Steven) There was one group of friends who all sat on the same table and they were all called Andrew.

hora
    Free Member

Tonight I actually shouted stop there/put that down/get here now but not once his name. Maybe these folk have a misplaced pride in the childs name.

My last dog was called bingo. My next will be called Elvis.

Imagine stood on my own in a quiet park shouting Elvis!

maccruiskeen

Used to know a guy with a dog called ‘Knackers’

yunki
    Free Member

we named our dog ‘Piggy’ because we used to exercise her in the grounds of the police station across the road.. 😳

stavromuller
    Free Member

I used to go out with a girl called Gill Ingham, always thought her parents were Kents

Northwind

Today I received an application from a K Hunt.

aracer
    Free Member

If I had a dog I’d call it Fenton.

bwaarp
    Free Member

an ex of mine was called “Fuchsia”…….she always wore a lot of flowery orange dresses so we used to say “the Fuchsia’s bright, the Fuchsia’s orange”.

Having said that a mate of mine named his baby Algernon….proper name that.

Montgomery….there’s another proper name….might call my son that although I would be highly tempted to name my daughter Lyra after the Northern Lights character – childhood book that I read dozens of times and all that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Today I received an application from a K Hunt

I know his brother Michael

Allways corrected to Michael if you call him Mike

bigant

When my wife went to register our son she overheard the woman in front spelling out her sons name, (imagine a thick manc accent) …. “It’s jackson spelled J-A-X-X-O-N”

The registrar was quite relieved that ours was called Ben (infantile diminutive I know but whatever) although she did ask to confirm the spelling.

Don’t understand how people come up with these stupid names, we couldn’t manage to think of second names for either of ours so they are A Smith and B Smith.

labsey
    Free Member

Been threatening to name the first born D’Brickashaw. Chances are we’ll go with James or something like that though.

Northwind

I wouldn’t mind a more interesting name- in 1978 about 90% of all boys born in edinburgh were called Andrew 🙁 What I wouldn’t give to be called Thor, or Diesel. Though admittedly it’d probably have reduced my chances of making it through school alive.

JRTG
    Free Member

In hospital this week as my wife has just given birth, there was a newborn called, wait for it….

Kacper……

We think its some odd spelling of Casper?

RobHilton
    Free Member

We think its some odd Polish spelling of Casper?

user-removed
    Free Member

In the Cyrillic alphabet, ‘C’ is indeed an ‘S’ sound. But it would read more like Kacnep in English.

My dog is called Kasper, incidentally…

hora
    Free Member

Northwind same with me- ‘Mark’.

Still it could have been Derek or Mohammed.

I might change my name to Strava. Surname !

JoeG
    Free Member

Someone that I know recently named his son first name North and middle name William. I can’t say that I’ve ever met anyone named after a compass direction before…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I live in a small rural town in Devon in which there are not one but two young chaps called Merlin. Make of that what you will…

I’ll wager that’s Totnes. Weird bunch of hippies.

wallop

Did anyone see One Born Every Minute the other night? No, of course you didn’t.

One young girl there have her son the Irish name of Kale. Baby Kale. 😆

uphillcursing
    Free Member

If either of mine were girls she would have been named Chlamydia.

Might have kept the boys away if nothing else.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ll wager that’s Totnes. Weird bunch of hippies.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My ex’s sister’s cat was called Blackie – and she moved to a more ethnically diverse area of the country. Not sure if they survived.

I accidentally named my friend’s son Corey, after both Haim and Feldman.

Thread resurrection.
    Went a to a swimming contest with Mrs MTG and her daughter last night.
    A lot of the kids had their names alongside their club name on their shirts.
    I found it reassuring to see so many normal names.

It’s almost as if being the sort of parent who gives your kid a stupid name, and being the sort of parent who makes a bit of an effort by supporting your kid to take part in sport, are mutually exclusive.

Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Ur boy iz Saracen’ is closed to new replies.