Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • UPVC windows don't seal when shut any more
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I think our house must’ve shifted or something, don’t remember it being quite so bad when we moved in. There’s a small gap on some where the rubber seal doesn’t quite touch the window, and there’s no apparently means of adjusting the hinges like you get on kitchen cupboard doors and such.

Any ideas?

wwaswas

if you measure the diagonals on the window frame (the bit that opens) are they both the same?

it’s possible to pack the glass panel out to correct any sag in the frame due to glass weight – you need to remove the plastic trim strips to do it but there’s several online guides.

Saccades
    Free Member

Sometimes the hinges warp a bit too (someone clumsy when closing) – can generally be replaced cheap enough – only difficulty is replacing upper story ones if you don’t like heights.

IA

No adjustment inside the frame when you open the window? Some of them adjust in there (sure youtube has videos…)

BigJohn

Either the frame has twisted, the glazed unit has or the window hinge mechanisms are bent. If it’s the frame, it’s not an impossible job to dig out the plaster or mortar and/or pvc strips and then re-seat using some frame fixings and packing pieces. If it’s the hinges, get new ones. If it’s the opener, then go to your local branch of National Plastics and order a whole new unit. A half day job for a competent DIYer.

molgrips
    Free Member

No adjustment inside the frame no – I was expecting to be able to adjust the hinge position or the latch position – but no.

The adjustment required is front to back – the bottom hinge needs to come in slightly – not up or down.

It seems to be the case on several of the doors and windows – the house is definitely settling because there are a few cracks and the plasterboard tape in the corners of the rooms is rumpling a bit.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Sounds like the sealed units were not packed (heel and toe) properly and the frame has dropped on the handle side, this stops the locator on the lower hinge properly engaging hence the gap.
    it is not uncommon for the sealed units to be incorrectly (roughly) installed, usually the fitters are on a price and will fit it as quickly as they can get away with.
    Just my opinion. 🙂

crofts2007
    Free Member
    sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a bodge but in the short term you could stick some P seal to the inside of the [opening] window frame so that it met with the existing seal when the window is closed. Not ideal but would help in the short term.
    I’ve got a window that’s doing the same thing except there’s no sign of settlement at all.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

i think the op is suggesting that the casement is not pulling up to the d/proof strip – not that it has dropped out of square ?

is the hinge set in a channel ? if not can you not unscrew it and reposition it a couple of mm in to close the gap ?

molgrips
    Free Member

The hinges are just screwed into the pvc – there’s no adjuster.

It’s nothing to do with the weight of the windows – it’s not dropped due to gravity – the window is too far away from the frame (in the direction outwards from the room) when closed.

Apparently not a normal thing.. so time to get bodging.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I had this with an upstairs window last year – bottom of hinge has a little wedge type thing that should pull the window into the frame.
    I bought two new hinges, fitted and good to go in about 30 minutes, all fine since.

molgrips
    Free Member

I found the wedges. They are not adjustable in any way though – no slots or anything.

But perhaps I could find some slotted ones.. hmm..

hammyuk
    Free Member

ironmongerydirect.com – really common for the locating wedge on the heel of the hinge to give out and whilst it looks ok, it wont pull the hinge corner into place so giving you the problem you have.
    Hinges are really cheep on that link.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

As hammy says, don’t waste any more time, just order hinges!
    I bought slightly longer/beefier than old ones, will need to drill new holes – measure twice, drill once….
    As mine was an upstairs window, I removed glazing from inside, made it much lighter and easier to handle on my own.

footflaps

Our bathroom window is like this, the top right hand corner has a 5mm gap when closed. It’s on a list of DIY jobs I’ll never get round to…

hammyuk
    Free Member

That’ll be the little plastic wedge on the rear of the hinge…..

chickenman

Top hung or tilt + turn inward opening? If the former with cantilever hinges; replace them.
    If tilt + turn, spray everything inc rubber with silicone dry lube (wipe off dirty excess).If still binding, the height of the window can be adjusted with an Allen key in the top of the bottom pivot point.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not adding much to the debate other than to say in my experience the seal quality of UPVC windows deteriorates quite markedly over time. I don’t know whether it’s hinges or warping of the plastic or something else but they don’t seem to age well

CaptainSlow

How old are they? Could be worn hinges. Try a new set from screwfix.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘UPVC windows don't seal when shut any more’ is closed to new replies.