Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • uPVC windows – are there any decent companies out there?
  • cb

Ones that might leave the sales bull outside – can’t stand that kind of patter! Just want quality installation and a good price. Based in north west if that helps.

Cheers

cb

anyone??

pedalhead
    Free Member

The only advice I’ve got it to shop around a LOT. We had 20+ windows & doors fitted in our last house & the quotes ranged from £3k to £10k.

sam_underhill

We used an independent fitter who source the windows from 7 day windows. They are uPvc, what more can you say. I prefer the look of wooden frames but that means a lot more money and maintenance.

http://www.7-day.co.uk/

I’m sure if you call your nearest depot they will be able to put you in touch with a local fitter.

This option cost us thousands less than the big hitters.

donsimon
    Free Member

It might be worth asking on this forum.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Orrell windows in Wigan are good.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Double post.

TooTall
    Free Member

Find a local one with FENSA registration. The company owner did the estimate, price fixed for 6 months, thousands cheaper than national firm when I did it.

Mugboo

Mark at Tong Windows in Bradford is a nice fella. I’ve known him years.

Tell him Jason (his Barber) sent you.

01274 681600

elzorillo
    Free Member

I’ve used safestyle a few times and never had a problem.

Mugboo

Forgot to add, small company who manufacture and fit 🙂

RustyMac

I just got some repair work done on my windows and the quotes varied massively. In the end a local company quoted a price for replacement of all the glass and renewing the beads on wooden windows that was cheaper than a few of the big name companies were for simply renewing the beads. It certainly paid divedends for me asking about and calling a number of people for quotes.

mrmo
    Free Member

I worked in sales for a door manufacturer, so for info, this is 12months ago but prices won’t have changed that much i suspect.

An unglazed composite front door will set you back c£500 to buy, it will take no more than a few hours to fit. Windows aren’t that expensive and aren’t that hard to fit either. I priced for myself a composite front door with top light and two glass panels and that is less than a £1000.

Yes the labour has a price as does having all the kit, but when you talk to someone and they quote 5 figures bear in mind how much the items actually cost.

Also in my experience there are alot of cowboys out there, and i mean ALOT!

carlos
    Free Member

East Cheshire Glass in Macclesfield.

Ask for Steve 01625 611109. We use them a lot and they also did my own house. Very reasonable prices, clean and tidy, FENSA registered, Local smallish company, Rehau profiles if that matters.

Oh and the North West is quite large so maybe you could narrow the area a little?? Just a thought. 😉

Carl

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve used safestyle a few times and never had a problem.

YOU BUY ONE YOU GET ONE FREE I SAID YOU BUY ONE YOU GET ONE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

konagirl
    Free Member

We went with these guys in Liverpool, if thats nearby. No sales pitch, just clear prices. We had 3 upstairs windows and new front door for about £1,600 which seemed reasonable for Rehau A rated. You can also just look for fitters of certain window frames, e.g. Rehau suppliers / fitters.

cb

Thanks all

Carlos – I’m in Macc!

tony24
    Free Member

ive seen safe styles prices ive fitted double glazing for professionally for 7 years now and i can tell you they are overpriced for the quality to get.

Even the cheapest of the cheap frames come with A* rating now just because there rated at A* for heat keeping dont mean there quality is any good !

stumpyjon

Yep as above there’s a lot of variability in frame quality and for that matter the glass that is fitted. In fact the glass is the key component now in how well a window performs so top end glass with appropriate coatings is important although not obviously visible. Hardware quality can vary a lot as well. The energy rating system is cack as well, government initiative which no one in the industry is very interested in. No windows are properly A rated as they rely on solar gain to achieve this which you won’t get with north facing windows. When I was involved with windows last year the architects were all interested in the U values, lower being better, below 1.6 is OK, to get below 1 you’re talking triple glazing.

Best bet is a local installer with good feedback.

Ask questions about which profile supplier the use (e.g. Spectus, Rehau, System3 etc.) will make them take you more seriously.

donsimon
    Free Member

Even the cheapest of the cheap frames come with A* rating now just because there rated at A* for heat keeping dont mean there quality is any good !

Doesn’t the A* rating simply relate to the material and certain design qualities?
    So unless there is a cold bridge, all uPVC should have the same rating and it has no bearing whatsoever on quality.

convert

2 techniques I’ve used when having to deal with companies that have these toe curling sales techniques.

1. Arrange a time for them to visit but have all the companies come at the same time so they overlap. Instruct them to have a walk around and take measurements and that you will expect their quotation in writing by post and you have no time for the “patter”.

2. If they are coming one at a time explain to them at your front door you will only except them into your house if they keep the appointment to 30mins max; that they only have one opportunity to give you a price; that any attempt to provide a quotation with a life less than 30 days will be rejected. Be prepared to firmly show them the door if they break any of your house rules.

I’ve used both these techniques with success and I’ve ejected sales people and refused to deal with companies for breaking my rules. It’s a buyers market and there are plenty more companies to deal with. If they are an honest up front company they seem to have no problem with it and if they walk away you didn’t want to use them in the first place. My experience is that the smaller local firms seem less bullshit orientated and locked into a regimented sales patter.

jp-t853

NOVA are a manufacturer in the North West they sell to window fitters, I have met a lot of them and they are good blokes (my Dad is one in Cumbria) ask them who covers your area.

mrmo
    Free Member

Doesn’t the A* rating simply relate to the material and certain design qualities?
    So unless there is a cold bridge, all uPVC should have the same rating and it has no bearing whatsoever on quality.

The frames all come from a few manufacturers, Rehau, Duraflex etc, they are shipped as lengths of uPVC which is then cut and bonded by the window companies, this is where it can start to go wrong. Then if you get crap fitters on site who bodge the job, frames get twisted, gaps left etc.

As an aside i found that woodgrains are more likely to go wrong and need remedial work, basically if the sun gets on them they can crack. Something to consider, particularly for half panels and doors where you have big panels. On a south facing aspect i would suggest sticking to a white frame. and a pale door.

fubar
    Free Member

these might be worth a chat…
    http://www.newlookwindows.com/index2.html

carlos
    Free Member

cb – Member
    Thanks all

Carlos – I’m in Macc!

🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘uPVC windows – are there any decent companies out there?’ is closed to new replies.