Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Upto date tap list for sdw
  • alansd1980

Would anyone have an upto date list of taps of the South Downs way? Looking on the bike downs site but that seems to be about 3 years old. Going to try and to a solo run on a few weeks without a camelbak so am reliant on working taps.

Any other tips would be most welcome

wwaswas

try this leaflet;

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/sd_way_drinking_water_2013.pdf

there’s an email address you could use to check it’s current.

c_klein87

I can vouch for the taps on the bikedowns website are working as I used them on Friday, apart from the tap at the church near alfriston, how many bottles would you take? as its around 3hrs to the first tape from winchester

richardthird

Buy the Harveys map, it’s great for nav and has the taps marked on there.

SiS do a 1l bottle. I had some energy drink powder portioned up into ziploc bags for that bottle, and single leccy tabs in a 600ml one. Eat lots too, iirc its 9-10kcals burned in a day.

Endure the 1st half, enjoy the 2nd half the views and climbs just get ‘better’ (assuming you’re riding Winch to Eastb)

alansd1980

Two bottles, about 1.5 litres so thirty miles should be ok.
    Will buy the map as it will go in the back pocket. Small saddle bag with couple if tubes and patches in case tubeless comes a cropper.

Maybe a dozen gels, some bars and something salty when I overdo the sweet stuff.

Have done similar distance before but slightly less elevation as part of a group. Hopefully going solo should speed things along.

Do people doing it in the height of summer take proper lights or just a small helmet mount in case it goes horribly wrong.
    Will be getting into Winchester 7.30 ish so even if it takes 14 hours I should still be done before “proper” nightfall

jekkyl

pretty sure there’s an app available that tells you where fresh sources are throughout the UK.

richardthird

Take a small light. Some of the last climbs and descents are rough and through trees so will be getting dark by 8.

12 gels? Stronger stomach than mine which was groaning after 3!

On arrival in EB, carry on along the seafront about a mile (downhill) to a corner 100m before the pier where a sea view chippy awaits you. Turn left off the seafront here to get to the train station.

alansd1980

Rode to eastbourne from surrey a couple of years back and found a chippie and the off license for train home refreshments.
    Can almost taste them already! Hopefully this dry spell will continue. Not ridden the southdowns in the wet but dont think it would be much fun.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Upto date tap list for sdw’ is closed to new replies.