Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Upsweep, Back sweep, 780mm, BUT Zero rise?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

first off, i’m just being obsessive, but does anyone know of a bar like this? let’s say 9 deg up, 5 deg back, or similar usual numbers, but no actual rise section?

i do have one at the mo, a gravity gap, with 10 up, 4 back and zero rise, but it’s 740mm and i’m feeling the need for something longer.

a small say 10 or 12mm rise is alright, superstar oens like this on another bike ok, but they’re out of stock and i’m still searching for the grail…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Time for me to be stupid:

How, if it has an up sweep, can it have zero rise? unless it has a raised clamp section then curves down before sweeping back up in a vaguely W shaped arrangement?

nixie

Up sweep is the angle over the length of the bar (from centre to end) which I think is to position the bar in a comfortable place for your hands. Rise is a pronounced step either side of the clamp area designed to lift the bar above its clamping height.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks nixie.

don’t see any upsweep on that atlas bar benpinnick?
    possibly a bit overkill for me too, but worht a look thanks

momo

10mm rise Nukeproof warhead, near enough look flat. A little longer than you’ve requested at 800mm though easily cut down. I picked mine up for £30 from a shop on eBay.

LAT

Spank do 5mm rise bars that are flat with an offset bulge. Not sure how wide they go.

Northwind

Crank Bros Cobalt 11- 8mm rise, and I think 9 degrees up and back. Very very soft though, I wouldn’t put them on a hard-use bike (but they really take the sting out of a rigid…)

Renthal do a flat 780mm with 5 up and 7 back.

jabbi
    Free Member

On a flat bar you get the upsweep by rotating the bar forward in the stem, this does lessen the backsweep a bit though.

benpinnick

What Jabbi said. If theres no rise then there’s no real point at which to measure up/backsweep against (other than an arbitrary mark on the bar), so its just a ‘bend’. How much upsweep vs back you get is a factor of the rotation.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

sure, but i like the combination between the 9 and the 5, or whatever it is. whether that adds up to a combined sweep which i could achieve with say a simple 14 deg bend and the right rotation, i’m not sure.
    i think there are still 2 ‘bends’ going on and it doesn’t amount to the same thing, but might be near enough for me.
    i’m not going to buy lots of different bars to find out though…

PJay
    Free Member

Spank do 5mm rise bars that are flat with an offset bulge. Not sure how wide they go

I’ve got a 5mm rise (near enough flat) Spank Oozy bar (cut down to under 700mm) and it’s a really nice bar; the Oozy bars are available at 760mm. There are various other models upto 800mm (although not all are available in 5mm rise versions); all appear to be reduced at CRC!.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

They do a 780mm version of your current bar…. Well 777mm technically.

Gravity Light 777 aluminium or FSA Gravity Light which are aluminium with a carbon wrap. I actually have a spare unused pair of the carbon wrapped ones I’d be willing to part with, £30 posted?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Syntace do a flat bar with 12deg sweep. You could rotate that upwards to get something close. Not sure if they are 780 though … 760 seems to spring to mind.

shifter
    Free Member

I have a FSA Gravity Lite and I love it.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

shit so they do!
    i looked on their site the other day and couldn’t see one.
    thanks doug

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i too love my gravity lite. alu wrapped in carbon.
    the gravity flat 777mmis ally only. shame. but looks loke it’ll do otherwise.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

As above, got a spare pair of 777mm carbon wrapped ones if you’re interested.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Upsweep, Back sweep, 780mm, BUT Zero rise?’ is closed to new replies.