Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Upright vacuum cleaner recommendations
  • geoffj

Yes I know it’s dull, but worth a punt.
    The 15 year old dyson is on its way out – possibly serviceable (new motor required), but I thought I’d consider other options.
    I’m not convinced by Miele or a Henry – what else is worth looking at?

Ta

russ295
    Free Member

Miele for us. Had a dyson. The vacuum user wasn’t impressed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What about another Dyson? Our DC04 is still going strong despite us using and abusing it over the 12yrs or so we’ve had it. Its a heavy beast alright, but works better than any other cleaner i’ve had a go at. I think when it does finally give up i’ll just head straight for its equivalent without consideration of anything else. I just think that when you find a product you’re impressed with the best way to reward that manufacturer is to be a repeat customer. I dread to think how many bags I would have bought if i’d have bought another brand of cleaner at the time that needed bags.

sweepy
    Free Member

I got a sebo x4 a few months ago and its the best vacuum ive ever had by a country mile.
    I try to think of it as a power tool so I feel less like a saddo for having a good hoover 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Sebo – no pretty ( cheap ) plastic pieces, but they are good hoovers.

STATO
    Free Member

Miele tag along.

Ive (or the SO has) recently spent nearly £300 on a Dyson upright and its quite frankly, rubbish.

It cleans very well the bits it can get to, everywhere else is missed or a pain in the faff to get at. It leaves an inch strip against the skirting boards not cleaned (wooden floor so visible), you cant ‘scrub’ fluff or dirt off a rug as the head is connected to the handle via the ball thing, instead relying on suction alone, which does not work with dried on mud. The dismountable hose is a faff to remove and use, due to its lovely auto retract/coil design your constantly fighting against it, which you have to do a lot because otherwise youve still got dirt against the skirting.

Parent have a 5yr old Miele, far far better. None of the issue above, tho as a tag-along it does bump into furniture as you move around, which some people hate for some reason.

northernmatt

In the true STW spirit of recommending what’s have get a Sebo X4. Looks cheap, isn’t cheap, works brilliantly.

Had a Dyson before that which was nowhere near as good.

alanl
    Free Member

The Argos Dyson lookalike at £40 is exceptional value.
    CBA to google it, but 3 people I knwo bought one and reckon they’re great.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Miele defo. Our Border Collies seem to molt in summer and it sucks up the constant hair all the time. It gets used brutally sucking up Hay thats fallen out of the chinchilla cage also. Still going strong. Had a Vax Previously and that was good and also a Dyson not as good.

Ifrider
    Free Member

Dyson again for me here, think they’re great and swapped numerous components on mine since having it in 2004. Still going strong now and sucks better than the mrs after a bottle of Chardonnay 🙂

woodsie
    Free Member

yeah…. dont but a VAX…… even for a penny + a girl for the night….still say NO NO NO they are crap

vondally
    Free Member

sebo, as above looks cheap but isn’t works brilliantly

cranberry
    Free Member

… and swapped numerous components on mine since having it in 2004.

Not that great then, if you need to keep repairing it/replacing parts.

Woody
    Free Member

The Argos Dyson lookalike at £40 is exceptional value.
    CBA to google it, but 3 people I knwo bought one and reckon they’re great.

Bought one last month and despite it looking like a kids toy,it works really well. I got the ‘pet hair’ version and at 1/5 the cost of a Dyson (I’ve had 3) it’s a bargain!

tang
    Free Member

Sebo. looks awful, but is brilliant. My local vac guy has all parts if needed and loves them.

cbike
    Free Member

Oreck for the weight weenies. Mine is 20 years old and eats dysons and sebos for breakfast and you never need to clean a filter.

wiggles
    Free Member

Not a vax, I’ve had mine for 6 months and had to change the brush belt at least 8 times…

geoffj

Thanks folks. I’ll have a look. Those sebo sure are ugly though!

shotsaway
    Free Member

I am a recent convert (January this year) but when looking at vacuum cleaners there is no competition. Get a Sebo!

We bought a Dyson in 2000, which lasted for 10 years. When it died we replaced it in late 2010 or early 2011 with another. Big mistake, the quality is not was it used to be and within 6 months, I was convinced I’d bought a duff one. However friends and colleagues were also complaining about theirs. We continued to use this Dyson for 3 years but in the end we admitted defeat.

After speaking to a few friends, the only recommendation was Sebo. I was unaware but my mum and my MIL had one, as did a few of my friends. In the end and despite it being a brand, that I’d never heard of, I took the plunge and bought the Sebo X4. Eight months in, it is fantastic and in truth they aren’t much more expensive than Dyson’s!

lodious
    Free Member

We have had 3 Dysons + handheld, and apart from the DC01, they have been rubbish. The amount of times I have to take them to bits to get it sucking properly is ridiculous. A classic example of a brand marketing something as well designed, rather than designing it well.

The tools from the first two Dysons don’t work in the newer vacuums either…they are fractionally different in size :-(.

I think the whole bagless thing is cack too, especially if in the case of the DC50 you have to empty the cylinder twice per room. We end up putting it a bag anyway, otherwise every time you open the wheelie bin it all blows out.

Next cleaner will be Sebo.

woffle
    Free Member

Sebo X4 here. Been through 1.5 house refurbs, 2 kids from birth to 9 years old and a mucky dog and still going strong (if looking a bit battered)

Local hoover/vac (whatever the generic term is) used them himself and recommended it to us through gritted teeth – the bulk of his business comes from repairing and replacing Dyson bits 🙂

spooky_b329

Not a Vax seconded! (thirded?)

We had a cylinder one which was a huge disaster from start to end, when looking for a replacement I was avoiding Vax but got sucked in as it had all the major selling points, lots of watts, long hoses, super long flex so I can do the whole bungalow from one power point.

But the hoses constantly fall apart, the flex clip has broken, and you have to get your fingers in to clear all the fluff and hair out of the cyclone thing and it ends up billowing the contents across the drive as you try and empty it into the wheelie bin.

I bought a Karcher garage wet and dry vacuum recently and that is amazing, especially when the washing machine breaks down full of water and you realise you can just loosen the filter and let the water run onto the floor, and the vacuum sucks all the water in before it touches the floor 🙂

jeffl

Parents have had a sebo for 14 years now. Was looking a bit battered but still worked fine, so dropped it off at the warehouse, local to them so you may have to pay postage. Was returned after a complete overhaul looking like new. I’m pretty sure they paid less than the parts and labour would have cost.

Sucks great no issues cleaning on a mixed surface house, (wood, tiles and carpet) with a hairy visiting dog and 5 messy grandchildren.

geoffj

Just to update this thread, I’ve ended up with a BISSELL POWERGLIDE Lift Off Base 2177E from http://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/bissell-powerglide-lift-off-base-2177e

Looks like it was one of the non EU Spec (too powerful) models that they had to punt on.

Impressed with it so far and for £62 (thanks HDUK for the discount code) and a 5 year warranty, it’s hard to ignore.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Upright vacuum cleaner recommendations’ is closed to new replies.