Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Uprating a Samui Air Zound horn for MAX LOUDNESS!!!
  • dangriff
    Free Member

Has anyone done this?

I’ve taken mine apart, threaded the thin hose through tightly fitting high pressure fuel hose and connected to a 2 litre lemonade bottle rather than the 1/2 litre thing it comes with.

I’ve tested the lemondade bottle to 12 bar (1/2 litre one that it comes with is recommended to 5.5 bar only), so this comes in at double pressue and 8.7 times the air capacity. It’s definitely louder and lasts around 3-4 minutes of continuous horn sound.

Has anyone gone further? I’ve tested a lemonade bottle to destruction at 14 bar, but the violence of destruction in the resulting explosion has convinced me not to pump a bottle to that pressure and then have it positioned between my legs on the frame!!! I’m contemplating reinforcing a lemonade bottle with fibreglass or kevlar/carbon fibre around the middle, but would need to test one before I use it.

I’ve borrowed a noise meter from my father, so will be able to measure volume next time I test it.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

You must really hate ramblers.

dangriff
    Free Member

Nope, just half asleep drivers during the morning commute.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve tested a lemonade bottle to destruction at 14 bar, but the violence of destruction in the resulting explosion has convinced me not to pump a bottle to that pressure and then have it positioned between my legs on the frame!!!

😀 I’m glad I’m not your neighbour!

Quite fancy one of these to make dopey peds jump out of their skin.

I think a kevlar reinforced 3L White Lightning bottle at 30 bar should last you the commute and home. You can re-charge it a petrol station?

dangriff
    Free Member

I do have a 3 litre air bottle (breathing apparatus) that is rated at 209 bar (tried previously with a truck horn), but it was far too heavy and unstable to ride with.

thepurist

You can get a 0.1L 232 bar cylinder, more volume and pressure than your lemonade bottle without the weight of a 3L. Of course then you’d need some sort of regulator so as not to blow up your air horn, and something to re-fill it from – could get pricey.

holmes81
    Free Member

I was thinking about getting one of these, I wasn’t sure if it would be any good for the commute, from your post above people hear it, what about the car drivers though?

lipseal
    Free Member

You can get small nitrogen cylinder that hold 3000psi, but you will need a small cart to transport it.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Why don’t you buy a Salsa Fargo front fork for your bike and use both of the fork leg bottle cage bosses to have a double barrelled set up?

stuey
    Free Member

From my experience with science fair- water rockets 12 bar – will eventually fatigue a ‘pop’ bottle – gaffa tape it up well or maybe a sodastream bottle?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Uprating a Samui Air Zound horn for MAX LOUDNESS!!!’ is closed to new replies.