Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Uppy downy seat posts – experiences?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Tell me about these clever uppy-downy seat posts.

It would very much suit the kind of riding I do, but I've heard lots of general mumblings about unreliability and fiddliness.

Experiences?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I had a Joplin, only sold it 'cos it wouldn't fit my new frame.

Liked it, looked after it, worked well

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I've got a gravity dropper, not the pretties but very reliable. Got stuck down twice in 3 years and both times I fixed it in a couple of minutes. Used it in all kinds of uk shit weather, all year round. After 3 years it finally broke, snapped the bit off that holds the pin. I Emailed gravity dropper to buy the bit (they sell nearly every spare). The insisted I send it back for repair (cost me £13 to ship to the US). The completly rebuilt it, replaced all worn out bits and sent me it back like new, no cost. Best customer service I have ever had and nice guys to talk to.

I've spent a few pound on gear over the yers, but I really believe it was the best "gadget" I ever got and made the biggest difference to my downhill/jump riding. Use it way more that I thought I would.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MaryHinge
    Free Member

I'm a Gravity Dropper fan. I won't ride off road without it.

Simple and reliable and 27.2mm so should fit any frame with shims if necessary.

And their customer service is first class.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I find they don't offer enough drop to be worthwhile.

I'm also wholly unconvinced at the need to spend £200 more than a QR when it's not inconvenient unless you ride nonstop or your mates are mindblowingly impatient.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Had a Maverick till it broke the second time (seat clamp broke- twice), now on a KSi900 which went back under warranty just after I got it due to a manufacturing defect. Other than that its great, survived two large offs and winter muck no problem(just run a mudguard).

Mate's got one thats about 2 maybe 2.5 years old, heavily used and when he sent it for a service they replaced most of the internals for just the standard service fee and it was a quick turnaround as well.

I love my uppy downy posts, probably gonna get another i900 for my freeride rig(as I cannot wait for the rockshox jobbie)

mr_mills
    Free Member

I had 2 KS i900s which both went wrong in various ways and had to go back so I wouldn't have another of those until all their little problems have been sorted out.

Since then I've had a Joplin 3 and a Joplin 4 which have both been fine.

(It just so happens that the Joplin 3 is for sale if anyone wants it – only had a few months' use).

Northwind

Love my Gravity Dropper, riding without it now just seems daft. I'll happily put rigid forks on the Soul but I'd still have the dropper on. People talk about flow, and these things are all about flow, just ride along with the seat at the right height, all the time.

It's been rock solid reliable, I did break a seatclamp bolt but then, I've done that on standard posts as well. Might need new bushings soon from the feel of it but it's still fine for now and the bushings are cheap and easy to fit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Happy with my Joplin.

Plenty else go spend £200 on that makes zero difference to riding (see xtr etc) if you want to.

Hite rites work well but less so on modern frames (where the seat collar is separate)

EccentricEllis

I've an i900r. It's amazing. I use it more than i thought i would and it's just spot on for everything.
    I never used to adjust my saddle height at all. But now its up and down all the time.

I think as long as you service them (More than normal) they'll be amazing.

thatscold
    Free Member

I think I'm going to wait for this one.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Me wanty

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Yeah, I'd wait for the rockshox one, I really think a suspension company should get it right.
    Can you buy the speccy command post yet?

hitman
    Free Member

I900 – great

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another i900 user here. Needs "servicing" but that takes about five minutes. Superb piece of kit. Yes it has play in it, but I really don't notice it while in the saddle. Otherwise, superb.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

new convert to the Joplin.

Was concerned about the movement in them but to be honest you dont notice.

wonder how I lived without now!

However, if hite-rights come back I may have one!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Had a KS i900. Total carp. Not fit for purpose etc. Returned for refund and now waiting for rockshox version as they appear to understand how to make an effective seal.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

X2 i900's and couldn't fault em. Seat clamp not the best but nylock seemed to help once i had confirmed the optimum reach etc. Quite a few riders use them on our local trails and the i900 seem to be the most prefered, the play in the Joplin seems more noticible. Check out the Spesh Command post if you are looking at remote posts, 3 settings. I prefer my 'cockpit' uncluttered and rock with a lever version and it is great. i950 out now but at a big jump in price for 50g i went for the better value post that i could vouch for.

Check your seat post angle… my old Genius was quite difficult to depress due to the angle, i had to weight the saddle on the nose to get it down efficiently.

Northwind

The i900 was terrible for a while. Seems better now though. Seems pretty obvious they just launched a poorly tested product that wasn't fit for purpose but fair play to them, they seem to have come good finally. Half considering one for the Hemlock. Still hate the cable position though.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Had a gravity dropper for about a year now. It works and I like it..
    Wore off the anodising on a thomson quite quickly before and probably was starting on the inside of seattube too, so look on it as frame preservation also…

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks all – very useful as always.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have used the older Joplin with no issues at all. Just ordered a couple of the new Joplin 4 remote posts and will stick one on a demo bike to see how it goes!

timmys

Purchased an i900 last June and it developed scratches in the stantion within a few weeks (still worked fine though). Changed bike and needed a different seatpost size so bought another i900 in September and it has functioned perfectly though the winter with no servicing on my part. They definitely seemed to have improved.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I've got a Gravity Dropper too, 4" multi drop. It has made such a difference to my riding. As Northwind says, they are all about FLOW. I never ride a section now wishing that I'd lowered my saddle before hand so that I could really ride it hard rather than teetering down. I will never ride a mountain bike without one now.

I'm excited about Rockshox getting in on it, I think that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back and the point when we start to see everyone using droppers.

tracknicko
    Free Member

W@nk. had a joplin, new in the box. took it to france for a week, basically stopped working. needed constant maintanence or would be stuck up or down.

a full service would keep it going for a bout a week, then it would need another.

never moved enough to make any real difference. pretty poor IMO.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm with Spokescycles:

I'm also wholly unconvinced at the need to spend £200 more than a QR when it's not inconvenient unless you ride nonstop or your mates are mindblowingly impatient.

Northwind

Spokescycles wrote, "I'm also wholly unconvinced at the need to spend £200 more than a QR when it's not inconvenient unless you ride nonstop or your mates are mindblowingly impatient."

If you're just using them as a QR replacement then you're right, they're fairly pointless. Places like Glentress, frinstance, there's really only 1 place on the entire red trail where it's an advantage, because almost every section is either seat up or seat down- you just stop at the start.

But, go to Kirroughtree, as a nice benchmark, and do Talnotry Hill- it's a big climb followed by an immense descent/traverse, which is pedally in places and has some decent size rock features in others. You either need to compromise, or stop and start constantly, or have a dropper seatpost. Most people compromise of course. But that's where they stop doing the same job as a QR.

I think some people see them as some sort of "trail centre rider" accessory but I think the opposite's more true, they're a brilliant XC tool- just riding along, see something interesting, ride it, then just riding along again without so much as a pause. They're generally more use in the real world than they are at big-up-big-down trail centres.

supinerider
    Free Member

i900r. Only had it a few days but great so far. I only ride natural stuff, often lines or trails I'm unfamiliar with, so as Northwind says, it's useful to keep things flowing when you want to try something new.

Got mine from go cycle. Very fast and cheaper than anywhere else I could find in Europe – even after shipping. Highly recommended.

mildred

I had a Joplin remote – they're a brilliant idea and mine was very reliable, but for anything other than events such as the Mega they are a bit overkill. I bought mine specifically for the Mega and it was great, but for local trail riding I'd rather get used to my bike the way it is and not even have to think about the seat height.

SpokesCycles – Member
    I find they don't offer enough drop to be worthwhile.

I've just bought a KS i950 – I've wanted a post for a while and last weekends trip to Fort William spurred me into action. I initially wanted a Spesh Command post due to reportedly good sealing, however lack of availability, price, weight, 4" drop and 3 set positions saw me end up with the KS.

It has 5" of 'stop anywhere' travel and cost £179 (Spesh = £249). Reliability issues over the i900 have "reportedly" been solved with improved seals, bushes and keyways (to reduce side to side play). I've only used it for 2 days, but it performed faultlessly – admittedly most of the time dropped completely for Fort Bill Black & Red descents.

I'll buy the add on remote lever when they finally put it on the market, as reaching between your legs is a pain when moving on rough ground, but for me I can see it transforming my riding.

Stopping to fiddle with your QR is a right pain at the top and bottom of every descent, and yes – I do have mindblowingly impatient riding mates – 75% of whom already have dropper posts anyway.

flow
    Free Member

I haven't come across anything in the 13 years I have been riding that I have had to put my seat down for. Set your saddle at a decent height, get used to it, and save yourself £200 and half a kilo of unnecessary weight.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive a gravity dropper multi on my ht great bit of kit i really miss it when i ride my full sus

docrobster
    Free Member

Joplin 3 remote here. Got it (sans remote) off CRC for £100 at xmas. Added the remote lever for another £30 off wiggle. Has worked well but I have saved it for the dryer weather due to the stories of poor sealing etc. The knurled collar bit shook itself loose coming down the gap descent on saturday, but once screwed back up it worked fine.
    I find myself putting it up and down a couple of times most rides. As said above for the price it makes more difference than spending the same on say lighter wheels.
    Before I got it I did have a problem with the rear facing QR getting kacked up and then not being able to do it tight enough to prevent slippage. With this I can use an allen key clamp instead.
    Would like one for the hardtail as well but 27.2 post limits choice.

trout
    Free Member

I have been eyeing these up for a while now and seeing Smudge and Faffy useing them the other week made my mind up .
    but now gonna wait for the Rockshox one that looks ace , agree it could do with a bit of boing for the HT that would be the icing on the cake if it ever came out.

grantway
    Free Member

I have a Gravity dropper multi Classic after putting out a thread on here
    and have not looked back since. OK a good bit of cash but once its on you wont wish you never bought it, basic but brilliant.

Northwind

"and half a kilo of unnecessary weight."

Silly nonsense, unless you intend to replace it with no seatpost at all.

flow – Member
    I haven't come across anything in the 13 years I have been riding that I have had to put my seat down for. Set your saddle at a decent height, get used to it, and save yourself £200 and half a kilo of unnecessary weight.

Thank **** I haven't been riding your trails for the last 13 years.

What do you mean by "Set your saddle at a decent height, get used to it" anyway? Seems like a bit of an odd statement.

Pauly

Mmmmmm, Rockshox Reverb…

nickc

Glad I've got long legs.

But, go to Kirroughtree, as a nice benchmark,

Yep, been there, nothing I needed to put the seat post down for. let alone stop and put it up and down constantly.

snowpaul
    Free Member

Pointless. End of.

Recently rode cadair idris / snowdon last week – seat all the way up – maybe i AM JUST SLOW….

if it floats your boat then so be it….

paul

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Uppy downy seat posts – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.