Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Uppy-downy droppy posts – The definitive bestest one?
  • FuzzyWuzzy

I’m liking my KS Lev but still too early to say how reliable it is (it’s been fine on 3 rides so far, two of which were muddy…). The remote is very neat and was simple to install. I went with the Lev over the Reverb due to the numerous posts mentioning problems with the Reverb + I really didn’t want something else I might have to bleed. They’re still quite hard to get hold of, especially in the longer lengths, and not cheap either.

Mugboo

As someone who owns both, you really have to try both to understand why people choose the Reverb over the GD.

And bleeding it is a doddle, as is hose shortening if you follow the instructions carefully 🙂

Rockshox seem very good if it does go wrong.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why do so many people perfer remote levers over the lever under the saddle option?
    It seems to me the remote lever is the weak point on most systems. Surely its just as easy to lift the lever under the saddle isn’t it?
    Are Reverbs remote lever only?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bigyinn, my old one was a lever under the saddle jobby. There was nothing really wrong with that set up, but I just think the ease of being able to drop/raise while still having full control could be a real advantage.

Reverb still looks like winning….

Tracey

We are running 5 Specialized Command posts between us and have had no problems so far

trickydisco
    Free Member
    m_t_b
    Free Member

Joplin 4 has been with me for about 2.5 years and has been excellent, have to replace the brass plates every now again but they are a wear part and 2pure cust service is legendary. I covered the stanchion from word go with a neoprene chainstay protector if you get one that uses hydraulics this is a must. I think you can get them for a good price now as well.

IA

If you need a long post, and layback, then the command blacklite is basically the only one…

Luckily it seems decent. FWIW I find I use the “comfort inches” setting more than the full drop.

Cheezpleez

I’ve got two Joplins and a Reverb. One Joplin is a lever-under-the-saddle version and the others have remotes.

I didn’t see the point of the remote lever till I had it but I wouldn’t buy another post without a remote now.

Oh, and the Reverb is the dog’s genitals.

grum
    Free Member

Used to have a KS i900 – it fell apart completely. Got fixed under warranty but I sold it on straight away. Had a GD classic and now a turbo, no issues with either. And yes a remote one is way better.

Reverb looks great but I can do without something else that needs bleeding.

FuzzyWuzzy

Has anyone got a decent mudguard solution with a dropper post? What I need is:
    – Thin clamp so it can fit under the seat collar (not much post showing)
    – Fixed clamp but hinged (as in not the strap type as they don’t hold it securely enough IME but also not a clamp like the crud ones where you have to take the post out to get it off
    – Steep angle up of the arm from clamp to where mudguard attaches
    – Possibly a curved guard (starts curved at the seatpost side and flattens out towards the end)

The angle and the curve are to clear the rear wheel on a 140mm travel bike (prior to switching to a dropper post I had to clamp the guard fairly high up on the post otherwise it would bottom out on the tyre)

Surely there must be a growing market for such a thing given the weather and popularity of dropper posts. OK it will look naff but so does a muddy arse + camelbak and stopping mud hitting the dropper post can only be a good thing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anyone used the Giant one?

woody74

Used the Giant Contact Switch and initially impressed. A bit of wiggle has already started showing but the innards are super simple. It just has a lockable air spring, like the thing that holds the boot of your car open. The only problem I can see is that there is no way to service it and remove the rotational wiggle as it does not have replaceable keys like other posts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve not tried one but like the idea of the Fox DOSS, appart from the price. I’m forever pressing the button and trying to adjust the reverb a little bit at a time, having up, down a bit and down would be usefull.

Could it be hooked upto something that resembled a shifter so you could raise/lower it in ~1″ incraments? Not sure how much use 1″ from dropped would be, but I reckon I’d use Up, then a trail setting 1″ down, then a techy trail setting 1″ down again (for smooth is DH), then fully dropped (for “f*** off I’m not riding that, ohh s*** I’m comitted now” trails).

chives
    Free Member

@ FuzzyWuzzy – I asked the Crudcatcher guy about a mounting bracket to fit a 34.6 seat tube for just that reason (i.e. mount the crud guard under the seat clamp) and was surprised that they don’t do one.

The reply was something along the lines of ‘we just mount the (crud) bracket to the outer tube of the remote post.’

Which is great, unless your planning on having nowt other than the remote’s seal housing showing above your seat clamp.

I’m still undecided re the whole dropper post issue TBH, so it’s good to see peoples comments.

juan
    Free Member

but in reality how often does it happen?

Too much. Plus the hose on the seat post is far more exposed, specially, with the saddle down.

daveb
    Free Member

I have a Reverb, not tried any other post. Been running it for about 6 months and so far no issues at all. Drops when I push the lever, comes back up nice and smooth with another push – would highly recommend it.

igrf
    Free Member

+1 Reverb

and even better next season with the Stealth reverb with the cable routed inside inside the seat tube.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I think a Reverb would cope with the trails of Pimlico and Vauxhall.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 at Chunky!

Around town, I iz getting da radnezz on my Sturmey three speed beastie. 🙂

Oh, and one doesn’t like to go south of the Moat, you know.

ThePinkster

My Mk1 Reverb had ‘issues’ but since it’s been replaced with a 2012 version I’ve been extremely happy with it. Very smooth functioning and just works.

go on CFH, you know you want one.

timraven

I had a Joplin for 18 months, it was fine just needed a lot of servicing.

Went for a Reverb about 8 months ago and I just wipe the shaft (oo..er) after each ride, smoother and more controllable than the Joplin.

I really like the ability to just drop an inch, rather than the all or nothing idea on the GD.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, if Pinky has a Reverb we may as well just close this thread down now.

😉

timidwheeler

Reverb €199.90 at Probikeshop at the moment. Google says thats about £160.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

My Kronolog has been fab so far. Nice bit of kit, seems very simple, so can’t be much to go wrong.

They must be installed properly with free play in the cable, 5mm min.

Also make sure you have enough post sticking up, if you have a large frame and not much post sticking up then it might not go low enough for you, same as most droppers I suppose, something I hadn’t really thought about and luckily I have 10mm to spare!

wrecker
    Free Member

Has it broken yet?
    How about now?

StuE
    Free Member

Thomson have one in the works
    https://www.facebook.com/bikethomson

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Wrecker, stop being a dick.

Gribs

Giant Contact Switch owner here. It’s still working fine after 6 months use but there’s a little bit more play than when it was new. The main benefit for me was Giant’s warranty back up and the cost difference betweem a lbs supplied Reverb.

brianh
    Free Member

New Reverb working great for me – feels natural and just works 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Am I dreaming or someone is considering a kronolog
    HA HA HA HA HA HA
    Come one CFH it’s a GD end of thread.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker, stop being a dick.

You started it

brianh
    Free Member

Get the Reverb – cos you’re worth it

brianh
    Free Member

575 with Reverb fresh from One Planet Adventure 😉
    Denbighshire-20120630-00032 by brianhphotos2012, on Flickr

kanza
    Free Member

lol Thompson dropper coming? wicked, will be a avalanche of reverb’s on ebay.

sam_underhill

Just fitted a ks lev. Seems smooth, no lateral play and no silly cable loop when dropped. Looking forward to its maiden voyage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s a nice shiny Reverb waiting in my LBS at the moment.

Which is nice.

Thanks to one and all for a useful, informative and, given that it’s STW, remarkably argument free! thread!

ThePinkster

You won’t regret it.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

I have the Reverb and like it a lot. No trouble so far in 12months use.

Hibike.de seem the cheapest, about £190

Thanks for this theendisnigh.

I have just ordered one. it worked out £182 including postage.

By the time it gets here i’ll have about a month of messing about and getting used to it then it’s over to the alps for ten days. I can’t wait.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Reverb is awesome. I had to buy a new frame* to make it fit and don’t regret it one bit.

*which really needed new forks to do it justice
    and new cranks nearly as cheap as new chainrings
    the new bars were nice but a bit decadent though

Still, cost me a fair whack to be able to put my seat up and down with my thumb but I love it. Change my seat almost as much as my rear gears…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Uppy-downy droppy posts – The definitive bestest one?’ is closed to new replies.