Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Upper clothing for riding in heavy rain.
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Dyfi Enduro forecast is rather wet for Sunday.

I don’t own a waterproof & breathable jacket and don’t want to buy one as they’re expensive for a half decent one.

So, Do I but a £15 Millets waterproof, or layer up in thermals and final layer of Endura Pak a Jak?

Help me decide.

Ta.

PS: I do own waterproof shorts, so bum will be dry 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Although I have a nice breathable waterproof (Paramo) for other stuff, for MTBing I use a thin softshell most of the time and keep a tiny Altura Pocket Rocket in my pack for when it’s really raining hard or wet and cold or I’m out for hours in the wet. Not expensive and seems to do a good job. Probably wouldnt last all that long if you wore it for most autumn and winter rides, especially if you crash often, but to supplement a softshell in the winter or be used as the emergency outer later the rest of the time it’s great.

wwaswas

Personally I favour windproof over waterproof.

You’re going to get wet pretty much regardless, the key is to stay warm without steaming yourself.

nickc

I don’t own a waterproof & breathable jacket

don’t worry, neither does any one else. Truly waterproof jackets are boil in the bag.

Decide what’s most important to you and go with that, that might be “I want to be dry” then you’re going to find that you’ll probably sweat more, “I want to be warm” will probably mean accepting that you’ll not stay totally dry. layering certainly helps to keep warm, but you’ll probably sweat more.

momo

Another softshell user here, I have a cheapo pac a mac (£7.99 go outdoors) that I take out, only goes on if it’s really heavy.

I’ve had expensive jackets before, but I still sweat like mad inside them no matter how breathable they are!

Rubber_Buccaneer

layer up in thermals and final layer of Endura Pak a Jak

Gets my vote

I do own waterproof shorts, so bum will be dry

How long before the first cold trickle of water is running down your bum crack, I give you less than 60 minutes 🙂

I shall be wearing a Madison Flux Superlight Softshell….and probably just as soaked as everyone else. Dress to stay comfortable because I doubt you will stay dry

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Packable brolly for the standing about bits that way you only need to warm up fresh rain when youre pedalling

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can’t be arsed to carry a brolly so I’m going to stand very close to thestabiliser at the standing around bits. He shouldn’t be hard to find 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Heh, I won’t be there, probably be separating my offspring while they attempt to eviscerate one another in the screeching cacophony and carnage of a wet bank holiday rammed softplay centre.

benp1

As long as you’re warm it’s not too big a problem being wet. Make sure you have something to put on when you stop, otherwise you’ll get very cold!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Upper clothing for riding in heavy rain.’ is closed to new replies.