Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Upper body fitness
  • mountainman

Just getting back into riding after post op recovery from hernia op.

Been out for few rides in local woods and have identified a tidy 20 km route which includes some fire road climbs,and few good descents mostly single track .
    Plus some climbing up tracks which are a mix of tree roots n rocks n good old mud.

Been doing some bench press ups stretches.

Find that shoulders n upper back are acheing considerably today after doing a shorter road based ride last night .

Anybody recommend exercises,stretches to improve upper body fitness for a 52 year old ?

whitestone
    Free Member

If you’ve not worked particular muscle groups for a while they will ache for a day or two.

Stretching: get the Bob Anderson book. I came across it on a trip to the States in 1984 and it’s still as good today.

Exercises: do a search for “core exercises”, you’ll get pointed at things like “the plank”. These are a regular item in magazines’ fitness pages as well so not hard to come across them.

iainc

swimming

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

I find kettlebell work outs are pretty good, less focussed on the weight and more the technique and articulation of the joint/muscle.

Coyote
    Free Member

Concept 2 rowing machine.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Squat benchpress deadlift military press pullups

jambalaya
    Free Member

Press ups
    Chest raises inc ones with hands behind head and arms outstreched side ways
    Buy some cheap dumbells (one set of a light-medium weight)

Get in the habit of doing two sets per day. I’m 53 and when I get organized/motivated this makes a big difference, I’ve found muscle/strength loss really notable after any lay off/injury 🙁

dovebiker

Kettle bells probably give the best combo of strength and core strengthening – core is also where most people lose form, particularly the deep muscles that stabilise the pelvis leading to lower back pain. Also, don’t forget stretches and flexibility.

Lots of climbing in my youth, more recently kayak racing and riding a rigid bike has kept my upper-body strong. At 51 I can still knock-out 20 overhand grip pull-ups down the gym and mock the 20 year olds with their pumped-up biceps that can’t do half that 😉

jimmy

If nothing else, do press ups to failure 3 times a week.

akira

Lifting up a combination of seven and two year old boys regularly seems to help a bit. Otherwise maybe Pilates, strong core is always good.

LeeW

I’ve pretty much always done some gym work, mostly once per week focusing on good form in compound movements, Bench/shoulder press, squats, curls dips etc. But, I have found that good, quality core exercises give me more benefit for riding.

SaxonRider

I bought a £7 door frame-mounted chin-up bar to put up at home, and use it every day. My upper arms obviously benefit, but I’m pretty sure it is having a positive effect on my core muscles as well.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was recommended a load of core stuff involving a big inflatable ball, the type you see Gym bunnies sitting on and sort of bouncing up and down on looking stern faced, but you can plank with it holding up your feet and so sit ups on it and it’s really good. You need to make lots of small constant adjustments to hold your balance worked wonders for me.

Aristotle
    Free Member

You can do most of what you need without much/any special kit. Local playgrounds, benches and hand rails can be useful.

There are various types of:

Chinups,
    pullups,
    pressups,
    dips (using a bench or between 2 chair backs)
    bodyweight squats (2 leg or 1 leg)
    abdominal exercises
    etc, etc..

As others have said, strengthening the core/trunk is the most beneficial thing though
    -everything hangs off it.

The above exercises will also work the core muscles if done properly.

For extra weight, sandbags are fantastic. 50Kg of sand costs about 6 quid from B&Q, and much more beneficial/awkward to pick up and move around than a 50Kg barbell.

The internet is full of ideas.

The main thing is to do the exercises regularly and stick at it.
    I like to mix it up a bit.

Pilates is ok, but most classes are not hard, according to my wife
    -I suspect that most people don’t want their exercise classes to be too difficult.

Earl
    Free Member

kettle bell swings – don’t need to be flash. Full up a backpack with water bottles/cans/bricks and swing away.

mcnultycop

Squat
    Dead
    Shoulder press

Squat
    Bench
    Bent over row

Alternate.

bigjim

Lots of masturbation. I can only turn left though

funkrodent

The aching will be doms (delayed onset muscle soreness). Quite normal if you haven’t exercised for a while and charge back into it. T’internet is full of good workouts. My favourite exercise at the moment is as follows: get in the press up position with flat back and arms fully extended. Start running on the spot, bringing each knee in turn up towards your chest. Fluid movement, no bouncing, with the toes touching the ground between your arms. Keep it up for one minute, rest and repeat. Works your legs, arms, shoulders and back as well as your core muscles. And it’s cardiovascular as well. Three sets of that then press ups to failure

jambalaya
    Free Member

You need to make lots of small constant adjustments to hold your balance worked wonders for me.

This is actually very good for your balance and muscles, I have had a lot of rehab based on this and a physio told me for me (hyper extension – too bendy) this sort of thing was excellent. I have a wobble board for this

tmb467
    Free Member

For Kettlebells, This Dan John workout is ace

Warmup and workouts all in one guide – with some pics

renton
    Free Member

5×5 strong lifts and core.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I actually prefer lifting things other than barbells and dumbells if I am not using just body weight. Uneven, shifting loads can provide the body with more of a challenge for a given motion.

Work at this and become a hike-a-bike in the mountains monster 😉

Kettlebell are good, but you need a selection of weights. Not cheap.

Of course, if you want to get good at lifting heavy barbells then you need to train with them. 5×5 etc. You will need bars, plates and racks though.

There is something to be said for practicing natural movement, although it doesn’t need a course to learn how to crawl, balance, climb, throw, carry etc.

epicyclo

Get a singlespeed and just keep on riding.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Get a singlespeed and just keep on riding.

This was my first thought as it makes you strong like ox (unless you walk the climbs :mrgreen: ). But after a hernia??!

The reality is that you’ll develop the muscles to do any specific exercise by doing that exercise.

But core work is good 🙂

Aristotle
    Free Member

Keep it simple and train to “be useful”

epicyclo

Rob Hilton – Member
    ‘Get a singlespeed and just keep on riding.’
    This was my first thought as it makes you strong like ox (unless you walk the climbs…

Damn! I’ve been sprung! 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Upper body fitness’ is closed to new replies.