Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Uploading files to server question
  • Mounty_73

I need to create a single web page to upload PDF files via ftp and up onto the server.

How difficult is this?

I have a good understanding of HTML and ftp etc, but there must be more to it…..any help appreciated?

sharkbait
    Free Member

How would you handle authentication? Sounds like it would enable anybody to upload any old infested file.

poly
    Free Member

if you upload files through a “web page” you don’t normally use FTP.
    if you use ftp you don’t really need a “web page” – most browsers will let you access FTP directly.

cranberry
    Free Member

Why not just create account(s) on the server for the users and get them to use Filezilla ?

somouk
    Free Member

Best way forward is to use some form of CMS that is easily available. Or if it is hosted space use their GUI upload system.

Just give all the users different usernames so you can log who uploads what too and disable accounts when people leave if it’s public.

oldnpastit

bensales
    Free Member

If all you want to do is distribute PDFs to people, use Dropbox or similar. No point making life harder than it needs to be.

oldnpastit

Don’t use ftp. The passwords get sent in the clear (unencrypted). It makes it too easy to steal them.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What Ben said actually – Google Drive, shared folder, anyone with the link (in Advanced put a tick in ‘Prevent editors from changing access and adding new people’)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’d suggest google drive too.

Any reason it’s unsuitable?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Uploading files to server question’ is closed to new replies.