Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Uplift Woes
  • kimbers

Nooo, I love Nant G, been meaning to go back for ages

Watch the Tea & Biscuits Trailer Here.

I know lots are still running, but I hope prices don go up too much, uplifts are pricey enough already!

rOcKeTdOg

Its what pedalling uphill was invented for

whatnobeer
    Free Member

On a downhill bike? No thanks.

kimbers

rocketdog……..

chiefgrooveguru

British Cycling really love mountain biking don’t they?

iolo
    Free Member

No more Caersws? I didn’t know. That’s awful. I love that place.

oldnick

I don’t think BC like the fact that this country reliably produces world champions without their ‘help’, and indeed anything outside a velodrome is viewed with distaste.

The daft thing is the HSE doesn’t go prosecuting everything in sight, but the H&S officers in every organisation seem convinced that anything beyond sleeping is an invite to being sued, which is a convenient excuse to stop doing anything remotely interesting.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Sounds as if the problem isn’t BC specifically, but who ever they use to underwrite their insurance. If they big insurance guys aren’t playing ball then there’s not a lot BC can do about it.

bensales
    Free Member

Quote from that article…

“I have contacted over 30 different insurance companies with every single one of them sending a thanks but no thanks email / phone call in return as they dont really understand what it is that they are insuring.”

So why not explain the the companies what you are seeking insurance for, which is a short range private bus service. Frankly, I can understand insurance companies not want to insurance a tractor and trailer type thing with a bunch of teenagers hanging onto the back, but I can’t see why a Transit style minibus with an enclosed trailer carrying the bikes would be a problem. Scout groups and schools all over the country do it successfully.

kayak23

, I can understand insurance company’s not want to insurance a tractor and trailer type thing with a bunch of teenagers hanging onto the back, but I can’t see why a Transit style minibus with an enclosed trailer carrying the bikes would be a problem

It would be a problem to physically get a transit up some of the tracks I guess.

Anyone remember the double decker Pearce trailers? Bikes shoved up on top, everyone sitting underneath… 🙂

The old Dragon quarry trucks were interesting too.

It’s depressing seeing things head this way, but it’s the way everything is heading sadly.

rOcKeTdOg

whatnobeer – Member
    On a downhill bike? No thanks

🙄

m0rk
    Free Member

I’m not surprised nobody wants to insure uplifts like this

vs say BPW, with their Transits & seat belts & tacho’s

kayak23

m0rk – Member 
    I’m not surprised nobody wants to insure uplifts like this

I can’t remember ever hearing about any injuries from that type of uplift, and I think the sort of people that would partake were the sort who generally took responsibility for their own decisions.

I do remember some tense moments in those sorts of trucks though when two might pass each other on a steep and narrow fire road 😮

Those bike racks they started adding were a luxury!
    Used to be just stacked top to tail with a piece of foam in between if you were lucky.. 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with a tractor uplift. A bit cold in the winter but otherwise fine.
    Did anyone ever fall or get hurt on the back of a tractor/trailer type uplift.
    Surely it’s just a means to get bike plus rider to the top of a hill.
    Nant G used 52 seater coaches to get up.
    The accidents occurr on the way down a a track.
    Race days normally have some kind of medical support (Extreme Medics or whoever similar).
    Surely if uplifts had this the insurers might look at covering them. It would cost more but you would still get to practice your favourite tracks.
    The current stance on insurance companies refusing cover might also be influenced by that poor girl being killed by a flying bike in Llangollen during a Borderline race. The thinking being that if a person can die during a race, it’s more likely to happen during an uplift due to the presence of less experienced riders? I don’t know.
    I just hope this gets sorted.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone remember the double decker Pearce trailers? Bikes shoved up on top, everyone sitting underneath…

I got a flat at Bala near the top, hopped in that one for a lift down. There is a reason they pack it tight and you need to wear a Full Face, it’s like leaving an empty can in the back of a rally car.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That looks like one of the old Taff Buggy uplifts.

To be honest, there was quite a lot wrong with them. Ratchet strap holding you in & that was it, and bikes getting raped in the back.

The old Dragon quarry trucks were even worse. No excuse for bikes getting wrecked. Thankfully things have come a little way since then.

There was an incident at Moelfre a few years ago with a tractor/trailer uplift rolling over too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Presumably the insurance covers the downhill bit too which might be expensive?

I can’t see why a Transit style minibus with an enclosed trailer carrying the bikes would be a problem. Scout groups and schools all over the country do it successfully.

Better than a trailer full of people, but youre still trying to insure a bus full of kids up a rough fire road trying to get as many runs in as possible. It’s a bit more risk than say a minibus on the motorway.

Drac

It’s not all doom and gloom though …

Update: It’s worth noting that it’s not all doom and gloom. This doesn’t effect all uplift services in the UK and many are still fully insured and still running safe and well. Flyup Downhill at Forest of Dean and Gawton run on public roads and are fully insured and there are a number of other uplift providers still running fully insured throughout the country, Bike Park Wales is a good example. If in doubt, ask to see evidence of insurance from your uplift provider before you book.

So it’s about using the right vehicle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From what I heard when I left about 3 years ago, everyone in something in a legal seat as if it was on the road was what was going to be the standard.

iolo
    Free Member

So why is Nant G struggling?
    The uplift starts and stops on a public road, fully surfaced with tarmac.
    The riders are shuttle to the top using coaches.
    Only the bikes are trailered.
    What’s the problem with that?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No, they get their uplift insurance thrown in as part of the PL insurance for the cafe, car park etc.

Specific uplift insurance without that element is harder to come by. The insurance is only for the uplift, not needed for the riders coming back down again 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s got to be about the DH bit more than the uplift hasn’t it?

Saw Si Paton comment on FB about insurers looking for similar safety standards as at DH races, eg marshalls, medics.

Hopefully one of the operators might spot this thread and give us a bit more insight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a bit more risk than say a minibus on the motorway.

I think you want to go away and have a wee think about that one.

Sandwich

By company does the WDMBA mean a broker or an insurance company? If it’s the latter then it’s no wonder that are having trouble. If the former then they need to show and tell the broker/change broker. Not much help but they will need to keep trying because eventually they will find someone in the broking trade who will know about the risk.

Tractor 1 above is ok from an adapted vehicle point of view (could use some toe boards), tractor 2 would be screwed in the event of an accident. The trailer is not properly adapted to carry passengers, collective protection before paperwork protection applies.

Drac

No, they get their uplift insurance thrown in as part of the PL insurance for the cafe, car park etc.

Ermmm! Someone still has to pay for it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ermmm! Someone still has to pay for it.

Yes, the likes of FOD, BPW, etc are a much bigger, commercial venture, rather than say the WDMBA putting on an uplift once a month at Rheola for a maximum of 25 people paying £25 each.

You’re comparing something that probably takes more in car parking fees over a weekend (FOD) than the WDMBA takes over an entire year.

The standalone insurance is the issue in this instance. Not who or how it’s paid for. It seems there are very limited insurers interested in covering such a setup.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Has there been anything more come to light on this subject in the last month?

matt_outandabout

Did anyone ever fall or get hurt on the back of a tractor/trailer type uplift.

From an insurers point of view the possibility and liability of this are the issue, not precedence.

As above, it seems the type of vehicle and trailer being used may be the issue.

matt_outandabout
    Trekster

SDA and UpliftScotland have been managing fine for years albeit after a bit of a hiccup a few years ago when rumour has it a trailer/van load of journos on a familiarisation tour ran off the road. FC obviously had to review how uplifts were being carried out…. 💡

jskiffin
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses, some good news 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Uplift Woes’ is closed to new replies.