• This topic has 37 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Uplift in Hebden? (Don't laugh!)
  • grumm
    Free Member

Actually you can laugh all you want – see if I care. 🙂

Basically I've got a mate in Hebden I stay with fairly often, but never managed to go riding over there. I'm still not particularly well – I've cycled up some of those hills before on a road bike and it nearly killed me, and that's when I was relatively fit. Soooo…..

Is there any where my gf could drive me to do some decent descending from? Don't mind a bit of up and down just not the piss-takingly steep sided valleys that go straight up from Hebden.

Yeah I know MTFU etc – so, anyone? Is this a silly idea?

(was over there yesterday and saw a couple of lads on proper DH bikes down in the valley, which is what gave me the idea – doesn't have to be proper DH tracks though, just fun techy descents)

MartinGT
    Free Member

I know were all different but I like to have my descents rewarded and tbh I love climbing and dont mind descending.

But yeh, MTFU 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

hahahahhahahahahaha….. im a 5ft dwarf lol….if i can get up those hills …theres no excuses Grum!

ton

i just walk up them when i ride there. 8)

thepodge
    Free Member

catch the bus, they have bike racks on them

nigew
    Free Member

Yep you should really MTFU but
    Ive had my wife drop me off for two good rides, only because of the children riding with me you understand 😳
    First one is from the White House at Blackstone Edge and do the Resevoir circuit followed by The Rock Garden to Stoodley Pike then drop down to HB to meet her
    The other is up Keighley Road to where the bus turns around and push up the hill to Limers Gate and drop into the Luddenden Valley to be collected from Jerusalem Farm
    or are you looking for short descents only?

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks nigew – I can probably handle long descents, will check them out – cheers!

And thanks for all the MTFU comments 🙄

You may have seen some of my other threads but basically I've been pretty much unable to ride a bike at all for the last few months due to CFS/ME and have to be very careful not to push myself too much and set myself back.

nbt

The best bet is to speak to the chaps @ STW towers – there are half a dozen routes down from Heptonstall alone. I'm sure I read an article years ago where the local bus had a bike rack and Ben spent the day shuttling, not sure if it still runs though. If I had access to a van, mate, I'd happily drive a shuttle for you and Mrs NBT

dale
    Free Member

try the Pecket well decent into Hardcastle crags, easy road acess, interesting enough for several runs

ton

dale….. 8)

nigew
    Free Member

Dont do the White House route then, it could finish you off 😕

I would go with the Peckett Well option, there are two good routes down that you could do over and over, increasing speed each time maybe ha ha ha

Bunnyhop

Yep Pecket well, blue pig, lots that I can't remember the names of.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sorry, I laughed…

grumm
    Free Member

OK thanks everyone – will look into Pecket Well. Anyone got any gpx files for any of these?

nbt, thanks – I've got a bike rack, you could shuttle us in my car 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I'm well versed in trolling but grum are you serious?

grumm
    Free Member

Yes. Which part of it don't you understand?

hora
    Free Member

I can't climb for toffee yet the hills in Hebden are short and sharp not long and drawn out. The trails are great but in no way offer enough 'DH' to allow you to session them with a car. Just seems total overkill. If you want someone to sit and wait in a car for you etc- go somewhere with longer runs?

Reminds me of the 'uplifts' offered on another thread on Barry Knows Best in Peaslake yesterday.

crazy-legs

STW did a magazine feature a while ago now where they had some big hefty "freeride" bikes and they bought a day pass on the bus, loaded the bikes onto the back rack and had a day of uplift. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

The trails are great but in no way offer enough 'DH' to allow you to session them with a car. Just seems total overkill.

Hence why I was asking if it would be worthwhile or not.

go somewhere with longer runs?

Where do you suggest? Did you read the part where I said I have a friend in Hebden Bridge who I stay with quite often?

Thanks for your contribution though. 🙄

I'll try and dig out this article ppl are referring to.

hora
    Free Member

grum I might ride round Hebden on Sunday (although very early!) if your about? I'm very slow but its worth the climbing. You really don't realise how much height you are gaining. The Pixie's push you along.

grumm
    Free Member

Can't do this weekend – will post up here again if I'm heading that way.

So how long would it take to do a typical Hebbo descent from top to bottom roughly? I reckon I could probably manage to walk up and ride down once but then I'd probably be done for.

hora
    Free Member

Theres someone even more unfit than me? 😆

From the bottom (Hebden turning circle) to the top of Heptonstall I reckon 10mins (taking it steady/easy) climbing. Upto Pecket- similar again. Its easier as its roads so you dont feel the pain as such.

grumm
    Free Member

Well done, you're fitter than someone with a debilitating illness. 😮

bigsi
    Free Member

grum – You may have seen some of my other threads but basically I've been pretty much unable to ride a bike at all for the last few months due to CFS/ME and have to be very careful not to push myself too much and set myself back

Hora – which part of this do you not understand ❓

hora – Member

We know you are, you don't need to prove the point 🙄

hora
    Free Member

CFS/ME

Sorry fella abit early for me, didn't see that bit. Please accept my apology.

nbt

grum – Member

OK thanks everyone – will look into Pecket Well. Anyone got any gpx files for any of these?

nbt, thanks – I've got a bike rack, you could shuttle us in my car

Seriously, give us a shout – mail in profile. Insurance might be an issue but we can resolve that offline

Bunnyhop

Hora – you are a numpty at times. 🙂

Grum – I would like to come along on this (fellow sufferer).

grumm
    Free Member

Hehe – awesome. Not sure when I am up there next but probably in the next few weeks. I'll get in touch.

Think my insurance covers any driver over 25 or something.

I can get 3 bikes on my bike rack Bunnyhop 🙂 Been thinking of buying a Berlingo anyway so that might be better.

BTW I strongly suspect that 'manning up' and doing the Megavalanche despite not being very well was a big factor in me getting this condition in the first place – so there!!!

hora
    Free Member

grum, I was thinking of doing this: http://descend-hamsterley.co.uk/uplifts.html

Could also be good training for you for the Mega.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I was thinking of trying something like that – what's the DH like at Hamsterley?

Not doing the Mega this year (or possibly ever again) – absolutely no chance whatsoever of being up to that!

hora
    Free Member

I've never done it but wanted to.

Dave
    Free Member

STW did a magazine feature a while ago now where they had some big hefty "freeride" bikes and they bought a day pass on the bus, loaded the bikes onto the back rack and had a day of uplift.

Be aware

1) Not all buses have racks and few of the ones that do seem to work.

2) Riding sensitive trails off Heptonstall on weekends/bank holidays is not a good idea. Trail sabotage is happening on some trails.

hora
    Free Member

Trail sabotage is happening on some trails.

As Podge found out with his acrobatic dismount 😆

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Grum, Hamsterley is worth a visit, especially as it's only about an hour and a half from Lancaster. The main DH line is nice and flowy with nothing too technical on it; there is a longish rock garden that looks a lot worse than it is (nothing compared to some of the Lakes trails you'll have ridden), a few jumps / tabletops that have chicken runs or are rollable if you don't fancy them, and some steepish switchbacks at the end. More than anything else, it's a fun track to ride.

Definitely organise an uplift though, as the push back up is a bit of a long and drawn out affair.

Woody
    Free Member

Hora

If you are doing the Hasmsterley uplift can you post something up or mail me. I fancy something like this as I've been in fat mincer mode for too long 8)

hora
    Free Member

Could do. I'll also speak to Pook. He seems to be good at organising things whereas I couldnt organise **** all.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks stopadoodledoo

I'm def up for doing an uplift day at Hamsterley at some point – it looks from their site like they run every weekend at the moment, is that right?

hora
    Free Member

We need to get this in the diary.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Uplift in Hebden? (Don't laugh!)’ is closed to new replies.