Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Upgrading Windows XP to W10
  • jairaj

I’ve got an old computer running Windows XP that I’d like to resurrect. I only intend to use it for web browsing, editing documents and general office use. Nothing too intensive and the hardware spec can handle it. But I was thinking of upgrading the OS to Windows10 so new programs are more compatible with it.

Looks like the cheapest way to do this is to get a W7 upgrade for ~£30 from here and then get a free W7 to W10 upgrade.

Rather than pay ~£80 for a straight XP to W10 upgrade from here.

Have I got the right end of the stick? or am I missing something?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Sounds right.

Just backup any files you need.

I upgraded my W7 to 10.

Then after register my key I could then download an Iso to my usb for future installation.

Cougar

There’s a thing called the Windows 7 Readiness Tool. Run that first, then you don’t get any surprises.

Also, if I remember rightly there’s no direct upgrade path from XP to W7 – it’s a flatten and reinstall job.

Cougar

Mia culpa, it’s the “Upgrade Advisor.” Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20

jairaj

Cool thank you for confirming the upgrade path. I was intending on wiping the PC and doing a clean install anyways.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Software Geeks are cheaper – just done it to mine today.
    You can just upgrade keeping your files.
    clean is better but mine is flying.

ampthill

I thought that the new windows (7 onwards) was quite fussy on hardware. Something to so with digital rights management.

Time will tell I suppose

Cougar

I think either I’ve missed something or you’ve got something confused. Are you talking about Secure Boot perhaps? That’s Windows 8 onwards (and isn’t really anything like DRM).

ampthill

It all kicked off with VISTA and the need for signed drivers. Which I think stopped it running old hardware

Looking at it again the DRM thing was windows needed to see an approved video card for HD playback from blu ray

However there is windows 10 32 bit. So at least you don’t 64 bit drivers for old components

But I’m not an expert and apologies if I’m talking rubbish

squirrelking
    Free Member

Cougar is right, you need a processor capable of running the required secure instructions, early Core2 processors didn’t have the capability and can’t run anything after 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/system-requirements

See the processor link.

Intel has all the info on their specs and is easily found if you know your processor type (download CPUZ if you’re not sure: http://www.cpuid.com/). I dare AMD are the same.

You may get lucky and have one that had it in an early release, I was and got 10 installed on an old laptop with 2gb of memory. It’s not fast but in fairness I’ve not tried to make it faster, it runs everything at default and it’s not as terrible as you might imagine. Still not great though.

gwaelod
    Free Member

If you are only doing web browsing and office you could look at putting a lightweight Linux distribution on there with Libreoffice instead of Microsoft stuff. Will cost you nothing, and you can check it all works with your machine by running of a CD before installing it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading Windows XP to W10’ is closed to new replies.