Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Upgrading wheelset, what options??
  • gnusmas

I currently have a set of Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels and thinking about upgrading. I would be looking for some all mountain/freeride type wheels (not XC or DH), any ideas what sort of things i should be looking for before making a decision? There is a mind numbing amount of choices out there, after suggestions of possibilities.

20mm bolt through front, 135mm QR/10mm bolt through rear and dics ready are the only criteria.

Thanks

djflexure

I would just go for Hope pro IIs on Stans Flow. Nice and versatile, lightish, strong. Easy to maintain and relatively inexpensive. Job done.

zangolin
    Free Member

Plus one for Hope pro 2 Evo on Flow ex. Easy tubeless set up and spares easy to get hold of.

gnusmas

Thanks for that, will look into these options. Any other suggestions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What is your weight limit/range

Best option buy a pair of hope hubs and get a nice set of hand built wheels made, next best get a set of Hope Hoops and rebuild nicer when ready.

I’m in the mavic camp so it’s XM719 (new wheels coming), EN521 (decent price all rounder) or EX721 (lighter DH rims) been running the EX721’s and they are really strong & tough but just too much for my current riding (loved them in the lakes!)

gnusmas

I have been looking at the EX721s as it happens, i am after something strong and they seemed to be the sort of thing i was looking for. Just thought i would see what opinions the hive would have.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well on the EX’s they are 2 years in, few spokes replaced and a quick true after and they have been awesome. Couple of tiny dings but nothing you wouldn’t expect from off piste lake district, mega, alps trips and some DH use. Stuck some EXO Ardents on a few months back and still fine.

They are heading to the HT now as the riding I’m doing out here in Oz doesn’t make them an advantage. The full sus is getting hand built XM719’s for general riding now and I expect the EX’s to last a long time on the HT.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading wheelset, what options??’ is closed to new replies.