Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Upgrading shock on a Lapierre Zesty 314 2012
  • jimmyc223
    Free Member

Sorry guys I have searched the forum and have not found a definitive answer. I have a Zesty 314 2012 with a RP2 shock which I believe is 200×50. I have the option of getting a great deal on a Bos Viper 200×58 and wondering does anyone know if this compatible. I have read previous posts about the Zesty being able to be changed to a Spicy by changing the shock extender as they are essentially the same frame which would make it a 160 travel bike as opposed to a 140. If I were to put on the Bos Viper and bottom it out to check clearance, as long as it cleared then should it be ok ? or would there be other issues to consider. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I thought the standard fox shock was a 200×57 so it probably wouldn’t make any difference?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

My 2012 zesty is 200×57, but I would like to know the spicy shock sizing if anybody knows it 🙂

honourablegeorge

My old (2010) Spicy was 216×63 – and the Vip’r was a fantastic upgrade.

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Yes actually Yorkshire89 you are probably right so this would actually be a straight swap in that case then. Thanks for replies

jimmyc223
    Free Member

The Viper is actually 200×57 but I always thought it was 160 travel when mine was 140. My mate put it on a nukeproof TR

yorkshire89
    Free Member

It may be more or less travel on a different bike, it depends on the suspension design… I think.

jimmyc223
    Free Member

I thought the travel would be dictated by the stoke length only not the suspension design

chakaping
    Free Member

Does the Vipr have a specific tune (like most shocks)?

If it has high compression damping, for example, it will probably ride crap on yr Zesty.

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member
    Does the Vipr have a specific tune (like most shocks)?

If it has high compression damping, for example, it will probably ride crap on yr Zesty.

Comes in three base tunes IIRC, and there’s rubber o-rings to tune further, similar to Fox air spacers, you specify the bike when ordering and they tune it to suit, there’s a chart shoing bikes. tunes and number of o-rings on their site

honourablegeorge

jimmyc223 – Member
    I thought the travel would be dictated by the stoke length only not the suspension design

Combination of both – my Makulu, for example, has a 10.5″x3.5″ shock that gives 200mm travel, Specialized Status also gives 200mm travel but with an 8.75″x2.75″ shock (low leverage ratio versus high on the Status)

The longer the shock, the lower spring rate/air pressure you’ll need.

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Well the bike has been beefed up already with 150 forks on front, through axle, wider bars, stronger wheels etc. I live in Ireland we dont ride trail centre its all natural rooty rough stuff so I was thinking the Viper would make a difference when things get rough

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Mad Elk are BOS dealers and based in Dublin so I could get them to tune for me

honourablegeorge

I’ve loved my Vip’r in Ireland

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Thanks hounourablegeorge, I have checked the BOS website. Its confusing because when I select my bike, it states ZESTY<2012(not possible after, Specific shock) does this mean that the 2012 model is okay then or is it before 2012 is only acceptable can anyone advise

honourablegeorge

Newer Zestys (Zesties?) have a different shock mount, it’s rotated 90°, so may be too narrow for the wider shaft of the Vip’r – I’m guessing, but I’d say if your rear shock axle runs vertically instead of horizontally, the Vip’r won’t fit.

jimmyc223
    Free Member

MadElk have confirmed it fits alright no problem, I think I have the older Zesty 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading shock on a Lapierre Zesty 314 2012’ is closed to new replies.