Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Upgrading seven speed road bike
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Got an old 105 7 speed uniglide hub on an old road bike. Been reading sheldon brown who suggests you can upgrade the hub to 8/9 speed hyperglide by replacing the free hub body. Anyone done this and know what part to buy?

Will need to tweak the frame to increase the distance between the dropouts too. It’s an old Reynolds 531. Anyone done this successfully?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it’s a freehub cassette, easy (UG can refer to screw-on freewheels too).

You need a 8/9/10 speed freehub body and matching cone/seals, and yes spread the dropouts a bit too (literally grab them and pull them apart – 4mm is what you need).

Piece of piss.

PaulD
    Free Member

Sheldon also mentions ‘8 out of 9 on 7’ as a viable solution where you fit 8 sprockets off a 9-sp cassette (a spider may limit choices) and use a 9-sp shifter to index for the 8 sprockets.
    This will use your existing splined freehub and be low cost.
    You would only need the 9-sp sprockets, shifter and chain.

PaulD

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. I think I’ll try and replace the body. I’m not entirely sure what it is, i’ll just take it appart and have a look. The freehub body is the type where the last cog of the cassette screws on (no lock ring) so don’t think the 8/9 on 7 thing would work, unless I got a HG 7 speed body.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A 130 hub slotted in with just a little encouragement on the stays. I’ve not bothered with the cold setting. Anyone know if that will be ok? Reading Sheldon Brown he suggests that the dropouts would need to be tweaked. It’s only for the turbo trainer so I’ve not done them up that tight. Will it be ok or is it somehow going to trash my hub bearings (it’s a power tap hub so I’d rather it didn’t!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

It will be fine.

Milt
    Free Member

If it’s the type with individual sprockets with separate plastic spacers & you end up having any bigger than 21T spare, let me know if you want to sell them. (Currently struggling with 42/21 lowest gear) Got the same problem, so I’d be interested in an update on how you get on.
    cheers

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Al. Seems fine.

Milt, biggest is 24t. I think it’s an individual sprocket, if it is then you’re welcome to it. I’ll let you know when I find my other chainwhip and get the cassette off. I use to ride around Snowdonia on the same bike as a kid with a 42/24 lowest gear, sadly I can only conclude I was a damn sight fitter and quite a bit lighter back then!

PaulD
    Free Member

Milt,

I have loose single sprockets from old Shimano cassettes in these sizes:

20 23 24 26 28 29 30 34

Want to make me an offer for a few or the lot?

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading seven speed road bike’ is closed to new replies.