Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Upgrading my Scandal to a Lurcher
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone else thinking of doing this? Tempting at the price, anyone have any experience of both?

Nezbo
    Free Member

Yep, very tempted… But I have a custom frame bag to fit my scandal and I already have a carbon 29er that is awesome… And I’m also happy with my scandal as a everyday bike. Ok just talked myself out of it.

I’m interested to hear people’s thoughts on both though.

I have a scandal v1 (the one with the straight seat tube)

cp

Not a huge difference in weight, wonder if there is much ride difference. My Scandal rides lovely though, so it would have to be significant for the faff involved.

benman
    Free Member

Sat on both in the on-one showroom. Preferred the scandal, not a fan of the huge flat tube sections of the carbon frames. Holding the bare frames there didn’t seem to be much weight difference either.

That and the fact I would have needed a new front mech, new BB etc…

Straightliner

I have had Scandals (26ers) in the past and now run a Lurcher. I don’t think there really is that much between them, in all honesty and the cost to change the relevant components may even make the ‘man maths’ a bit wobbly.

For me the Scandal is one of the best alloy frames I’ve ridden for comfort and performance. The Lurcher is also pretty comfortable and while mine is pretty light all in (race forks, singlespeed, reasonable wheels) it may not be much less than a comparable Scandal.

The final downside for me is the rubbish press-fit BB on the Lurcher – would much prefer a normal external type.

nuke

Not a huge difference in weight, wonder if there is much ride difference. My Scandal rides lovely though, so it would have to be significant for the faff involved.

…and…

The final downside for me is the rubbish press-fit BB on the Lurcher – would much prefer a normal external type

Agreed

mos

I went from one of the old pink scandals to a lurcher (bloody £500 one) and found it a worthwhile swap. I think the lurcher is a comfier ride, it was almost the perfect bike until i talked myself into a pyga.
    Changing from one to the other was a pita though. First isis middleburn cranks had to go for some xtype ones and an uber biz token bb ( which are a pita to get out). Then needed new heaset so got the smoothie mixer, again, bizzle but new bearings cheap enough from superstar, i think the crown races are extra too? Then seatpost was different diameter as well. Also, check your steerer as the headtube may be a different length. You’ll also need a seat clamp. Another thing, the cables run under th downtube so if your scandal runs along the tt, you may need a new rear cable. And the f mech is direct mount, not a clamp on.

instanthit
    Free Member

I have been looking at the lurcher frame’s for last few days, just plucking up the courage (the flexible friend type) to upgrade my ss inbred, which is a great bike but i do like carbon. Anyone run a lurcher ss and rigid?

Straightliner

Yep, as above I run mine rigid singlespeed. I came directly from an Inbred 29er to the Lurcher and it builds up much lighter, but I think the ‘race’ forks are stiffer than the old carbon offerings with the alloy crown.

My suggestion would be as a new frame then definitely take up the bargain offer, as an upgrade to an Inbred I would say yes, do it for the weight savings. From a Scandal, the difference is not so high, and the cost to change ramps up with all the different bits of componentry needed.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m thinking the biggest draw is the lure of carbon whilst keeping the riding position/geometry I’m happy with. I was for trying a pair of the Chinese carbon wheels as I probably need new hoops more than I need a new frame.

cp

I’m thinking the biggest draw is the lure of carbon

but what’s that giving you?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I know, I’m pretty much falling for the carbon is better because it just is. I think I’m going to give it a miss anyway, a dropper post or the needed new wheels would probably be money better spent.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading my Scandal to a Lurcher’ is closed to new replies.